General Forced Synergy Cards In Cube

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
So, I was experimenting with Goblin Lackey and really not enjoying the experience. It just seemed wierd that the lackey could force out big moves like Siege-Gang Commander or get me 0 cost stone rain (Goblin Settler), but couldn't let me drop a Wrecking Ogre or Avalanche Ridereven though those are much more fair plays.

It made little sense. There was no intrinsic gameplay reason for any of this. Some cards are just tagged goblin and others aren't and its completely irrespective of the role they play in your deck or the cube. Having power attached to a label that, in and of itself, has no mechanical value is frustrating. My decision whether or not play cards like Goblin Lackey, Rotlung Reanimator, Coralhelm Commander, Wizened Cenn and Priest of Titania isn't informed by how they perform, what gameplay they produce and how fun they are to play. Rather, its decided by how many of the appropriate creature type are available to fill the requisite roles in the cube. They require compromises that other cards don't just to be played.

The task of standardizing creatures types is too daunting for me in terms of execution. Redesigning these cards to have more solid, mechanically informed triggers seems potentially interesting. Imagine that Wizened Cenn worked on all White Creatures or Goblin Lackey could put any creature with power 2 or less into play. Now these cards can be considered for inclusion in an intelligent manner related to their gameplay, rather then simply "Not enough Kithkin, GG!"

Basically only Gravecrawler gets away with being designed like this because of the combination of base power (Jungle Lion is kind of not useless!), proliferation of useful creatures of the relevant type and upside.

Thoughts?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I think that without resorting to errata you have to accept this stuff as one of the intrinsic limitations of cube. There's been a lot of talk about tribal on these boards, and if you wanted to do it well at a high power level your best bet is probably designing (cards/a set) from scratch.

Rob Dennis

Developer
Just a small note that I found Priest of Titania to actually be a bit too good in my ~450 card list, just as a result of all the creature-based ramp that happened to be an elf. In two separate drafts my opponents had it be a 3-4 mana producer at very relevant parts of the game. My goal was to have a 2-drop who could tap for 2 "occasionally" and it smashed through that goal

CML

Contributor
Tribal cards are designed with Constructed, and to a lesser extent traditional Limited, in mind. They just don't translate well to cube

Drafting tribes in conventional Limited is similarly unsatisfying IMO