General GRBS colorless pack 1 pick 1 cards

What does GRBS stand for and what does it mean?
Game-Ruining Bull Shit

Stuff that totally centralizes the game around itself, invalidates some or a large part of what else is happening in the game, and makes people feel bad. Sol Ring might not actually win games on it's own, but the entire pace of the game is set by Sol Ring, and the other deck's tempo might as well not even bother. The "Wurmcoil comes down and obliterates any progress the agro deck made" games. Etc.

Ah. So like Elesh Norn. I remember when that used to be in my cube. Once it resolves everyone just angrily quit. Really glad I took it out.

Ah. So like Elesh Norn. I remember when that used to be in my cube. Once it resolves everyone just angrily quit. Really glad I took it out.
Yeah she's a pretty classic example. Another classic is

Which takes the game and immediately boils it down to the board state. Also a great example of how context and group dependent these cards still are, as some people are cool with this effect.

When my playgroup was at its largest, 2 out of 12 were not okay with resource denial and "GRBS". I specifically remember one of those guys scooping in a game of EDH when a Myojin of Infinite Rage was hardcast. He scooped, packed up his things, and left. Didn't come back and play with us for weeks, and doesn't play with us now....After that game, we came to a mutual decision to ban infinite combos, mass LD, etc...That guy came back to play, and we commenced with 5 hour long battlecruiser EDH games that 95% of the group loathed. We jumped around to various formats, I built a peasant cube that had a good run. Then one guy showed up with his powered cube, and it scratched that intensifying itch a lot of us had. We also briefly got into Modern which was a big hit.

I get the rationale against it, but I'm glad that the guys I cube with consider everything fair game and don't get easily frustrated. Similar to me, a lot of them were very competitive players when we were younger. We've spent many hours trying to wriggle out of Opposition locks, racing to rebuild post-Armageddon, casting our own Armageddons, etc.

At this point, we have one power-max cube, one old-bordered cube, and whatever iteration of my cube that's available at the moment. Each presents very different draft and game scenarios, and they're all fun and appreciated.

All that's to say that I'm enjoying reading this conversation...I think the general Riptidian concepts that have been honed in here are really rad, and have helped me grow a lot as a cube designer. I also agree that fostering more diversity could only improve the community.

Oh, and the guy that cast the Myojin didn't win that game :mad:

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Did I tell you about that time someone playing a 5 color deck, fetching up four shocks in the first five turns in a 4 player commander game where the rest of use were playing two color decks and one mono color deck, became super angry at another player who dropped a Primal Order, threw his cards on the table as he scooped, and there was a Global Ruin there? Everybody was like: "What the fuck dude. You have no right to complain about a dick move that wasn't even a dick move to begin with when you purposefully bring a deck that's designed to screw everyone over. Chill the fuck out and take a hike or something. Commander really brings out the best in people! Looking forward to tomorrow to my first commander game in actual years. Finally get to dust off those old janky decks I built a long, long time ago, and complain about unfair cards again :)

I hate commander.

I've batted around the idea of a $20 budget commander league, and each week you get additional budget for additions relative to your placing in the game. Like 4th place gets $4, 3rd gets $3, 2nd gets $2, and 1st gets $1. It's probably the only way I'd pick it up again.

My group recently built "1DH" decks, where every cars is $1 or less. It partly gets around commander's biggest failing: the power level can vary wildly between people, play styles, shops, etc. It's been pretty fun so far. Kinda like pauper, there's a surprising amount of really powerful stuff you can still do at budget levels. Clone Legion is <$1, for example

My group and I sometimes play EDH with my cube. Instead of using 100 card decks we use 60 card decks. So you draft like 50-60 cards, make a 60 card deck with basics. The only difference is you can use any creature (as opposed to just legendary) and usually we play that every creature also has the "partner" ability. It has worked ok. The cube surprisingly seems pretty balanced for this format.

I have thought about changing it up to have like an "EDH" section of the cube that I only shuffle in (or maybe shuffle into the first packs that people draft) that is mostly just legendary gold creatures and making it more like standard EDH. Maybe I will someday.

The specific objection against wurmcoil, was that it was seen as an easy first pick: a high power cards that required no specific color commitment was argued to be better than comperably powered (or perhaps even higher powered) colored cards. The argument was that this made drafts less interactive, and created simplistic, boring, first picks. Obviously, this is something that would have to be seasoned to taste.

(...)

