Gimmicky Cube (540, unpowered, themed)

I've updated this cube. Give it a draft at cubetutor and help me collect data!
http://www.cubetutor.com/draft/13664

Old post:
WU = 45 (0)

Rare (5)
Mentor of the Meek
Galepowder Mage
Reveillark
Deadeye Navigator
Tradewind Rider

Uncommon (16)
Wall of Omens
Flickerwisp
Azorius Justiciar
Court Street Denizen
Riftwing Cloudskate
Ghostly Flicker
Lyev Skyknight
Mistmeadow Witch

Common (24)
Azorius Arrester
Kor Skyfisher
Momentary Blink
Whitemane Lion
Aether Adept
Mulldrifter
Ninja of the Deep Hours
Archeomancer

(0)

WB = 45 (0)

Rare (5)
Rhox Faithmender
Felidar Sovereign
Archangel of Thune
Pontiff of Blight
Crypt Ghast

Uncommon (16)
Knight of Obligation
Lingering Souls
Ajani's Pridemate
Feudkiller's Verdict
Blood Artist
Greed
Tithe Drinker
Vizkopa Guildmage

Common (24)
Syndic of Tithes
Basilica Guards
Aven Riftwatcher
Soul Warden
Syndicate Enforcer
Basilica Screecher
Grey Merchant of Asphodel
Vendetta

(0)

UB = 45 (0)

Rare (5)
Shakashima's Student
Venser, Shaper Savant
Sower of Temptation
Ink-Eyes, Servant of Oni
Puppeteer Clique

Uncommon (16)
Glen Elendra Pranksters
Familiar's Ruse
Faerie Imposter
Cloud of Faeries
Marsh Flitter
Throat Slitter
Shipwreck Singer
Call of the Nightwing

Common (24)
Pestermite
Sentinels of Glen Elendra
Spellstutter Sprite
Forbidden Alchemy
Dreamspoiler Witches
Thieving Sprite
Okiba-Gang Shinobi
Launch Party

(0)

UR = 45 (0)

Rare (5)
Kaho, Minamo Historian
Talrand, the Sky Summoner
River Kelpie
Past in Flames
Charmbreaker Devils

Uncommon (16)
Grasp of Phantoms
Turn // Burn
Mystical Teachings
Brain Freeze
Guttersnipe
Burning Vengeance
Goblin Electromancer
Gelectrode

Common (24)
Preordain
Think Twice
Dream Twist
Delver of Secrets
Firebolt
Kiln Fiend
Flame Jab
Faithless Looting

(0)

BR = 45 (0)

Rare (5)
Disciple of Bolas
Grave Pact
Death Cloud
Greater Gargadon
Siege-Gang Commander

Uncommon (16)
Fleshbag Marauder
Scavenger Drake
Reassembling Skeleton
Gnawing Zombie
Goblin Bombardment
Young Pyromancer
Rakdos Cackler
Murderous Redcap

Common (24)
Carrion Feeder
Dregscape Zombie
Viscera Dragger
Bloodthrone Vampire
Mogg Fanatic
Mogg Warmarshal
Hellspark Elemental
Vithian Stinger

(0)

BG = 45 (0)

Rare (5)
Sewer Nemesis
Extractor Demon
Corpse Dance
Splinterfright
Deadbridge Goliath

Uncommon (16)
Tortured Existence
Unburial Rites
Reanimate
Undercity Informer
Boneyard Wurm
Life from the Loam
Pharika's Mender
Worm Harvest

Common (24)
Balustrade Spy
Gravedigger
Stinkweed Imp
Rotting Rats
Krosan Tusker
Golgari Brownscale
Jungle Weaver
Gnaw to the Bone

(0)

RG = 45 (0)

Rare (5)
Ember Swallower
Bogardan Hellkite
Molten Disaster
Birthing Pod
Reach of Branches

Uncommon (16)
Recoup
Stoneshock Giant
Grab the Reins
Flametongue Kavu
Eternal Witness
Nemesis of Mortals
Ground Assault
Skarrg Guildmage

Common (24)
Fiery Fall
Ridge Rannet
Chartooth Cougar
Ill-Tempered Cyclops
Sakura Tribe Elder
Cultivate
Nessian Asp
Citanul Woodreaders

(0)

