General Fight Club

Looking for a 6mv control finisher at a low power level here.

24f01503-03d3-4d74-b9d0-b973f7d66094.jpg
82ebfe9c-a584-41d2-a33e-7aefbe55de0e.jpg
9b809f89-13c7-4236-86a5-60745defb271.jpg
Glasskite looks like the best control finisher of these three. Sphinx feels very underwhelming and Ephemeron requires expending tons of extra resources to keep it from dying. Glasskite is difficult to remove, but not frustratingly so, and only requires a one time cost to play.

I thought about the Swarm too, but I don't like that it's protection won't generate card advantage in any way. Similar to Cerulean Sphinx. And the mill clause seems to add words that will rarely matter.

I'll go with the Glasskite. It's simple, will probably do a good job and I am always happy to add a Kamigawa card with their unique flavor.

Thanks guys <3

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb

These are two that I have run (and still run in case of the Sphinx). I like both of them, Keiga being more generic but more annoying to remove, and the Sphinx giving more direction and being able to snowball if you have, say, some thopters on the board already. I would recommend both!

Reactions: dbs
I like both, but I use Jade Mage for the mana sink. In slower, card-advantage constrainted environments, mana sinks are really useful to give a player a conversion path of mana -> CA. Passing with 8 mana up and nothing to do with it feels quite bad. Jade Mage is at a decent point in the conversion in that it's not something you often do when you have other cards to play (so it's not repetitive), but the rate is good enough that it can break a board stall over time. Also secret synergy with counterspells.

Don't get me wrong, Nest Invader is great too. Eldrazi Drones are an elegant agency mechanism. Quoting myself from https://desolatelighthouse.wordpress.com/2020/12/14/awakening-zone-one-card-a-day/:

My favorite part about Awakening Zone is how much agency it gives to its controller. The Eldrazi Spawn can chump block, ramp into slightly expensive spells several times, or into one huge Ghitu Fire. The Spawn can be sandbagged for Overrun, equipped, and even sacrifice to pay the equip costs in a pinch. The addition of the resource “Eldrazi Spawn” is, in my opinion, what made Rise of Eldrazi a good limited format. It is a resource naturally and elegantly weaved into the game, unlike Energy, which feels more artificial. The game framework itself provides multiple things to do with the Spawn, and the combinations in which the mana can be spent adds a great deal of freedom to gameplay in the format.

On a side note, I find it weird that I love Awakening Zone but I don't have any time for From Beyond. I think it's a combination of it costing one extra mana and being a messier design.
I can relate

I like both cards though, just Zone more than Beyond.

Awakening Zone can help cast the very expensive cards. From Beyond can do this too but it also helps the player get the expensive card, which is very, very nice. However I would never ever run From Beyond if the sacrifice text was trinket text. Very important to have a cool Eldrazi if you want From Beyond in the cube.

How many pay offs do you run? How many of those are Eldrazies?

I like both, but I use Jade Mage for the mana sink. In slower, card-advantage constrainted environments, mana sinks are really useful to give a player a conversion path of mana -> CA. Passing with 8 mana up and nothing to do with it feels quite bad. Jade Mage is at a decent point in the conversion in that it's not something you often do when you have other cards to play (so it's not repetitive), but the rate is good enough that it can break a board stall over time. Also secret synergy with counterspells.

Don't get me wrong, Nest Invader is great too. Eldrazi Drones are an elegant agency mechanism. Quoting myself from https://desolatelighthouse.wordpress.com/2020/12/14/awakening-zone-one-card-a-day/:

I had the same conclusion, that's why the Mage holds that slot currently. But recebrly my girlfriend complained about it, said the card was pretty useless to her. Well, she always had a Spitting Image or a Chainweb Aracnir in the yard or was just drawing cards to Evolutionary Leap, basically had always something better to do with her mana. And that might just be more often than not the case in my format. I hay success with Ant Queen, but that is also super beefy on stats and makes the 1/1s for 66% of the price.

Yeah, multiple repeatable mana sinks don't add up very well, as the player is just using mana in the most efficient way (though Evolutionary Leap in particular is pretty good with Jade Mage) and that tends to be activating the most efficient mana sink. You might have enough of them that Jade Mage isn't worth running.

Yeah, she had the right deck for it with two or three other sac outlets in black and even a Moldervine Reclamation. But the Mage never got avtivated more than once.

The card also sits at a weird spot in the curve. Cast early it's just a piker that is pretty likely to die before you have the spare mana. And late you probably still prefer most 6+ drops.

Hm, depending on how cheap your interaction is though you can still play this early, then "double spell" by playing a cheap removal spell + activite the mage's ability on like turn 4-5

Which of these would you prefer both to play and face? Loxodon warhammer just seem impossible to race, but getting a 4/4 flier when connecting seems pretty good as well.

They are both at the highest power level in my cube. I put them in the same top 25 %.

Two weeks ago I played against a Loxodon Warhammer. I dealt about 60 damage to the opponent before I lost. He had 18 life total left when I hit 0. The game was decent but I certainly learned the hard way how almost impossible to race the Equipment is.

It has been some times since I saw the Sword in action but I remember it playing a bit different. It’s a lot more like Sword of Body and Mind than a life gainer. But the token is large and has flying. The Equipment lacks protection.

If you have to face one, I think you should choose to face the sword. It’s a little more interesting if you ask me. In a perfect world you wouldn’t need to include either card. There are so many Equipments to choose from today.