However, if our policy is to not run cards like wurmcoil, on the basis that first pickable artifacts make for dull first picks (i would argue that blue is most guilty of this in most cubes, and far more dull in the manner it does so) than it puts us in a place where we have to severely power cap our artifact section. And that would be true at any powerlevel, and require me to cut masticore in my format. I dislike this.

And I get this argument, but I think that the lack of interactivity, and possible boredom and simplicity don't really need to be there. I think there are two ways of designing around this:

1. Aligning our cubes with the Serial-Position effect.
This is less of a reason to play with a Wurmcoil-type of card and more a way to balance towards having it as and interactive threat.

This is something that I struggled somewhat, particularly around the time that I stopped enjoying Commander. Independently of how long the game would take, it would always end with something like a 3- or 4-card combo. Eventually, the finishers start to become boring, but we forget what happened in the mid game. When I talk about designing around this, the idea is to reduce the amount of cards used to get to survive to the end-game as much as possible.

One example could be an archetype that seems to be too OP, and wins consistently with Sphinx of the Steel Wind, Frost Titan and/or Sun Titan (I'm choosing this because my first lists had serious issues with Esper Control decks). One could conclude that the Sphinx is too absurd, and no one can pull back from a game where it hits twice. Then you look at the cards that are usually making the cut in that deck and they are on the lines of Wall of Omens, Perilous Myr, Vampire Nighthawk, Faith's Fetters, Coalition Relic, Exclude, Orzhov Signet, etc. Without all of these cards, the Sphinx or the Titan maybe would never hit the board. Or maybe they'd come as the great saviors, the turn before you are attacked for lethal, and help you stabilize the board, and win after a few turns of struggle. All the incremental advantage and tempo generated by all of the get-there cards allow the games to always end with this huge, unbeatable threat on the board. In any case, we will always remember getting beaten by the massive threat, but the cards that assured the victory are forgotten. Hidden under a layer of interactivity that masks a slow and steady growth that assured that the game is won by the time a threat is played.

A parallel that I can think to this is how IceFrog balances Dota 2: The most absurd and iconic things each character can do (be it short bursts of damage, survivability, etc) is rarely changed, but the character's ability to reach it's peak is capped. I can't find an article to link right now, but if I recall correctly, there was a character (Lion, I think) being highly picked for it's single-burst damage ultimate spell. Instead of downright reducing the damage, his mana pool and mana regeneration capabilities were nerfed, making it so that a player would need to be much more careful playing with and itemizing Lion, or they wouldn't be able to contribute properly to a team fight.

2. Capitalizing on a Wurmcoil type of card being a recognizable p1p1
Maybe the p1p1 threads are already signaling to something similar to what I'm saying here, but this might be the best way to handle a card generally considered GRBS: Just turn it into an archetype anchor. I try and do this for most of the OP cards I run: Channel, Recurring Nightmare, and Opposition are p1p1 that incentivize very specific contruction and playstyles that I was interested in when building my cube.

I already mentioned this, but I don't think the fact that we are running GRBS cards is a reason to make us play less crazy stuff. In fact, I think OP cards can be used as an excuse to play more crazy stuff. Let's say we want to run Skullclamp. We can try to support more aggro decks based on Oketra's Monument or even Thallids+Proliferate, since players will already have an incentive to play small creatures with Skullclamp.

Though the lower we push the top of our power band, the more cards fit the definition of what a p1p1 card can be. On one hand, that's great because we can have a lot more cards get the spotlight. On the other hand, this can increase analysis paralysis for your players, or leave some players thinking that they didn't really get a p1p1 card (CML's text about playing RG in DTK coming from a common p1p1, when his opponent started off an Atarka's Command, comes to mind). Tastes will definitely vary on this, but if the idea is to play with some GRBS cards, I think a cube would probably just need to adjust the power band until there are between 2 and 3 p1p1 or strong archetype anchors per player per draft to avoid anyone feeling left out of a first pick cards.

I also agree that blue has way too many p1p1 cards in an usual Cube list, and they usually all lead towards the same playstyle. I like Opposition particularly because it forces blue into playing lots of creatures or token generation.

I think the comparison between Masticore and Wurmcoil Engine in different power bands is correct. I, for one, loathe Razormane Masticore in combat-centered formats for how much it says "you can't even triple-block me profitably". And many thanks, Grillo, for bringing back the good Wurmcoil art :)

I realize there are always going to be cards with higher impact than others, but this sounds like something I'd like to avoid or at least de-emphasize in my current cube. Though I don't really have problem with this if it means that aggro is favorable until control decks get to 6 lands, if it mostly hinges on that control deck drawing a certain card, then that's more variance than I'd like. I suppose one solution would be to make all of your 6+ drops really powerful, so a control deck doesn't depend so much on one card.

I have made attempts(successfully) to shorten my cubes games, partially because aggro was weak before, but I also am wary of going to far. A game that ends on turn 20 doesn't much care who goes first, a game that ends on 1 is decided by the coin flip. I think that keeping games as short as modern games isn't probably where I want to be, mostly because I don't think the decks will ever be as consistent as tier 1 modern decks. As you said, adding consistency to your different archetypes should also help with this.

Another point that I forgot to make earlier is that I simply don't want there to be p1p1 colorless cards. I want there to be more choices during the draft, and powerful colorless cards are pretty much always the right choice. So I want my best colorless cards to be a little less powerful than my best colored cards.
Edit: grillo already argued the other other side of this point above, missed that.

I think that is a fair point you make, though I think the solution you mentioned is probably similar to what I'm doing right now, but in a more conscious way. I just double-checked, and most of my control finishers are at 6+ mana, and all my 6+ mana cards are either combo/ramp targets, or control finishers (or both). I have lot's of control-oriented cards that can control the game and maybe win in my 5-slots (like Tamiyo, the Moon Sage, Ob Nixilis Reignited, Meloku, the Clouded Mirror), but it seems like I have reserved 6+ to cards with strong board presence, and some semblance of card/tempo advantage. (I remember choosing not to include Elspeth, Sun's Champion and Consecrated Sphinx for not ending the game the game quickly and regaining all of the card advantage that I've been taking away from the mid-game of pure control decks)

About the length of games, yeah, I agree that it could go too quickly, but I think it would be really hard to have something like consistent turn 4 kills like modern has. I think the fastest kill my cube has is Channel+Kozilek or Channel+Ulamog for a turn 4 kill, and I don't think I've ever seen this happen. (Actually, I do remember once that someone played Channel+Kozilek turn 3 or 4, but I think I played Crystal Shard and bounced it the following turn.)

And about the colorless cards as p1p1, like I said before, I think they can be used as archetype anchors in most cases. One concept that I've been mulling over for a long time now is to stop having card slots per color, and start having card slots per archetypes. I still need to mull over this more, but the basic idea is that, given a high level of synergy between lots of pieces in the cube, and good access to color fixing, your players are drafting archetypes more than they are drafting colors. On an environment with these characteristics, it should feel as if the colors are a lot less important then whatever the players are doing to win the game. My previous example of Skullclamp into Thallids in my answer to Grillo is somewhat along that line: Skullclamp locks you into playing with small creatures for the long game (gotta use that card advantage!), then the next picks of Sporesower Thallid and Thrummingbird puts you straight into Sproliferate territory (I kind of what to try to make this archetype happen, now). I think this is already something that is done in one way or another at the forums, since we can see that on most color pair posts we had recently (like this one), the discussion usually goes into the single-color cards that reinforce the archetypes that the color pair are the best at.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
I would be really nice to see a high powered cube with actual well-thought out archetypes.

Solving the "blue is completly OP" problem seems like the biggest challenge.

I would be really nice to see a high powered cube with actual well-thought out archetypes.

What I was thinking as a starting point was:
Everybody gets a free set of power (+= a few cards)
Completely forget color balance. Everybody will run blue, give them enough blue cards.

Every archetype would play ancestral recall if it could, so just let them.

Sounds like great ideas for a new cube. But they are like foundational, sweeping design changes, not something simple like "shift your wraths up one CMC". Not so great for pre-existing carefully tuned environments that simply have different goals and aren't designed to handle the classic powered cards. And Wurmcoil is a relatively tame example, tbph.

Cool thread: http://riptidelab.com/forum/threads/emotional-spikes-in-cube-design.1439/
You might be right, but if you already have a well-thought, well-balanced environment based on different goals, chances are you already have a finished "product" that you are happy with. In that situation, I don't think there is much to go from there. Nirvana has been reached, and there isn't much more of a mountain to climb unless you change to a new mountain. I still think there is a middle ground, and there is a lot that can be abstracted into simple rules to help out the cube designer out there that wants to play with some of their favorite cards from standards past, but they are a bit too good following the basics of the Riptide canon. Take card/tempo advantage out of removal, lower the curve and assure that control has a few finishers, for instance.