RW = 45 (0)

Rare (5)
Legion Loyalist
Krenko, Mob Boss
Five-Alarm Fire
Emeria Angel
Geist-Honored Monk

Uncommon (16)
Skirsdag Cultist
Firefist Striker
Stormblood Berserker
Blood Ogre
Accorder Paladin
Goldnight Commander
Akroan Hoplite
Sunhome Guildmage

Common (24)
Gorehorn Minotaurs
Skinbrand Goblin
Massive Raid
Krenko's Command
Daring Skyjek
Boros Elite
Doomed Traveller
Deftblade Elite

(0)

GW = 45 (0)

Rare (5)
Doubling Season
Collective Unconscious
Avenger of Zendikar
Scion of Vitu-Ghazi
Cloudgoat Ranger

Uncommon (16)
Bestial Menace
Sprout Swarm
Ivy Lane Denizen
Masked Admirers
Midnight Haunting
Phantom General
Kitchen Finks
Vitu-Ghazi Guildmage

Common (24)
Moldervine Cloak
Travel Preparations
Penumbra Spider
Centaur's Herald
Eyes in the Sky
Trostani's Judgment
Seller of Songbirds
Attended Knight

(0)

GU = 45 (0)

Rare (5)
Polukranos
Renegade Krasis
Ooze Flux
Simic Manipulator
Cytoplast Manipulator

Uncommon (16)
Crowned Ceratok
Strangleroot Geist
Experiment One
Roaring Primadox
Leech Bonder
Simic Fluxmage
Shambleshark
Zameck Guildmage

Common (24)
Giant Dustwasp
Durkwood Baloth
Nantuko Shaman
Young Wolf
Cloudfin Raptor
Steady Progress
Stormbound Geist
Errant Ephemeron

(0)

Multicolor (10)
Lavinia of the Tenth
Divinity of Pride
Silent-Blade Oni
Melek, Izzet Paragon
Tymaret, the Murder King
Varolz, the Scar-Striped
Borborygmos, Enraged
Firemane Avenger
Collective Blessing
Vorel of the Hull Clade

(0)

Land (25)
Triland
10 Vivid Land
Terramorphic Expanse
Cloudpost
Glimmerpost

(0)

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
All environments have their mix of linear and less linear strategies. Perhaps you can dig up Zac Hill's Innistrad design notes, he does a good job talking about this kind of idea.

It looks like most of your themes aren't too mechanically isolated. Things like kicker and cycling and battalion just slot into regular decks. I might be a little more careful with the Golgari themes. Basically I would focus on how to layer the archetypes and find cards that do well across multiple themes / mechanics.

The one I am most concerned with is the artifact theme. It was executed really poorly in Alara, and poorly in Modern Masters (in my opinion), as a ton of their card designs just have no value outside of the artifact deck. I don't know if it's good for the environment, but maybe you can pull it off with clever executon.

When artifacts are just one of many themes you're trying to push, you need cards that are already playable on their own but give extra benefit to the artifact deck, sometimes for subtle reasons. Depending on what your curve already looks like, Galvanic Blast, Kuldotha Phoenix, and Indomitable Archangel could all be reasonable inclusions even without a large artifact density in the cube. They're ordinary cards that incentivize you to pick up artifacts that are otherwise marginal in your deck. In general you want as many of your slots as possible to be cards that help more than one strategy.

Whenever you're trying to assemble a deck that uses a linear mechanic like arcane or a threshold mechanic like metalcraft, cards that provide selection go up considerably in value. Considering how many of those you've outlined here, I'd recommend a significantly above average number of cheap selection cards to make sure everyone has the tools to play a consistent deck. I mention this because in the list you posted I don't see a single Ponder or Preordain variant.

Also it looks sweet and I want to draft it. Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

I think artifacts may be too narrow of a theme. My judgment was a bit blinded by having done well with them in MMA drafts.

Jason, that Zac Hill article is super helpful! It's going to change everything. I think I can make the Golgari themes work, they interact with flashback, cycling, milling, and some of the dredge guys are just good on their own (e.g., Stinkweed Imp).

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the feedback, guys!

I think artifacts may be too narrow of a theme. My judgment was a bit blinded by having done well with them in MMA drafts.

