General Fight Club

Yeah, I like Clockwork Servant a lot. It's at it's best in mono/heavy {W} or {U} because there you got both blink an artifact synergies.

When I am splashing white in a mostly mono red deck, I would still want as much fixing as in a straight boros deck. Maybe even more, because I want as few lands that don't produce {R} as possible, yet I need a certain amount of {W} sources still to cast something like the mentor on curve. Sure, they might not compete for white cards just like a two-color drafter, but they do compete at least very similarly for the {R/W} fixing in my experience.
For sure, the mono-red player trying to splash their one white card doesn't want to play any basic plains if they can avoid it. Fixing lands let mono-color players stick to their lane and still be able to splash something cool, meaning they still fill the role of a mono-color player when drafting spells. That's really the benefit of extra fixing for aggro: it lets players stay fully commited to their primary color without needing to completely abandon all other colors in order to maintain a consistent deck. It opens up a lot of cool options for players for a nominal slot cost.

I'm glad we could come to a common understanding on this issue :)

Same

But note that it is strictly a mono white, mono black or Orzhov card. Not a card that can go into a 3-color deck like Teysa easily could. And no colorless utility lands either.

Teysa. Because she‘s a creature so can add pressure to the board. The enchantment can be a dead draw, doing nothing. And of course a creature is easier to deal with than an enchantment.
Let me phrase it like this: even in my Orzhov token/sac Edh I couldn’t find space to play Dramatic Finale.

vs

I run both BWG tokens and BWR sacrifice as themes. Which of the above would you run as a bridging BW card?
I would say neither because these cards aren't great archetype anchors.

I ran Teysa back when she was new as an aristocrats/afterlife build around. She was fine, but she was an overcosted vanilla creature roughly half of the time she was played. The types of engines Teysa Karlov wants to be a part of are hard to assemble in most environments and Teysa doesn't contribute to those engines as much as one might expect.

Dramatic Finale is not a good card to use as a bridge. As Velrun pointed out, it's usually only castable in decks with only White or Black mana. A Green/White base token strategy or Black/Red base aristocrats deck can't use this card effectively, for example. Likewise, the trigger just isn't good in a token-heavy deck since it only works when a nontoken creature dies. In a lot of circumstances, Dramatic Finale is just the world's worst Glorious Anthem, which isn't ideal.

Personally, I would look to try something like Hidden Stockpile (if you aren't on it already) as it does a much better job of bridging the gap between tokens and aristocrats, being a token and sacrifice enabler while also being a sacrifice payoff. Stockpile is super popular around here for a reason, it's great glue!

Otherwise, I would give some gold removal a look. Most designers seem to overlook gold removal spells when trying to curate synergy-based environments. Even though these cards might not spell out what the color pair is trying to do, they will usually go far further to making gold decks playable than a random signpost. For example, Vanishing Verse goes great in not only Tokens and Crats, but other B/W based archetypes like Esper Control, Artifacts, Knights, and so on.

Hopefully this helps!

4/5 vigilance lifelink for 4 but with activate only as a sorcery and once a turn
And on the back side, a Gruul 6/3 creature with haste, trample, reach and “Whenever Claw of the Burning-Tree attacks, target creature can’t or block until the end of your next turn.”

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
And of course, it would see absolutely no play because expensive baneslayers aren’t all that good in 2021, even in Standard.

:texas:
I mean, arguably, Goldspan Dragon is one of the best creatures in Standard right now. I don't know how much you want to count that as a baneslayer, since it has haste, but still. On the other hand, two birds and one turn probably takes the cake as the best "creature" at the moment...

I mean, arguably, Goldspan Dragon is one of the best creatures in Standard right now. I don't know how much you want to count that as a baneslayer, since it has haste, but still. On the other hand, two birds and one turn probably takes the cake as the best "creature" at the moment...
Because it has haste and makes treasures without needing to attack (although it usually DOES get to attack), I don’t think goldspan really qualifies as a Baneslayer. It’s kind of on the edge, but I would say it’s still a firm no.

Last edited:

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I think there wasn't a single other creature that came close to being a baneslayer featured at worlds this weekend, so your point still stands regardless :)

Claw of the Burning Tree also has haste (and an undefined mana cost. could be 1RG for all we know lol)
It’s more of the treasure than the haste that does it for goldspan imo. You always get a little value out of your dragon even if it never attacks.

fwiw claw could see play if it cost 1RG or maybeeeee 2RG, but since it’s an MDFC I think it’s unlikely it costs less than 3RG. Dying to lightning strike is also a pretty sizable downside.

Thanks for all the replies.

I have played Hidden Stockpile and Maw of the Obzedat before with limited success: the former was efficient but unexciting; the latter powerful but overcosted.

I will try Teysa and Finale out, but suspect that I will ultimately go back to stockpile: seeing the card again was a reminder that it triggers on leaving play, so will also support Esper blink.

I have the most difficult decision to make. I decided to go down on gold cards, which is more or less easy for me in 9/10 cases, but it also means I have to cut one card from my gruul section, one of two who work with gruul madness (as I don't think having both gold card be signposts for the same deck would do my cube's variance any justice). But which one?

I like Gallia since she lets me discard cards for free on turn three, that's Wild Mongrel-rate and enables agressive starts, which is cool. But Madness doesn't always have to be super aggressive, Stormbind has been very good in aggro too and I think it has more application outside of that specific deck.

Please help, I feel unable to make a decission here.