About the emotional spike thread, I'll have to re-read it. I remember going through it about the time it was first posted, and though I can't recall what I though while reading, it does brings to mind Rosewater's "make things people love, not that they like" phrase (absolutely an important thing to remember in any game design related job, especially working with free to play design), and a concept in level design called "Wow moments", which are moments in a game designed for awe and inspiration. I'll do some reading there!

What I was thinking as a starting point was:
Everybody gets a free set of power (+= a few cards)
Completely forget color balance. Everybody will run blue, give them enough blue cards.

Every archetype would play ancestral recall if it could, so just let them.
I think that could be a good start for a powered cube. If you can't make people get out of blue, just make sure they are using blue in a responsible and balanced manner (somewhat like drug control and rehab programs, now that I think of if).

A cube like that could probably go full blue in a Torment kind of way and have more mana fixing for blue than for other colors. Some cards would get a lot of value, like Jace's Defeat, Pyroblast, Choke, Dispel, Boil, Goblin Piledriver (?), etc

I had heard of a Vintage cube that also had something like, whenever you pick a card you'd get a full playset, unless it is restricted in Vintage, then you only get one copy. This can be exploited with something like having 6 or 7 Ancestral Recalls in the pool, but they are still restricted, so picking more than one means you can't play the additional copies.

I like this idea. It was sort of what I originally tried when I first started cubing. What I found was there just was not enough design space at higher power levels to make more than a few archetypes that could compete against the "good stuff" decks.

This talk of a Ultra-power cube reminds me of someone inviting me to a cube-draft, where all cards where custom made and the power level was like "acnestral recall is the norm".

B4DVUdE.jpg
NsuISTI.jpg
z58JUao.jpg
ekXpHcg.jpg
OFb9yYR.jpg
AdUtpVN.jpg

Its strange that so many people seem to think that Lightning Bolt is inherently more fun than Shock. I think its a major misunderstanding that people think (traditional) cubes are fun because they run powerful cards. I guess its just happy accident that the early powermax cubes happened to be fun. Cubes are fun because they tend to have more interesting cards and more possible archetypes than normal draft sets, where games tend to revolve around pacifisms, vanilla 2/2s and 5/5s, and flyers.

Its strange that so many people seem to think that Lightning Bolt is inherently more fun than Shock. I think its a major misunderstanding that people think (traditional) cubes are fun because they run powerful cards. I guess its just happy accident that the early powermax cubes happened to be fun. Cubes are fun because they tend to have more interesting cards and more possible archetypes than normal draft sets, where games tend to revolve around pacifisms, vanilla 2/2s and 5/5s, and flyers.

This a completely subjective topic. Lightning Bolt is one of the most iconic cards in the game. Nostalgia plays a big role for some in cube. Hell, it’s 75% of the reason why I still play the game. Lightning bolt is more fun than shock for me.

Power max cubes are fun for me. I like playing with powerful iconic cards, and I like when everyone sits down and gets to play with a powerful group of cards. Unlike edh where you bring individual pools of cards of varying degrees of power and budget, powered cubes sets the environment...”do crazy things, enjoy it.”

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Since the emotions thread was quoted, and I've had over a year to refine and rearticulate my thoughts, let me comment on somethings. This is relevent to wurmcoil, commander, lightning bolt, shock etc.

What the emotions thread was trying to say, was that one of the issues with cube design is that it trends towards a sort of material, systemic ordering. When we would talk about cube before (here and on other forums) designs get put forwards, but there was always this group intellectualism focusing on the raw mechanical creation of the format.

We would look at cube, gather up the cards like scientists, studying objective phenomenon, perhaps ground that with some tradition from our playgroups (say the idea of GRBS) and than that was supposed to produce the ends that we wanted (good games).

The problem is that some forms of interpersonal interaction (the cube), end up not producing the ends they were supposed to produce, and could even produce the contrary ends, even though we've produced the most rational format, congruent with all respectable tastes, as tested and implimented by all of the most respectable people.

This is because planned, logical and intelligible systems never make allowance for the completly irrational, incomprehensiable, and ridiculous aspects of actual people.

