General Fun Budget Cube Cards

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Thinking of putting a minor graveyard theme in. I'm really unfamiliar with budget cards, so I don't have a good sense of what synergies and interactions exist at that level. Time to drill into Gatherer all weekend.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Image.ashx

The only PW that is possibly cheap enough. But probably still not cheap enough.

Stacking damage is a great way to add power and interest factor to cheaper cards. Leme tell ya, echo tracer looks a lot more fun with damage on the stack.

I'm also really into lyzolda, if no one has figured that out.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Young Pyromancer, Runechanter's Pike, Keening Emblem, Blistercoil Weird, Kiln Fiend, Gelectrode, Nivmagus Elemental, Nivix Cyclops

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
I need cheap "spells matters" cards.

I really like Charmbreaker Devils. It's a lot of fun. In the right deck it'll get you a burn spell, counterspell or draw spell every turn, then attack for 8. In a lot of cubes it's probably not fast enough or powerful enough, but I like it.

Also for fun budget cards, I really like Sphinx of Uthuun. It's a decent sized finisher, and usually foffing at that point really closes out the game for you.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Look to pauper or pez for awful cards that can do work if you make sure no one has a lot of good cards.

Unfortunately a lot of the pauper and peasant cards are kind of expensive (at least for this exercise). There are a lot of bulk rares that are high powered but just not T1 (like the above Sphinx of Uthuun).

I'm not sure how this would run in a superbudget list, but I've just decided to put an old bulk rare favorite that I had dropped back in: Praetor's Grasp. It's one of those cards that made no impact in any format, but is oddly perfect for cube--basically a Bribery for artifacts. It's skill testing and fun, and it feels great to snag that Sword that they were going to beat you with and win. Sure, you can occasionally grab a piece of a combo or an answer-card in a color you're splashing, but usually it's just a three mana tutor-for-their-best-artifact card.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Praetor's Grasp has been a favorite in our five color control decks because you can just play your opponent's best card. It's grabbed Akroma, Doom Blade, Hypersonic Dragon, and Traumatize, just in recent memory. Then of course in a singleton format it's just better than Cranial Extraction if that's what you need it to be.
while patently worse, did you know about extract?
I'd contemplated adding it as a rider to the odd blue/black spell I made, but it never really panned out. (Eg: Cancel + Extract for {1}{U}{U})

As an exercise, I built a $50 MTGO cube a while ago. I've since updated it a bit, but it's a pretty fun exercise. It's nice not to worry about someone walking away with a "traded" deck.

I've also built a cube for my sister-in-law entirely out of cards I've removed from my main cube, supplemented by dirt-cheap bulk staples such as Mulldrifter/Lightning Bolt. It's nice to be able to look at a recently-rotated set and pick up awesome $0.25 rares that have a home in a cube. Ooh, let's see what Avacyn Restored has for us:

Terminus: $1.50. Pricey, but wraths are hard to come by cheap...
Angel of Jubiliation: $0.60
Wolfir Silverheart: $0.38
Somberwald Sage: $0.35
Champion of Lambholt $0.30
Lightning Mauler: $0.20
Stonewright: $0.04
Thunderous Wrath: $0.10
Divine Deflection: $0.18
Ulvenwald Tracker: $0.21

Not bad, not bad...