General Fight Club

the thing about GW as a guild is basically all the cool cards are gold so just run extra gold slots imo. CML was saying this five years ago and it's still true
Heh, I'm already doing that - my Selesnya section now consists of 7 card instead of the usual 5. However, the 2 add-ons are hybrids (Dryad Militant and Nature's Chant).

I guess I'm still looking for an identity for my Selesnya section - I'm trying to make it like a Hatebear/Toolbox style color combination that can answer threats and problem cards reactively. However, no player has drafted this color combination yet, but I suppose only performing two runs with my cube so far isn't enough of a test. I'm running the following currently:

I think Gaddock Teeg is getting pushed out for Eladamri's Call. Gaddock is merely a 'pet card', a remnant of my cube when I was just ramming any card I owned. But where my cube is pretty lean in the cmc department, his static abilities might as well do nothing. I'm always looking for suggestions to improve this section however. I do like some of the suggestions thrown around so far, so I'll keep testing the waters until the guild finally finds itself. Maybe I'll end up replacing Dromoka's Command for Qasali Pridemage... Knight of Autumn might as well play as a charm similar to the Command anyways. Beh, I donno...

Reactions: dbs

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I've always found voice to be a bit overbearing as just the largest persist creature of all time
Also if Renegade Rallier can return Wasteland, I'd ...well I'd cut wasteland but I wouldn't include it on those grounds lets say.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Arc Lightning I feel is fine, quite beatable.
Arc trail is pretty over rate unless there's like a 0.5% incidence of 1 toughness in your cube, I'd default to sidelining it.
Burst lighting is great. Nothing to complain about

I've always been impressed with Arc Lightning. The flexibility is key, you can either bolt something or arc trail somethings, or even kill 3 creatures with one spell. Or kill two 2/1s and ping their face, it doesn't matter. You always get what's best for you. It's incredible in control and still awesome in aggro. I've never cut it from a red deck.

But the best part is the skill testing. Do I wait for the best opportunity? What is the best value I can get? Do I kill the mean 4-drop? Or the two or three smaller creatures? I think I'd only add Lightning Bolt and Incinerate to a cube bedore adding Arc Lightning.

When I posted this I thought I might drop Arc Lightning for Burst Lightning. Now I'm thinking I might make room for more flexible burn somewhere instead.

I love Burst Lightning and Arc Lightning and I strongly dislike Arc Trail as it's not very flexible and has a very high ceiling for 2 Mana. I also like my burn spells to be at sorcery speed and not too strong (Lightning Bolt is such a broken card), as burn already is very flexible.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I'm back to running both, after running experiments with other options, like Exclusion Mage. In my opinion blue wants to run more than a few bounce spells, so you should have room for both. In fact, in my 450 I also run Kederekt Leviathan, Repeal, Silent Departure, Stolen by the Fae (which is awesome) in the mono blue section, and Consign // Oblivion, Silumgar's Command, Dinrova Horror, and Temporal Spring in the multicolor section. I specifically like Venser and Cloudskate because both of them can bounce Demonic Pact :)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
If you run Demonic Pact (or a lot of other things that care about self-bounce, i.e. "slow-blink"), it's very clearly Cloudskate. If you don't, that's a tough pick! I think I would go with Brazen Borrower, just because it moves at instant speed and makes keeping up Counterspells easier, because this also lets you affect the board if you don't have to counter something.

Bramble Sovereign looks pretty strong, I don't like that kind of design.

Beast Whisperer encourages you to do things so you get something out of it, just like Midnight Reaper etc., but I also find that kind of effect to be pretty strong. I like the Whisperer, though.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I had Bramble in my cube at one time, and the player who drafted it absolutely loved it. I still cut it because you can only run so many green 4's, and I wanted to make room for something else. Play experience with the card is A+ though (for the pilot) :)

Whisperer seems much more fair, which is a plus for me, but still great in the right deck and far from narrow. Sovereign looks more crazy, but it is also more pushed. If that fits yourpower level I'd vote for the fancier card.

Beast Whisperer is okay, the problem I have with it is it's place on the curve. The 4 drop slot is when you start deploying bigger threats to the board to start closing out the game (in my cube at least), and you don't really want to waste time on set-up cards without immediate impact unless you can follow it up with something big. Beast Whisperer giving every creature the ability to draw you a card when you cast it is nice, but if you're deploying one per turn it won't be worth it unless you're in a super grindy matchup. If it were a three drop as a 1/2 or something, I'd be all aboard and be running it forever. As a 4 though? The idea of it was better than the actual gameplay. It's a mainstay for me in any green EDH deck where I can churn out multiple triggers in a turn later in the game, but in my cube it didn't quite get there. YMMV depending on power level, but I'm not really into an engine piece at that slot when there are many more compelling options.

vs
The RRR on Seismic Assault is kind of scary. Molten Vortex also requires heavy red, but it can function on RR. It's more expensive in total at 3+ activations though, which is where you want to be. Thoughts?