General Fight Club

As someone whose current design goals include catering to beginners, I have a huge appreciation lately for Savannah Lions, Watchwolf, Woolly Thoctar, etc.
I am all for clean, elegant magic cards, even vanilla creatures. But to be fair, those all have more agency even than Taranika. They don't have vigilance, so you have to decide wether you want to attack or block. And those don't turn other attackers into indestructible 4/4s, which means other creatures also don't get free attacks, as they could actually die in combat.

Taranika is so anti-agency, it's incredible :D

Last edited:

Which of these do you like best and why? I already run all other black ninjas that aren't too good for my power level (basically all he rares). But I would like one more if possible.

Reactions: dbs
I'd say Skullsnatcher or Dokuchi Silencer. They have the best base bodies per cost, and their damage abilities are quite good IMO. Not a big fan of french vanilla beatsticks, even with ninjutsu, and the Azra just doesn't jive with me. I guess the 'make a blocked creature indestructible before damage' thing is pretty neat, but.. meh.

Which of these do you like best and why? I already run all other black ninjas that aren't too good for my power level (basically all he rares). But I would like one more if possible.
Personally, I think most of these cards are uninspiring. I think the only one I would actively want to put into a deck is Dokuchi Silencer, as that card is both decent in it's own right but also has a bunch of cool synergies with the discard deck.

However, Dokuchi Shadow-Walker might actually be a fine option for your Cube. Most of your creatures are tiny. In fact, there are only about 25 creatures in your Cube with power or toughness greater than 4, and almost all of those are expensive green creatures. Silencer's large body and "surprise factor" as a Ninja actually makes it an interesting option in context.

Neonate feels disappointing to cast 25-50% of the time, whereas I always feel like I get my money's worth out of Epicure. I would go to two Epicures before I added a Neonate unless Aristocrats really need a boost or something.

Silencer is my choice right now. I'll stick with him for the moment.

Next up:

Could the Voldaren Epicure be the red Craben Inspector? The cycle is almost complete.

vs.
Context:
~60% of my creatures have power 2 or greater
~40% have power 3 or greater

+ a bunch of really cheap kill spells in {B}
Goal: I want to enable an aggro combo deck that can really go over the top, e.g. with Brute Force into Temur Battle Rage on turn three.
Chosen card will be best buddies with Dreadhorde Arcanist.

In these type of bursty, aggro-combo decks (and specifically an Izzet flavor being my favorite deck to draft/play), I like the extra toughness on Festival Crasher just to help ward off attacks against other aggressive decks while searching for the pieces I need for that showdown turn. And, I like being able to send in with a 3-toughness vs. 2-toughness creature on earlier turns to chip in a few points of damage to bring the opponent into the red-zone; that extra point of toughness just makes it slightly safer to do so.

That said, Kiln Fiend has worked really well when the spells aren't so aggressive-focused in their effects. Just playing a bunch of removal, bounce, and card draw on a turn is enough to situate Kiln Fiend as a potent game-ender even without the extra pump spells. Maybe that just makes it a safer option in a cube that doesn't dedicate as much room to those kinds of spells.

Idk, I think the pick maybe comes more down to the supporting cards that will end up in that deck. I find the biggest issue with these decks is getting the last 2 or 3 points of damage, where the combo turn puts the opponent at 2 or 3 life and things just kind of end right there. You end up running out of cards in hand or more likely creatures to threaten with, and most of your top-decks don't look threatening to your opponent after that combo turn. That's why I think strategically, getting in those extra points of damage on earlier turns is so crucial.

Maybe you have given it some consideration or already axed it, but I've found Burning Prophet to play really well in this deck as well. It trades some of the bursty-ness for something I find the deck needs a lot of help with -- digging for more gas! I find more decks will play the Burning Prophet just for the scry effect alone, so maybe you want this card slot to end up wheeling more often into the aggressive players draft pool.

In these type of bursty, aggro-combo decks (and specifically an Izzet flavor being my favorite deck to draft/play), I like the extra toughness on Festival Crasher just to help ward off attacks against other aggressive decks while searching for the pieces I need for that showdown turn. And, I like being able to send in with a 3-toughness vs. 2-toughness creature on earlier turns to chip in a few points of damage to bring the opponent into the red-zone; that extra point of toughness just makes it slightly safer to do so.

That said, Kiln Fiend has worked really well when the spells aren't so aggressive-focused in their effects. Just playing a bunch of removal, bounce, and card draw on a turn is enough to situate Kiln Fiend as a potent game-ender even without the extra pump spells. Maybe that just makes it a safer option in a cube that doesn't dedicate as much room to those kinds of spells.

Idk, I think the pick maybe comes more down to the supporting cards that will end up in that deck. I find the biggest issue with these decks is getting the last 2 or 3 points of damage, where the combo turn puts the opponent at 2 or 3 life and things just kind of end right there. You end up running out of cards in hand or more likely creatures to threaten with, and most of your top-decks don't look threatening to your opponent after that combo turn. That's why I think strategically, getting in those extra points of damage on earlier turns is so crucial.

