Card/Deck Golem Tribal

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Added from page 2, original post below:

...So, based on the number of times I've been asked in the thread, "why would someone do this" it would seem I've done a very poor job explaining myself. Thankfully, CML just provided this fantastic article, about tribal archetypes, which can hopefully help illuminate the topic.

Start at my Vamps thread here: http://riptidelab.com/forum/threads/vamps.361/. To the typical lineup of Vampires, you could also add Bloodline Keeper, Olivia, Kalastria Highborn, Vampire Nighthawk, Gatekeeper of Malakir, Vampire Nocturnus, Blade of the Bloodchief, Bloodthrone Vampire, Anowon(?), and maybe another few that I’m missing, without making the theme too obtrusive. People who aren’t drafting “the Vampire deck” will want to play with most of these cards at least sometime, and that’s what you want.

At first blush, therefore, the theme looks reasonable. Why didn’t it work? Most of why is captured by Waddell’s comment — “There’s not a lot of actual incentive cards. Maybe the captain and Kalastria Highborn? Like, Bloodghast just works better with Carrion Feeder than any of these dumb old vampires” — but I should go into further detail. You want the “filler” cards to be fought over by a bunch of different people, but not too much — so far, so good. You also want there to be the incentive of synergy if you get a lot of these cards; this is what did not happen. The payoff for assembling the tribe was just not that great, and the tribe didn’t come together often enough.

So, key points for a tribal theme to work:

1. The tribal pieces not to be poisonous
2. Incentive synergy for having a lot of these cards.

Any confusion is pretty much entirely my fault, since I labeled the post "tribal" and not "golems are a sweet card type" and most people posting here are running cubes at power levels, where its unlikely that splicers could ever act as the basis of a true tribe.

So, let me make a more condensed, focused case, for where you might do this, and why it has worked as amazingly well as it has, in a low power pauper/peasentish cube

You have these cards:

Uniquely, if these cards are independently reasonable picks in my cube, I have an instant tribal theme. This is because:

1. The individual splicers, in this scenario, are not poisonous. 5 power for 4 mana, for example, would be something that my drafters would be interested in on its own.

2. The splicers themselves bring incentive synergy for having a lot of them. Every splicer or golem I add to the board, makes all of the other golem tokens better. This is how lord cards work, which we normally can never run in cube, because lords are poisonous. Splicers get around this problem even before we start talking about incidental synergy with other golems, other themes, or cards that care about artifacts.

This is the most compact, consistent tribal theme you can get for a cube i.m.o. Splicers are unique in that they provide, in a single card, both a lord to reward you for drafting more of them, but also provide solid value on their own.

Now, pursuant to this, the less splicers our power level allows, the less this becomes a real tribe. In my own cube, I run all of them accept for blade splicer, and its great. The deck comes together, regularly, as a splicer deck, built on splicer synergies. However, clearly, once we go up to a power level where all of the other splicers are terrible accept for blade splicer, you now lack the ability to reward someone for drafting a bunch of splicers, because you can only run two of them.

At that point, you don't have a tribal theme, you have some incidental synergy, which is still fun, and you can capitalize on a little bit by running a second blade splicer, and any other reasonable golem at your power level.

I hope that helps to clarify.

Original Post:

Golems, the accidental tribe. Choose your power level:

The Lords/golem army

Sweet Incidental Support

The Blink

Other Golems

there's a custom card for this
IronGolemfull_zps20842d93.jpg

Is it possible to expand on this theme to tie it into something else in terms of artifacts? Right now it looks like a good target for blink, is it even remotely likely that one could construct a Tinker package that is fun based on the presence of a lot of artifact and artifact tokens? IF I remember that old Tinker thread, there was even mention of using sharding sphinx as a Tinker target.

There's also (oracle text makes it a golem when activated)

You might want to consider clone effects for your golem lords, particularly

Also, with the lords all being 1/1 this might be worth considering

Also graveyard stuff

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
For some reason, I always forget about Brago.

Is it possible to expand on this theme to tie it into something else in terms of artifacts? Right now it looks like a good target for blink, is it even remotely likely that one could construct a Tinker package that is fun based on the presence of a lot of artifact and artifact tokens? IF I remember that old Tinker thread, there was even mention of using sharding sphinx as a Tinker target.

Sure, thats one of the nice things about it, is that the splicers are an easy to cheat extra artifacts into the cube. I didn't really explore that whole angle, but if you can run a bunch of them, not only does it make artifact focused cards better (tinker, sphinx, tezzeret) but it makes a broader spectrum of artifact hate cards less narrow, which means you can run stronger artifacts.

Of course, the issue is power level for how deep you can go. I would say the minimum lineup you would want if you are going deeper would be these ones:

Blade splicer is a really great card due to how flexible it is, and some formats can really benefit from breaking singleton on it. Bring it down a little more, and you can squeeze in wing splicer or sensor splicer.

Counting tuktuk, and some creative singleton breaking, I don't think its unreasonble to artificially increase your cube's artifact density by another 7-10 artifacts using this method.

