General Fight Club

Good idea, I should find time to put it into cube cobra (or is another website better?).

It is a tad slow due to the power level of creatures, but certainly not busted. Most of the busted cards in urza block are actually not busted in this cube. Which cards do you expect to be busted?
Busted?:

etc

CubeCobra is the way to go. It's a hassle at first, but then you can spend all day staring at your list while thinking it's not good enough, so that's a big plus.[/ci]

Two small things:

1. Can you please check for me how many UWx decks that were uploaded each year? So we can get the % running Celestial Colonnade.

2. Do you think you could do us the favor of tagging each card you write in the future? You can learn about how to do tags and other public services here:

https://riptidelab.com/forum/threads/how-to-card-tooltips-card-images-and-decklists.273/

Thank you very much <3

1) The site filters by many different UWx archetypes and sometimes sorts decks incorrectly due to human error. If you want to find this specific figure you can try and calculate it on your own time.

2) sure, i figured since most of the cards were stuff already talked about in this thread that it wasn't necessary and also they're all just lands so i assumed everyone here knows what a raging ravine is. my bad.

2) sure, i figured since most of the cards were stuff already talked about in this thread that it wasn't necessary and also they're all just lands so i assumed everyone here knows what a raging ravine is. my bad.

No worries man! It's not a rule set in stone. Just something we do on this site whenever we can and don't forget :) The idea is, it takes a little extra time for the writer but there are a lot of people reading the written text so it's a service you're/we're doing the reader.

I sometimes forget too :D

Busted?:

etc

CubeCobra is the way to go. It's a hassle at first, but then you can spend all day staring at your list while thinking it's not good enough, so that's a big plus.
Thank you, I had to create a cube on cubecobra and hence it took a few days. I put the cube in my signature, but here is a link https://cubecobra.com/cube/overview/16se

Regarding the perceived OP cards:
Tolarian academy and Serra's Sanctum suffer from the lack of having many cheap artifacts/enchantments. This makes these cards often quite a risk since they are a dead land drop often.
Gaea's Cradle is strong since every deck plays creatures and there are some cheap ones. This is definitely a strong card (Deranged Hermit anyone?)
Metalworker is strong, but again, it is rare to have more than 8 artifacts in your deck.
Memory Jar reads as draw 7, play a land and 2 cards from those seven, discard the rest. So effectively a slightly better harmonize.
Grim monolith is strong, it helps cheat out Phyrexian colossus. Effectively the monolith is a slightly stronger Dark ritual which was not strong enough in an early iteration.
Replenish is nice, but you are lucky if you have 8 enchantments in your deck. That said, returning a Pestilence or a Serra's Embrace is quite painful for the opponent.
Time spiral is potentially a dangerous card, especially with Gaea's Cradle or other free cards like Treachery. Still, it costs 6 mana and since there are no cheap mana artifacts/rituals it is a strong, but fair card.

To summarize: If you do not have access to 4 cards of each, most broken cards falter. Urza block lacks cheap mana artifacts and has no storm payoffs.

There are some cards which will make the opponent groan when you play them.

It is possible and often happens that the opponent (barely) wins against these cards.

In a general Cube, your usual Sneak Attack/Opposition/Grim Monolith etc. In this Cube... Pestilence?
You are right that Sneak attack is not too strong in this cube. The best targets are Weatherseed Treefolk or Viashino Cutthroat or one of the creatures with enter triggers Dark Hatchling. Opposition is painful in combination with Goblin Marshal but the problem with opposition is that without creatures it is a dead card.

That leaves Pestilence, which often reads destroy all creatures (and it is gone) or it destroys 3 of your opponents and 1 of your own. It is on par with Vile Requiem. It becomes a bit nastier if you have Voice of Grace or Pariah.

Gave it three drafts. Had to read some cards because I am not too familiar with Urza's draft chaff lol. Some weird designs in that block, for sure. A lot of great ones, as well.

Left some comments on each deck.

Last edited:
Gave it three drafts. Had to read some cards because I am not too familiar with Urza's draft chaff lol. Some weird designs in that block, for sure. A lot of great ones, as well.

Left some comments on each deck.
Thank you! I will look at them fresh in the morning!

@Rusje

I drafted a really slow but really awesome Golgari deck. Obviously I love the old school vibes of your cube, but I think it is a bit weird to have multiples of rares even. I've got two Deranged Hermits! I could imagine that this reduces variety and also the chances of that blocks draft chaff that you still have to run. If there are multiple Hermits, why would I play 4/4s with reach for the same cost?

@Rusje

I drafted a really slow but really awesome Golgari deck. Obviously I love the old school vibes of your cube, but I think it is a bit weird to have multiples of rares even. I've got two Deranged Hermits! I could imagine that this reduces variety and also the chances of that blocks draft chaff that you still have to run. If there are multiple Hermits, why would I play 4/4s with reach for the same cost?
Because in real life you would not be the only green player... the bots currently suck, and they wheel a hermit. Against a sky deck the 4/4 reach helps tremendously. Remember, a 4/4 for 5 is more or less on par in those days. Your deck looks great, but the Emperor Crocodile is a bit balsy with so few cheap creatures.

I was happy to have the 4/4 reach in my sideboard, but also got 2 Hermits. I think that has to be a product of the bots sucking. Or some luck could make it happen in a real draft.

I'm back with this one again ...

Assuming you're playing a draw-go-ish, blue based control deck, do you like it more or less than a Cancel-variant with minor upside like this one?

And if you do like Spell Snuff more, would something like a single Umara Wizard be enough to change that?

deprive is very cool as a small synergy package...
Mystic Sanctuary
Lonely Sandbar
Halimar Depths
Radiant Fountain
Hedron Crab

Still unplayable with those cards. No matter how low-power. You cannot consistently put yourself back 1 full turn in any format without always playing catch up for the rest of the game. You are not only 1 mana behind on the following turn. You are 1 mana behind on every turn until you have no more lands in hand.

In super late game, fine.
If you’re already mana screwed, fine.
In odd, weird games, fine.

But not consistently. On average it will make you lose the game.

Aren't you a little too hard on it? In Z3neikar limited people almost always bounced two lands when dropping Kazandu Stomper, and I think it was often correct, as even two minor landfall triggers were worth it over having 7 lands in play.

Aren't you a little too hard on it? In Z3neikar limited people almost always bounced two lands when dropping Kazandu Stomper, and I think it was often correct, as even two minor landfall triggers were worth it over having 7 lands in play.

I might be. It is my opinion.

The Stomper is part of the ‘late game’ and if you tell me you will not cast your Deprive until you have 6 lands on the battlefield, then you have a really, really bad counterspell and you might as well run a Spelljack instead.

Stomper doesn’t force you to bounce two which makes it a strict good ability. Bouncing two makes sense on the late game if you can benefit from it. But you would probably not include Kazandu Stomper in your 23 if it was forced bounce.

Whenever you are forced to do something negative to yourself by your own cards, you get an above par effect. With Deprive you are not really.

I disagree with Velrun's Deprive hot take.

It's the more interesting of the two effects, but only interesting if you take advantage of the land bounce in a meaningful way. If you don't have a handful of cards that interact with it, I don't really see the point. Beyond profitable etb lands, there's landfall, revolt, tithe effects, retrace, cycle lands, + many more ways to take advantage of Deprive from a synergy standpoint

I personally can't stand fateful hour as a mechanic. I would recommend one of the 15 other cancel variants over it

Last edited: