General GRBS colorless pack 1 pick 1 cards

This a completely subjective topic. Lightning Bolt is one of the most iconic cards in the game. Nostalgia plays a big role for some in cube. Hell, it’s 75% of the reason why I still play the game. Lightning bolt is more fun than shock for me.

Power max cubes are fun for me. I like playing with powerful iconic cards, and I like when everyone sits down and gets to play with a powerful group of cards. Unlike edh where you bring individual pools of cards of varying degrees of power and budget, powered cubes sets the environment...”do crazy things, enjoy it.”

This is a fair point for people who are somewhat familiar with the history of the game, but I would think it wouldn't apply to brand new players so much, especially if introduced to Magic through cube (though of course this isn't the case for most players). Also I would think the novelty would wear off, but I haven't actually played much powered or power-max cube, so I can't really say.

I think the first steps of Waddellianism pointed us towards a cardboard utopia, but it's been taking us 4-5 years to turn it into tools, pump out a lot of Riptide cubes, and finally remember that there was something missing amidst the perfectly balanced, well-though archetypes. Something that the GRBS mash-ups had when we first experienced it, but we lost with over-designing our formats.

Haven't missed anything, but then I didn't start with a totally power-maxed cube, and I haven't really toned it down a huge amount, or gone all in on supporting archetypes for each color and everything. So maybe I never had "it". Maybe my desire to build a powered cube is because I'm searching for "it", but mostly I think I just want another environment to play with. I also hope to build Grillo's new cube, and have a couple other crazy ideas I'd like to mess with.

But then again, I've had this feeling in the back of my head for a week that I need to find a way to make Crow Storm work somehow, so maybe we're really on same page after all.

New Rule:
Damage dealt to players deals damage and also AWOL-exiles X cards from the top of their library where X is the amount of damage dealt.

I haven't thought too much of the negative repercussions of this system. But let me just illustrate the upsides:
- Imposes an actual end-poin
- Doesn't negate the value of creature-bashing strategies
- Easy to understand, which puts minimal learning burden upon new players
- Makes Red, the worst color in EDH, slightly better

I don't play EDH for all the reasons you people have already listed. The social contradictions baked into the format make it impossible to maintain a community.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Though you know this, because you were an active participant in the discussion before, and I hope that you're not just asking so to pick a fight. I remember that we made allowances for your group, because they did somewhat engage with resolving that contridiction, if I recall correctly.
I honestly couldn't remember. I haven't been part of a commander play group for about six years, so that discussion must have been a long time ago. As I said, I was honestly interested in an elaboration on why you think commander is a bad format. Now, as for the meat of the discussion...

The problem with EDH is that its supposed to be a fun casual format where anything goes and winning dosen't matter, but formats naturally trend towards a meta hierarchy of established decks where anything dosen't go, and the format texture trends towards a resolution of winning or losing.

So this results in a contridiction, that EDH groups tend to do a terrible job reconciling. This is not because its irreconcilable, but because a lot of EDH groups will simply deny that anything exists to reconcile, and this lie rots the format. It carries over into cards not being banned that should be banned, absurd rationalization of alienating, not-fun, or un-interactive sequences, and the structure of the format turns into something like a rotting house where everyone is too proud to acknowledge that maybe something was wrong or that anything is worth updating or repairing.

Its sort of an inverse of the above stipulations regarding cube design. Instead of overly focusing on structure at the expense of novelty, they overly focus on novalty at the expense of structure. Who needs to think about, or talk about, bad format texture, as long as you have the memes?
As you said, the problems you describe can be reconciled. To me this indicates that the format is not inherently bad, though, as in the concept of picking a leader as a build around card and having fun multiplayer games where anything can happen is a cool concept. Indeed, I have had fun in the majority of the commander games I've played, and I've seen awesome things happen that simply don't occur in other formats. There's a niche and huge potential there, and that is why commander is so eternally popular. As Aston pointed out though, more could be done to prevent the inherent tension / contradiction between what's supposed the spirit of the game and what it often devolves into.