Maybe you have given it some consideration or already axed it, but I've found Burning Prophet to play really well in this deck as well. It trades some of the bursty-ness for something I find the deck needs a lot of help with -- digging for more gas! I find more decks will play the Burning Prophet just for the scry effect alone, so maybe you want this card slot to end up wheeling more often into the aggressive players draft pool.
Thanks for that great analysis.
When adding that deck to my cube I came to similar conclusions and tried to add all the necessary tools to {R} to make this functional.

Some more cool options

I think running Kiln Fiend is correct if you're confident that you can keep the board clear of blockers in the early turns. E.g. if you're running {R}/{B} and just keep on doomblading whatever they play and attack with your 4/2 until they fall over.

I'm also wondering how these guys are holding up compared to

The version of Burning Prophet that I run is Dragon's Rage Channeler. :D

You talk about doomblading your way into the opponent's face, I think you could extend that into Blue. You already have

Snap
Echoing Truth
Aether Spellbomb

You could probably add cards like

To further ciment the aggro-combo deck in Blue and play well with your discard matter cards in Red and Black (especially since you have Sprite Dragon and Psychatog in your cube already).

Not sure if it fits into your goals, but seems like you are almost supporting it already.

You talk about doomblading your way into the opponent's face, I think you could extend that into Blue. You already have

Snap
Echoing Truth
Aether Spellbomb

You could probably add cards like

To further ciment the aggro-combo deck in Blue and play well with your discard matter cards in Red and Black (especially since you have Sprite Dragon and Psychatog in your cube already).

Not sure if it fits into your goals, but seems like you are almost supporting it already.
Wonder is just such a beating at my power level and you often don't get a chance to react to it. Waterfront Bouncer is pretty cool and maybe it is time for his return.
Now that you say it, I can see that there is quite some tension in my {U} aggro section between spells matter and madness.
vs.
But like @Heymaker, {U}/{R} prowess is one of my favorite decks. Shu Yun connecting for 8 dmg is such a great feeling. :D
So the prowess payoffs will probably stay, even though it makes it harder for my drafters.

I looked up some more potential bounce spells to strengthen the archetype and found out there is something for everyone:
- Fading Hope / Perilous Voyage / Unexplained Disappearance: if you want to smooth your draws and keep the wheels turning
- Just the Wind / Recalibrate: to further push madness
- Blink of an Eye / Into the Roil / Repeal: if you can take the tempo hit and don't want to go down on cards
- Vapor Snag / Unsubstantiate: if you want tempo
- Snap/ Snapback: if you want even more tempo :D
- Withdraw: if you hate blockers
- Echoing Truth: if you hate tokens
- Geistwave / Boomerang: if you cube Demonic Pact or want a slower Blink archetype

A few fights I'd like to get opinions on!

vs

I like triggering landfall off an artifact, but I also have some juicy Map targets (creature lands in all colors, Tolarian Academy, Gaea's Cradle, Urza's Saga, Field of the Dead, ...).

vs

Not quite the same type of card, but they do what I am looking for: Refill your hand when you get low on cards. I like the open-endedness of the Ox, which doesn't care about which card type fills the GY. I don't know how bad that escape cost is though.

The little I've played with ox, I found escape 8 to be quite burdensome. Thats a lot of cards to boot from a grave in one go. Haven't really had a lot of luck with either in practice.

Expedition map if you've got good targets

vs

I like triggering landfall off an artifact, but I also have some juicy Map targets (creature lands in all colors, Tolarian Academy, Gaea's Cradle, Urza's Saga, Field of the Dead, ...).

vs

Not quite the same type of card, but they do what I am looking for: Refill your hand when you get low on cards. I like the open-endedness of the Ox, which doesn't care about which card type fills the GY. I don't know how bad that escape cost is though.

vs

vs

I think I'm on Map and Ox as well. Bedlam Reveler is ok too, though, especially in Multiplayer. You could probably play both and be fine.

I am looking for a cut in red for the new Glittering Stockpile and I've come down to three candidates for the axe.

I have a strong madness (and a reanimator) theme, but this is probably the rummage effect I like the least in my list. It's sorcery speed and loses games to counterspells. Discarding two is also more situational but can also lead to much more broken plays then Thrill of Possibility can.

Fling is situational but potentially strong. That's good for a mdfc land, but it doesn't really synergizes with any red decks in the format.

This is quite the threat and I like that a white based lifegain deck or any really aggressive one can pick it up too. It's also an artifact, but so is stockpile, so I could see me cutting this too.

What would you do?

I am looking for a cut in red for the new Glittering Stockpile and I've come down to three candidates for the axe.

I have a strong madness (and a reanimator) theme, but this is probably the rummage effect I like the least in my list. It's sorcery speed and loses games to counterspells. Discarding two is also more situational but can also lead to much more broken plays then Thrill of Possibility can.

Fling is situational but potentially strong. That's good for a mdfc land, but it doesn't really synergizes with any red decks in the format.

This is quite the threat and I like that a white based lifegain deck or any really aggressive one can pick it up too. It's also an artifact, but so is stockpile, so I could see me cutting this too.

What would you do?
first cut for me would be dragon followed closely by reunion. fling is usually gonna be bad but having it on a land makes it infinitely more maindeckable.

why dragon first? 1. it’s not really a red card, and it’s a Halana and Alena type effect- “do you have removal? you win. do you not? i win.” yes even i don’t like these kinds of cards
why reunion? same reasons you said basically. getting 3 for 1d by Censor is big sad