Jason, that Zac Hill article is super helpful! It's going to change everything. I think I can make the Golgari themes work, they interact with flashback, cycling, milling, and some of the dredge guys are just good on their own (e.g., Stinkweed Imp).

Sweet, glad to hear the article was useful! Keep up the work, this is looking like a fun cube.

Ok, latest idea...life gain as a theme for b/w just seemed unexciting. My brother had the idea of expanding it to life gain and life payments. So white would have the majority of cards that gained life and black would have cards that cost life. I am looking for black cards that have life as a payment and are powerful, but not overpowered, and are playable in other non-life-gaining decks.

Here are the inclusions I'm thinking about:
Greed - over Yawgmoth's Bargain (not always good), Phyrexian Arena (too powerful), and Underworld Connections (another possibility). Not sure on this one. Probably will include 2 copies of this effect. What do you guys think?

Vendetta
Reanimate - synergy with the G/B graveyard deck
Night's Whisper
Bloodghast - synergy with the R/B sacrifice deck

Any other interesting ideas? Looking for cards that would work better when you are gaining life or extorting the opponent.

Didn't think of Graveborn Muse, that's a good idea, thanks!

EDIT: Also looking for something for artifacts to be doing now that I cut affinity. Will probably include some sunburst, and then maybe just utility stuff. I'm thinking I don't want to add artifacts that play too much into any color pair strategy as that's almost like adding cards to those color sections, but I'm not sure about that. I'm not set on having equal color sections, but would have to have a good reason not to.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Didn't think of Graveborn Muse, that's a good idea, thanks!

EDIT: Also looking for something for artifacts to be doing now that I cut affinity. Will probably include some sunburst, and then maybe just utility stuff. I'm thinking I don't want to add artifacts that play too much into any color pair strategy as that's almost like adding cards to those color sections, but I'm not sure about that. I'm not set on having equal color sections, but would have to have a good reason not to.

You could always run something like Crystal Shard in your blue section.

Yeah, I was thinking about stuff like Myr Sire that are good on their own, but really would shine in the sacrifice deck. I might try to add in a few artifact creatures for each deck like that; ones that are pseudo-colored because of the themes. Stuff like Porcelain Legionnaire, which is a solid aggro card, but is slightly better in the life gain/life payment deck.

I ended up cutting the artifact theme. After drafting MMA more, I ended up feeling it was too narrow, too linear, and was kind of hit-or-miss in that if there were few drafters, it was good, but otherwise, it didn't work out.

I am still refining the list, acquiring cards, and so forth. I put an updated list in the first post.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I love the new organization in that it really illuminates your thought process. On the downside, it is a little bit tricky to see how these themes might interact. Have you found that successful players generally just go into one of the 10 themes and build it out or has there been a lot of room for experimentation?

I like the idea of this cube a lot and I only looked at it briefly, so I will hopefully come back to it with better feedback later.

I'm still picking up all the cards for it, so it's still in the conceptual stage. I'm about 70% of the way there I think.

A big change in my thinking about limited is that I think formats work best when there's plentiful, but conditional or costly removal. I'm trying to figure out how to balance that for this cube. I may need one good one though, like Murder over Vendetta. Also, still not sure on Call of the Nightwing. It has some synergy with UB tempo/aggro/fliers, which is the theme of UB, and with the sacrifice outlets in B, but I'm wondering if something else would be better.

Edit: Also looking for a good red uncommon in the RG ramp deck. Arc Blade seems ok, maybe Grinning Ingus?

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I'm looking some more at this cube and I like what I see.

Vampire Nighthawk seems out of place. He's really just a big ball of stats in a section based on trickery, it seems out of place. Boneshredder could be good here. Liliana's Specter could also be good, but I take it that cards in the "uncommon" spot have to actually be uncommons.

I'm having a hard time envisioning the red/blue section being very effective. Without burst mana, I don't think storm counts are going to get you anywhere. The entire house of cards seems to be resting on the two Goblin Electromancers, which is not a good place to be. I would consider reorganizing around cards like gelectrode, Spellheart Chimera and Nivix Cyclops along with the Kiln Fiend and Delvers you already run. Unfortunately, all three of those are gold cards and not spells! I may be wrong, but I'm having a hard time seeing this section being competitive.

