General Fight Club

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
or

These two cards fulfill different roles, but I'm wondering which of these has been working out better for those who have run them. Pyromancer is a neat way to churn through a stall and gives you a way to pitch cards into the grave if that's something your deck is interested in. I've definitely used it in an R/x deck before just to pitch (mostly) useless lands later in the game to try and draw into burn to close out the game. It's been a fine roleplayer for the most part and being able to turn it into a kill spell to clear a blocker has been relevant every now and then. Human subtype is always appreciated for Champion of the Parish and Thalia's Lieutenant interactions as well. It's just a nice clean design.

I gave Adversary a run for a bit but shelved it till now as I had other options to try out. It plays fine with the base mode passable in an aggressive shell and the Snapcaster impression being quite useful in the late game if you can recur a Char or Exquisite Firecraft. There is also a non-zero amount of vampires in my cube nowadays to give Falkenrath Pit Fighter a little extra game to it and this also plays well in a R/W Winota, Joiner of Forces deck. I can see positives for both cards, but I really like my red two drop slot at the moment and wanted to see which of these seem better in the long run (which is probably just till next set with how often we get cards nowadays).
I have played and cut Dismissive Pyromancer, as it plays a lot slower than it looks. The activation cost on both abilities is what kills it, in my experience. Nowadays I run Heartfire Immolator in that slot, which does nothing for card filtering, but is a lot more reasonable about the shooting stuff down part. Instead of Bloodthirsty Adversary I run Dreadhorde Arcanist, which is a lot more exciting mana wise, but does need a certain threshold of power increasing options. Bonesplitter (I run two of those), Grafted Wargear and Rancor seem great options in your cube. I personally have been a fan of Livaan, Cultist of Tiamat in my cube, since it wants to be run in the same shell. You do have to look past (or sticker over) the "Choose a Background" line. I might make a custom in the future, like I did with Lurrus (it has ward {1} instead of companion in my cube).

There is a minor mill "theme", but nothing really relevant. Blue decks can fill their own yard quickly but on the first 2-3 turns So Tiny might do more.

Which one do you prefer? I want to try one with my next update. I'm open for running both at some point but I want to start with the better version.

There is a minor mill "theme", but nothing really relevant. Blue decks can fill their own yard quickly but on the first 2-3 turns So Tiny might do more.

Which one do you prefer? I want to try one with my next update. I'm open for running both at some point but I want to start with the better version.
I think Spontaneous Mutation is cooler because it's easier to scale with how you build your deck instead of having to work around whatever the opponent is doing to get a larger power reduction. Getting 2 cards in your graveyard is easy enough to achieve that I think the two cards have relatively comparable average floors in the early game, and I think getting 6+ cards in your graveyard is a lot easier than keeping 7 cards in your opponent's graveyard.

Mutation for me. Simpler line of text wins out despite inferior art.

Okay, lets extend this question into a more general thing: Imagine you are a blue control deck, low on removal, maybe even mono blue, and you are facing an aggro deck. Would you rather have an aura like Spontaneous Mutation or a cheap road block like let's say Omenspeaker?

Because what I'm trying to do is to make the matchup for mono blue a little less miserable than it has been in the extensive data I've collected (one game since the winter update).

Okay, lets extend this question into a more general thing: Imagine you are a blue control deck, low on removal, maybe even mono blue, and you are facing an aggro deck. Would you rather have an aura like Spontaneous Mutation or a cheap road block like let's say Omenspeaker?

Because what I'm trying to do is to make the matchup for mono blue a little less miserable than it has been in the extensive data I've collected (one game since the winter update).
Well personally I'd always rather have Omenspeaker than Spontaneous Mutation, but that's only because Omenspeaker is really awesome.

If the cheap roadblock is less interesting, like Wall of Mist or Glimmerbell, then I would rather have the Mutation.

Additionally, Mutation is good if you're in a deck that is heavily noncreature focused, like a U/R deck from Shadows over Innistrad limited.

I'd also take the Omenspeaker, because it's less dependent on my opponent having creatures (since you can technically beat someone to death with a 1/3, while that option is off the table with the Mutation).

omenspeaker is great
also, the solution for mono blue control to get good removal is to stop being mono blue and go splash for some good removal in colors that get it

Thragtusk was the bane of my existence back in innistrad - return to ravnica standard when I played white weenie but, it's a good sweet midrange card. 5 life and 2 bodies is pretty good of one card though

My favorite is

But I also appreciate the number of lines of text on Thragtusk although it is strange it has an ‘leave the battlefield’ and not ‘dies’. It was printed like this to be a house in Standard with Restoration Angel but it feels weird many years later.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
My favorite is

But I also appreciate the number of lines of text on Thragtusk although it is strange it has an ‘leave the battlefield’ and not ‘dies’. It was printed like this to be a house in Standard with Restoration Angel but it feels weird many years later.
As someone who doesn't lean as hard into flicker as a whole archetype, this ends up being a bailout upside more often than it becomes oppressive.
If you've got graveyard elements in your cube, some amount of your interaction exiles, and probably a healthy amount of it.

There's a decent risk to actually putting a 5 drop in your deck, I'm okay with giving them some insurance for that.

Obv this whole math changes if either a) flicker is a common occurrence or b) a 5 drop is just not a risky include at all.