This might be a way for me to not absolutely hate tinker in cube. Tinkering in a sharding sphinx off of a golem token, and than having sphinx + second golem to hit with seems like an actually fun line of play.

+

Rules question edit:

1. Undying doesn't work on tokens, right? Still has bonus potential with a Solemn Simulacrum in play, at least.
2. If Cryptic Command is copied, can you choose different modes for the copies? My gut tells me no.

i don't like precursor golem, it's too much like batterskull where in many cubes it's just such a high pick. it's probably much less good in jason's 4 wasteland low curve environment but for the rest of us it's way annoying, colorless 5 mana 9 power

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
That was our experience here as well - Precursor Golem was very much like a poor man's colourless Baneslayer Angel, in that it was a spot removal check that could take over the game unchecked. It's probably fine in a power-max environment, but potentially dangerous otherwise.

Though I very much like the synergies suggested above, and wish the card was a tad weaker so that those shenanigans could happen without being oppressive.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Thats unfortunate; the effect looks really cool both as a weakness and something to exploit for value.

Though, on the brightside, at higher power levels you are only going to be running multiple copies of blade splicer amongst the splicers anyways, so this sort of ups the levels of sweet incidental synergy.

Once you go a bit lower, you can run progressively more splicer lords, which is where this gets really fun.

Its also cool that we recently got a bunch of red artifact based cards:

Feldon is particularly interesting as another way to artifically boost artifact count. So, their may be room for slightly different flavors of UR and UW artifact decks: ur being focused more on recursion and UW more on blink, but both benfiting from the artificial boost in the artifact count that splicers/feldon provides.

Its especially nice that feldon tokens trigger ETBs, so you can make a new golem every turn providing that you have a splicer in the yard.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
For the record, I've never had any complaints about Precursor Golem, except when I took it out. Card is simply adorkable. When it lives it's good, but it attacks on turn five or six at the earliest, so there's enough time to build up a defense against it. It's also hilarious when it blows up in your face because someone uses Ice (of Fire // Ice fame), Destructive Revelry, Sundering Growth or something else like that on it.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
More than blink shenanigans and a fun minigame of gotta catch em all with golems, what is the incentive to plug golem tribal into a cube?

Its fun, compact, and artifically boosts artifact count.

If you are at higher power level, its not really going to be tribal, more like "every once in a while you get some cool interactions between blade splicer and whatever incidental golem generator fits in at that power level (tuktuk ect.)." You end up with board states that sometimes have a more tribal feel to them, with really no investment in cube space. Blade Splicer is a great card, and doubling up on it to increase the chances of those interactions is hardly a sacrifice.

At lower power levels, it becomes really great, as some of my recent drafts have demonstrated. You can run a progressively greater number and variety of splicers, they tie in with a lot of themes, and are very powerful in their own right. Again, they also represent a way to artifically increase artifact count, which allows for some interesting interactions in other parts of the cube.

So we did 2 6-Player drafts with this cube(highly "influenced" by Grillo's Innistrad Cube + trying to go down some of that multicolor desgin) yesterday(at ~7 and 11 pm) after having already done a 7-player FKK draft starting at 3 pm, so people were a little... "dizzy"/drunk/mentally "damaged" for the last draft. Both times a Splicer deck came together. The first one was Bant colors and went 3-0 on the back of flicker effects, creating boardstates like these, while having some interesting value options:
Splicy.jpg

I drafted the other splicer deck in the 11 pm draft and went into esper colors, having access to cards like Intangible Virtue and Phyrexian Reclamation as well as some other copy/replay effects. The Golem decks were pretty much value mashines. The first one being more of a in your face flicker deck while mine was more attrition based.
One thing about those decks is that they got together way to easy, possibly because people weren't aware of how powerful the splicers are on their own, possibly because they just didn't want that effect in their deck?(don't think that is too likely)
Another thing one of my more competitive drafters wasn't happy with was that he felt, that the removal of the cube didn't match up with the powerlevel of cards like Blade Splicer (which was in the draft for the first time)
The recent development of my cube (thanks to the sweet FRF rares) went more in the direction of more powerful threats, while keeping the removal the same. Going forward I think I've got to decide wether I want the cube to stay tempo focused or make it more in a attrition based environment(read: upgrade removal, maybe go heavier into threshold)

All in all, people liked the Splicers and the little tribal thing they had going on. I felt like it gave bant something to do.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Yeah, they really are impressive value machines in conjunction with blink effects, and let you really grind out the midgame, fogging attacks while adding to your board, ect.

Blade Splicer is a powerful card, so your friend is probably right. Master Splicer is also really good value in some environments, representing 5 power for 4 mana on his own, before you get into the blink/bounce/tribal shannigans.

spitballing: most anthem effects are cool. Steel Overseer is fun if you have enough artifact dudes, and is fine on his own in slower decks. Splicers have been great in Cataclysm decks for me, too. That they're not artifact cards or spells kinda hurts some of the -matters stuff, but there are a few cards that trigger off artifact etbs. Lots of them suck. metalcraft and affinity feel like traps imo unless you're really flickering/gating dudes.