For a Red/Green Uncommon, you could go with Gruul War Chant or Fires of Yavimaya to give your ramped creatures a jumpstart. Savage Twister could serve a a sweeper if you want to go that route.
If anything, this thread has taught me thinking of cards in terms of rarity is really hard if you've never done it before. I was trying to think of an uncommon creature that would be good to ramp into, but I really don't know which creatures are uncommons, I tried typing in trample in gatherer while sorting uncommons and I got Pelukka Wurm and Baloth Woodcrasher.

The other themes all seem pretty good and fun to play, but I would be careful that with the number of high toughness creatures around that you have enough removal to keep the action flowing.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Jim, any chance you could either post your list on CubeTutor, or alternately, use the [deck] tags here? I find that I'm not familiar with a lot of the cards you've included, and it's a royal pain to open a new window every time I want to figure out what a card does.

If you decide to post your list here, do this:
Code:
[deck=GU]Rares
1 Polukranos
1 Renegade Krasis
1 Gyre Sage
1 Simic Manipulator
1 Cytoplast Manipulator

Uncommons
2 Crowned Ceratok
2 Strangleroot Geist
2 Experiment One
2 Roaring Primadox
2 Leech Bonder
2 Simic Fluxmage
2 Shambleshark
2 Zameck Guildmage

Commons
3 Giant Dustwasp
3 Durkwood Baloth
3 Nantuko Shaman
3 Young Wolf
3 Cloudfin Raptor
3 Steady Progress
3 Stormbound Geist
3 Errant Ephemeron[/deck]

To get this.

GU

Rares (5)
Polukranos
Renegade Krasis
Gyre Sage
Simic Manipulator
Cytoplast Manipulator

Uncommons (16)
Crowned Ceratok
Strangleroot Geist
Experiment One
Roaring Primadox
Leech Bonder
Simic Fluxmage
Shambleshark
Zameck Guildmage

Commons (24)
Giant Dustwasp
Durkwood Baloth
Nantuko Shaman
Young Wolf
Cloudfin Raptor
Steady Progress
Stormbound Geist
Errant Ephemeron

I'm looking some more at this cube and I like what I see.

Vampire Nighthawk seems out of place. He's really just a big ball of stats in a section based on trickery, it seems out of place. Boneshredder could be good here. Liliana's Specter could also be good, but I take it that cards in the "uncommon" spot have to actually be uncommons.

That's not a hard and fast rule, but it's been helpful in finding the cards of the right power level. I've changed some rarities, for instance, bumping Greed to uncommon. I tried to keep UB centered on "disruptive aggro/tempo." I cut Nighthawk for Marsh Flitter, which was in BR, and added Gnawing Zombie.

I'm having a hard time envisioning the red/blue section being very effective. Without burst mana, I don't think storm counts are going to get you anywhere. The entire house of cards seems to be resting on the two Goblin Electromancers, which is not a good place to be. I would consider reorganizing around cards like gelectrode, Spellheart Chimera and Nivix Cyclops along with the Kiln Fiend and Delvers you already run. Unfortunately, all three of those are gold cards and not spells! I may be wrong, but I'm having a hard time seeing this section being competitive.

I added Gelectrode, and cut the storm stuff. I don't think the Cyclops and the other spell pumpers, Kiln Fiend included are great, especially without enablers like Assault Strobe. I dunno, I'm hoping flashback, Burning Vegeance, and some cards from the other sections will help make UR control a thing.

For a Red/Green Uncommon, you could go with Gruul War Chant or Fires of Yavimaya to give your ramped creatures a jumpstart. Savage Twister could serve a a sweeper if you want to go that route.
If anything, this thread has taught me thinking of cards in terms of rarity is really hard if you've never done it before. I was trying to think of an uncommon creature that would be good to ramp into, but I really don't know which creatures are uncommons, I tried typing in trample in gatherer while sorting uncommons and I got Pelukka Wurm and Baloth Woodcrasher.

Pelakka Wurm is awesome, I also thought about the Wooadcrasher and considered Deadwood Treefolk. I have a lot of the cycling creatures, which are good to ramp into and also have synergy with the graveyard deck. The original theme of RG was "alternate costs" but ended up going more in the ramp direction. I agree that section lacks something though.

I'm getting close to where I am just going to order the cards I don't have and see how it plays though.