For sure the official rules committee don't practice what they preach. They say that commander is supposed to be about fun and exploring weird interactions and awesome combinations, but they refuse to ban cards that time and again lead to skewed games. I have read more than one article by figurehead proponents of the format that list a string of strawman arguments why Sol Ring should not be banned, and I'm disappointed every time. Someone though Ruination was a perfect card to reprint in one of the first commander decks, that card sucks the fun right out of every game. For the life of me, I do no know why they are so hellbent on keeping these cards in the format when their very first rule (on philosophy) states that they want to promote social and interactive games. Instead they rely on "the social contract", i.e. each play group has to decide for themselves where to draw the line. If multiple people in your group dislike the fact that you're playing Armageddon, "you should not play Armageddon". Fact of the matter is that there are many different playgroups that like very different play styles. Some actually like playing the cutthroat cards, believe it or not. I think the committee is on two tracks of thought, where they want to accomodate both ends of the spectrum.

Sheldon Menery wrote an article where he explores what a bigger ban list would entail, and comes to the following conclusion.

Our goal is to promote great games of Commander. That's different than ensuring them, which is a fool's errand. Without the madness of the Giant Banned List, there's no way to guarantee fun games, and even then it's a tall order because different people think different things are fun.

And then there's this great comment by a lady named Sue Louis which pretty much destroys the whole notion of catering to two groups.

I've been playing edh for 7+years. The playgroup which introduced me had been playing about 9 years and played 100 card singleton for a year before finding edh. The goal was to have greater variety in games and your ban list was taken to much greater extremes to insure this. Demonic/vamp tutor and like cards became discouraged as well as anything with "I win" written on it. Our list would look much like your cards which "don't let others play list" above. Generic goodstuffs decks also became discouraged, the result was the best edh games of my life. 3 years ago the group got a facebook page and alot of new players started showing up. It took a while but most people started to addapt to our philosophy, but others didn't care and games beacame unbalanced. Our group tried to addapt,and it became more of a goodstuffs environment. This of course was against what the original vision was. Two tears ago the two hosts and group leaders grew tired of similar game states and quit magic outright. These two have some of the best collections I know of (100's of dual lands,P9,full sets of arabian/antiquities etc.) and are some of the most skilled players I know. The constant discussions about philosophy and the lack of results wore them out and to this day I can't get them to do anything but cube. This forced me to find new groups, I still abide by ther philosophy and do quite well in public, but overall game quality is much worse. Combo is rampent and goodstuffs is basically all i see. When I ask players if they know who sheldon is they (<10%) have no clue. I'd say less then 1/3rd have even read the doctorine, also most have been playing less than 2 years. My take is that there r two ways to play edh, Competitive or casual. The problem is that unless you are part of a tight knit group it's very hard to find a common casual ground. I have on multiple ocassions suggested that the comittee come up with a suggested casual list. The gap between competitive and casual has grown quickly since the commander products and things like no more banned as commander as well as no tuck. With mtgo starting to promote edh this will probabely push that even further. I am of the opinion that less cards should be on the ban list, and that people should self police in casual environments. However if we had some pillars of the community endorsed a suggested list I think those in the know would gravitate towards that. Then others would catch wind of this and follow in suit. My favorite quote is "Be the change you wish to see in EDH". However if you tell this to someone who has only played for 2 years-2 months they will have no clue and can only speculate what that would be.

Simply put, competitive and casual commander players want vastly different things out of a game of commander, so why try to maintain a ban list that is built to accomodate the competitive player when that means the casual player will potentially have to stomach a rotten experience if ever he participates in a game where the competitive player also partakes? On the other hand, I believe a competitive player could still have a rewarding game experience using a more expansive ban list, because you can still try to build the best deck out there if more cards are banned, and you can still win games. Exept, you do so with a fair deck that doesn't destroy other people's fun as much.

Ultimately though, I don't think that the commander format is at fault here, but the way it is managed, and the way the rules committee so desperately tries to appease competetive and casual players with a small ban list and an unwritten "social contract" that effectively expands the ban list immensely without Sheldon and the rest having to take responsibility for alienating competitive players. Which, ultimately, lessens the experience for both, because the casual player doesn't get to do fun things with their suboptimal deck and the competitive players doesn't get to enjoy his free wins because of all the sulking faces at the other end of the table. When the play group is right though, and the social contract does work, commander can lead to some of the greatest games of Magic I have ever experienced.

There are a couple of reasons why I don't think EDH is a good format:

1. The "Social Contract" and the idea that in order to have a good EDH game you have to be playing for fun and not to win. Whenever the "fun" way to play a game and the "best" way to play a game are at odds, it's poorly designed.
2. Long games with player elimination. If you lose early on, you have to sit around watching your friends play until it's all finished. Losing a game in this instance could also mean being mana screwed or flooded so that you're not an active participant for a solid part of the game.
3. Magic is generally not designed with multiplayer in mind and some of its systems break down when it's played in that manner.