The best example of that is the occastional flamewar over whether commander is a tasteful or good format (spoiler its not). While a format needs reasonable structure, there is always this unraveling towards the illogical and ridiculous from players hungry for novelty. Take away the memes, and you end up with a well constructed format that no one wants to play because there is nothing unexpected, novel, or interesting to explore about it. Commander is logical trash, but meme-tastic, and its managed to gather a large amount of players for decades on that billing alone.

The moment that you can no longer experience surprise, is the moment your format is dead, because no one is going to be able to track any emotional response to it.

Obviously, this is something that has to be seasoned to playgroup taste, but you need some memes, and should not be afraid to run some meme cards, even if they might go against surface ideas of what constitutes "good magic."

In my own formats, this little meme machine is the best example of that:

Its a little RNG machine, whose spirit goes against the norms of good magic, but it also consistently creates memorable and exciting board states and games.

I think what the emotional design thread and what Grillo says are in line with a budding knowledge of game and systems design. As we get the tools for dealing with our lists in a more systemic way, that's what we push to do, and we abstract a ton of concepts, create analytical models and discuss how to bring those model as close as possible to what we intend, even if we are not absolutely sure of what we really intend. As one individual or community learns its ways through the tools of game design, they start realizing that they have been holding hammers all along, and half of the issues being tackled were screws and not nails. I've seen this happening with myself, with groups of friends, and a few generations of game development students.

The thing about designing around rationality and logics is that it is using flawed assumptions. Humans are anything but, and thinking logically and rationally are skills that are really hard to develop, and we hardly notice when we haven't truly developed these skills. As we develop more tools to look at cubes, and lists, and mana cruves, and archetypes, we get lost in a sort of technocratic fetishism. We criticize the Vintage Cube for being bad, but without acknowledging that it is both seasonal and brings up interesting moments that are awesome to experience from time to time. Basically, we design cubes around the way as we design cubes, not around how people approach objects and situations in the real world, or through a clear understanding about the context of play in a game encounter. I think the first steps of Waddellianism pointed us towards a cardboard utopia, but it's been taking us 4-5 years to turn it into tools, pump out a lot of Riptide cubes, and finally remember that there was something missing amidst the perfectly balanced, well-though archetypes. Something that the GRBS mash-ups had when we first experienced it, but we lost with over-designing our formats.

Some of the best tips I've ever gotten in regards to general game design is to look at everyting that intersect games, particularly psychology, philosophy, economy, etc. I'm particularly fond of a way of looking into games and game design that says that games are somewhat useless, and what should be really looked at is the player and how they play. (If you are interested in this line of thinking, I'd advise a book by a professor I had during my masters: Play Matters, by Miguel Sicart. He also had a talk called "fuck games", which is pretty compelling, though I can't find a recording of it right now)

I think I might not have made a lot of sense, so I'll try to resume this with an easy-to-follow meme that might oversimplify the whole situation:
riptide transcedence.png

Vince and Grillo bring up a good point, that I, someone with no real experience with game design, cube design or much else in the way of design, psychology, etc. can attest to being of utmost importance. HAVING FUN. In the end, one way or another, that is what this boils down to, to my knowledge. Whether it's designing the vube or playing it, we do it for a sense of satisfaction. And one note about satisfaction is that it is individual and can come from the WEIRDEST of things. What a majoity might find fun/boring, might prove the opposite for another. Balance is just a way to try and increase the satisfaction level in the end, by removing the annyoing, feel bad moments, and empowering the great comebacks, the stories that will be told years to come, the odd combos and so on. It doesn't matter if you play a cube with both squire and Black Lotus, if that's what you find enjoyable (and hopefully also the ones you play with).

On a sidenote; Vince, have you had the chance to play your cube recently?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
The best example of that is the occastional flamewar over whether commander is a tasteful or good format (spoiler its not).
Out of curiosity (and not to start a flame war), why not? What objective intrinsic quality makes cube better? Whether you like drafting or constructed more is irrelevant for this comparison, because that's entirely subjective. Both commander and cube can be entirely miserable, but does that mean the format is bad? Either can be exhilarating and fun, when playing with a likeminded group (for commander) drafting a deep and well thought out environment (for cube). Does that mean the format is good? I think the reason why this discussion of commander vs cube or commander vs anti-commander often turns into a flame war because it's entirely subjective whether you like the format. Obviously we're on a cube forum, so it's likely that there will be more people who loathe commander then on, say, mtgcommander.net, but are people destined to loathe commander because it's a bad format, or do they loathe it because they had bad experiences and/or don't like the politics of multiplayer games and/or don't like the particular play style of a commander game (which is undoubtedly glacial compared to a cube match... unless you factor in the time it takes to draft)? In other words, do they loathe it for objective or subjective reasons?