I talked at length about point 1, and I agree that the social contract is a piss-poor way of managing the available card pool. I disagree with your point that playing for fun equals not playing for the win though. Of course you want to win the game, you just want to be creative / thematic about it. What's in and of itself poorly designed there?

Point 2 is a very fair point, that is indeed a flaw of the format, but such is the nature of Magic. The pain is certainly amplified though because the games are multiplayer and take longer. We had one game (out of four) Saturday where one of the players didn't draw his black source nor a fifth land and did nothing for the entire game. I do think it is something that can be fixed though, if not officially than through a house rule. Maybe something simple like, exile a card from your hand and tick up your commander played count by 1 to Lay of the Land.

Point 3 is mostly subjective I feel. I like multiplayer games, but I certainly can understand why some wouldn't. In and of itself, though, Magic works just fine in multiplayer with the standard tweaks (padded life totals, starting player draws a card on the first turn, mulligans are more forgiving).

All in all two enlightening posts. It's unfortunate the rules won't likely be overhauled any time soon under the current committee, because I do think a more expansive ban list.

PS. Another great comment (by an Aubrey White) from that article by Sheldon I wanted to highlight:

I don't understand. How is this proposal a bad thing? On Bruce Richard's article about this last week over at TCGplayer (see here: http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/article.asp?ID=13942...), I made the following comment:

"Commander is a mess. Relying on murky interpretations of the Social Contract to define a format is what leads to players leaving it in droves. Say what we will about banned lists, but at least that is enforceable and easy to understand. How do you explain to the Nekusar player that his deck full of wheels and time walk effects is too broken when there is a Prossh Food Chain player and that Oath of Druid player that can win on turn 1 with his best draw and turn 3 or 4 with its worst sitting at the next pod?

The banned list should have at least 100 more cards on it, but the RC thinks that will turn it into too 'competitive' of a format. Well, guess what? Players are treating it like a competitive format anyway, and if you're worried about what casual players are doing with cards like Food Chain, Deadeye Navigator, Oath of Druids, etc. at their kitchen tables, you have no idea how casual players approach Magic. These are the same players that build Vintage-light decks or Legacy 1.5 decks and run them into their friend's Angel-themed deck like it doesn't matter. They don't care what the banned list says and do what they want anyway.

The worst that can happen? At my LGS, a Vintage Storm player found multiple ways to play Storm in Commander and single-handedly destroyed my local EDH league, one that had run over a dozen successful groups. Most of these players don't play Commander anymore because half of them now can't fathom playing the format without playing the 'best' versions of their decks, but they don't want to ruin the game for everyone else. The other half? They still don't believe that the Storm player really broke the format and still complain about how competitive players ruined Magic and no one will play Commander with them anymore."

I still stand by everything I said here. Commander is suffering from the fact that as this game grows, you will encounter more and more people that aren't part of your social group and/or don't comprehend the spirit of the format. How do you interact with them? Via the official rules of the game and through the banned list. Unless you enforce the philosophy of the game through the means available, you will lose players.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Anything novel or interesting or amusing enough where people start replicating it or passing it on as part of a group.

Lab maniac is almost assuredly a sub-optimal card to run in any list, but everyone wants to experience the lab maniac win at least once. I think you want some cards like that, that help create stories and unique experiences that other players want to replicate and participate in.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
As an addendum to my already long post above, it's probably fair to say that WotC embracing the format and catering to it with specialized product has been both a blessing and a curse. For sure the player base has grown, but the reprints and new cards in them have been hit and miss.

Anything novel or interesting or amusing enough where people start replicating it or passing it on as part of a group.

Lab maniac is almost assuredly a sub-optimal card to run in any list, but everyone wants to experience the lab maniac win at least once. I think you want some cards like that, that help create stories and unique experiences that other players want to replicate and participate in.

I've read the last few posts you have made about "novelty" and "memories" and stuff and I wonder if perhaps you better understand my position on the discussion we had once on cube size? Because it seems my position in that discussion was trying to get across to you exactly what you are trying to get across now.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
I've read the last few posts you have made about "novelty" and "memories" and stuff and I wonder if perhaps you better understand my position on the discussion we had once on cube size? Because it seems my position in that discussion was trying to get across to you exactly what you are trying to get across now.