On a subjective note, I had great fun yesterday. I played four games of commander of the night, winning the last one with a sweet sequence of Wort, the Raidmother into conspired Boundless Realms for 21 land into Wolfbriar Elemental for 26 wolves into conspired Vitalizing Wind. That was super fun to do (and it was a quick game to boot)! As much as I love cube, it's also something I would never be able to do in a draft. I also badly lost with a crappy snake/gorgon tribal deck, that nonetheless was fun to play. One of the highlights of the game was how I mulliganed into Vedalken Heretic (look at the art!) and Snake Umbra to more than make up for the card I was down at the start of the game.

Now, I realize this may not be your thing, but your comment still makes me wonder. Is commander inherently a worse format than cube, or is it all in the eye of the beholder?

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
The problem with EDH is that its supposed to be a fun casual format where anything goes and winning dosen't matter, but formats naturally trend towards a meta hierarchy of established decks where anything dosen't go, and the format texture trends towards a resolution of winning or losing.

So this results in a contridiction, that EDH groups tend to do a terrible job reconciling. This is not because its irreconcilable, but because a lot of EDH groups will simply deny that anything exists to reconcile, and this lie rots the format. It carries over into cards not being banned that should be banned, absurd rationalization of alienating, not-fun, or un-interactive sequences, and the structure of the format turns into something like a rotting house where everyone is too proud to acknowledge that maybe something was wrong or that anything is worth updating or repairing.

Its sort of an inverse of the above stipulations regarding cube design. Instead of overly focusing on structure at the expense of novelty, they overly focus on novalty at the expense of structure. Who needs to think about, or talk about, bad format texture, as long as you have the memes?

Though you know this, because you were an active participant in the discussion before, and I hope that you're not just asking so to pick a fight. I remember that we made allowances for your group, because they did somewhat engage with resolving that contridiction, if I recall correctly.

I have a very tight-knit group, and we have a resolved, healthy (as healthy as you can reasonably get) meta with roughly agreed power tiers and deck-building choices. I think many bad situations arise from one thing: that it's casual. There are no real rules to speak of, no overarching structure.

That's also part of the brilliance of it. There are no tournament dates, no careful meta analysis, no long drawn out setups, it's just find people, sit down, and you are playing.

There are a couple of reasons why I don't think EDH is a good format:

1. The "Social Contract" and the idea that in order to have a good EDH game you have to be playing for fun and not to win. Whenever the "fun" way to play a game and the "best" way to play a game are at odds, it's poorly designed.
2. Long games with player elimination. If you lose early on, you have to sit around watching your friends play until it's all finished. Losing a game in this instance could also mean being mana screwed or flooded so that you're not an active participant for a solid part of the game.
3. Magic is generally not designed with multiplayer in mind and some of its systems break down when it's played in that manner.

Those I would say are fairly objective reasons to say EDH is badly designed as a format, although the third one is arguable. There are also some personal features of at least the games I've played that I dislike as well. I'm not a fan of politics in games, although for some people I know that's one of the main draws, so I can't really call that a flaw. I also think the banned list should be greatly increased and that would go some way towards fixing problem number 1 above - if the best way to play isn't "unfun" then you have a better game. Finally, a lot of the time it seems that games play out for a while and then someone combos off and wins, which in my view invalidates the whole game up to that point.

If I had to "fix" EDH I think some of the things I would try would be:

1. Massively extend the banned list. First things on the list would be extra turns, tutors (except really limited stuff like maybe Trinket Mage) and mass land destruction or anything else that stops people playing. I wouldn't be surprised if the number of cards added was in the 100s.
2. Change around lifetotals somehow. The first idea off the top of my head would be that the win condition of the game would be points based, and damaging players would gain points or taking damage would lose points. Players would effectively have infinite life so no player elimination.
3. Points for other stuff as well, I know Sheldon Menery's EDH league had a points table and I'd make something like that official.
4. Play for a fixed number of turns so the game has a definitive end point.
5. Give players more cards each draw step.
6. Make infinite combos not work somehow. Maybe make it so you can demonstrate a loop but only loop a fixed number of times per turn cycle.

I don't know if what you would have left would feel much like Magic any more, but it would make a format I think would be more fun to play.