If I was arguing against a cube for being too large, it was probably because I felt it was emphasizing novalty at the expense of structure. But I get your point.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
The time I realized EDH was degenerate was when my friend got seriously angry at me for counter his turn 1 sol ring with foil before I had even played a land. Acting as if I was the one using an unfair card.

I think that's more a problem with your friend than with the format. Not that Sol Ring isn't degenerate.

This is what I said about my friends and I's approach to cubing which I believe echoes the general idea behind what you have been saying, Grillo, even if my specific implementation isn't achieving it. I can definitely relate to what you have been saying.

Ultimately it feels like your main way of experiencing a cube is as a solvable game that can and should be minmaxed as much as possible. And that is totally cool. I approach some things that way. But for me and the rest of my play group, we mostly do not approach cube that way. Mostly we view cubing as a way to express creativity in the decks we play and get new and fun interactions. The other day when I played, I first-pack-first-picked gelectrode because I was determined to play a red/blue "spells matter" deck. I can assure you it was not the best card in the back nor was the deck necessarily the one most likely to succeed. But I just wanted to do it so I could pilot that kind of deck. Even knowing it may have not been the most optimal way to "orient myself in the meta". I have had my fellow cubers tell me things like "today I decided no matter what I was going to try to play a cool Red-Green deck because I feel like I haven't seen that get played much". And that is awesome to me. Everyone I play with wants to win, but we all also want to be creative and try new/cool stuff--regardless of what might be the optimal strategy. In such a situation, I feel it is more important to offer unique card choices and interactions than reliable and repeatable decks or a dependable metagame.

To add onto that, my intent with cube has always been to try to create as many of those emotional responses you talk about. But obviously it is a balance as someone else in the thread said: a game starts to become bad the more the "fun" way to play diverges from the "best" way to play.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Ok, I remember the exchange now. You had 3 players running a 540ish cube, and you wanted it that big in order to maintain novelty. I was disagreeing with overly correlating size as a way to achieve novelty.

And than I wanted to distance myself from this specific statement:

Ultimately it feels like your main way of experiencing a cube is as a solvable game that can and should be minmaxed as much as possible.

Because it really wasn't what I meant by players orienting themselves in a format. Players will always engage in format solution by simple merit of participating in the game, regardles of how casual they are. This is because "how do I act in the format" is the basic problem presented to them by every draft, and the solution will always be some form of hierarchy.

Just because a format is large, it dosen't mean it will stay novel for longer. The length of time that unexplored terrority exists depends on how the format is constructed, not just the raw size.

Ahadaban learned this the hard way with his giant modular cube.

And ignoring that can put you in the same position as EDH:

The problem with EDH casual magic is that its supposed to be a fun casual format where anything goes and winning dosen't matter, but formats naturally trend towards a meta hierarchy of established decks where anything dosen't go, and the format texture trends towards a resolution of winning or losing.

So this results in a contridiction, that EDH casual magic groups tend to do a terrible job reconciling. This is not because its irreconcilable, but because a lot of EDH casual magic groups will simply deny that anything exists to reconcile, and this lie rots the format.

I feel so conflicted on this issue because I really enjoy having a handful of iconic cards that boast flexible raw value, but I feel like it has been undermining my more synergistic decks lately. It's kind of heartbreaking when my Karn, Scion of Urza and Batterskull can out perform my Purphoros, God of the Forge and Whisperwood Elemental in my Jund Aristocrsts deck...

That said how do you all feel about the new Karn? Simple p1 p1 status aside I've really enjoyed the way he plays and the constant Fact or Fiction esque mini game he brings to the table. It just bothers me that he feels like the best 4 drop in any non aggro deck.

I feel so conflicted on this issue because I really enjoy having a handful of iconic cards that boast flexible raw value, but I feel like it has been undermining my more synergistic decks lately. It's kind of heartbreaking when my Karn, Scion of Urza and Batterskull can out perform my Purphoros, God of the Forge and Whisperwood Elemental in my Jund Aristocrsts deck...

That said how do you all feel about the new Karn? Simple p1 p1 status aside I've really enjoyed the way he plays and the constant Fact or Fiction esque mini game he brings to the table. It just bothers me that he feels like the best 4 drop in any non aggro deck.

I really like the gameplay Karn generates, but it's kind of a bummer that he goes in every deck and is super powerful at baseline.