Card/Deck Green Three Drops

CML

Contributor
Strangleroot Geist is pushed enough to fit, I think. In general I don't mind XX creatures as much as you guys, though

joiner adept is not that cool, bloom tender is though

always kind of wondered about albino troll as someone who used to play that 15 years ago

i wish mayor was a little bit better

i don't like sylvan caryatid much, kinda meh on heir of the wilds too (which i do have for the time being)

i run sakura-tribe elder but moved her to the "sorcery" section. who's with me

CML

Contributor
this one can

i mean, everyone bins it when they play it and says "i'll just block whatever," right

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Fair enough. I always regard it as a pseudo-fog + Rampant Growth. The funniest games are when my opponent decides not to attack, because I'll block anyway, but I don't need the four mana on turn three :)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Wouldn't know. I quit competitive Magic when I wanted to spend more time with my family and decided D&D and squash were more important to me. Didn't keep me from spending way too much money on cube cards last year though :rolleyes:

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Sooo... I this playable if you want to support both Doran and a +1/+1 subtheme?

I mean, Giant Spider is decent enough in regular limited formats, and this is a cheaper Giant Spider?

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Of course you have various niche 3-drops like Aura Gnarlid and Azusa that you know if you're interested in.

Awakener Druid is fun in C/Ube

Boggart Ram-Gang is basically a RRR card unless you fully support green aggro.

Boon Satyr is fantastic, play it.

Borderland Ranger is ok but I agree with Eric that Farhaven Elf is just better most of the time? Most midrange decks would rather have the accel than the extra point of power.

Caller of the Claw is really fun.

Centaur Courser is very awkwardly named now that Courser of Kruphix exists. On that note, Courser of Kruphix is insane and I want to play >1.

Is Champion of Lambholt good? It's pretty sick with any pump effect iff you have a decent board presence, but if your deck has lots of pump effects you're usually loading up on one guy rather than going wide.

Cold-Eyed Selkie seems cool, though a mono-green card in practice.

Has anyone else been less and less impressed by Eternal Witness recently?

Gluttonous Slime is another nice one for C/Ube

ew Great Sable Stag

Imperious Perfect was good ~5 years ago

Kitchen Finks = GOAT

Ohran Viper is the midrangiest midrange that ever midranged

Reclamation Sage is obv unless you have a really low artifact/enchantment count for some reason

I saw people talk about Scourge of Skola Vale in the BotG preview thread way back when, and it actually looked kinda sweet

Slaughterhorn is very good if you push green aggro

remember when Brian Kibler bought hundreds of Splinterfrights? I wonder what they're kindling for now

I miss Terravore being a Constructed card

I'm rediscovering Troll Ascetic now that I'm pushing Auras and it's still ok

Wolfir Avenger is highly underrated, it may seem that Boon Satyr obsoleted it but you can play both and Avenger is better in a lot of situations.

Yavimaya Elder is so brutal if you're trying to get through with the likes of Isamaru

Yisan is probably way too difficult to make work, sadly

The real problem is that so many of the best green 3s are gold:

The drop off between some of these cards is pretty nuts.

Personally I think that scavenging ooze is def up there on strong 3 drops and eternal witness is a card that is so sweet you should consider running more than one of it. If only to make green more interesting. But it's not great after an elf and I know most people here have their green section based around elves.

Finks also makes me happy but I assume everyone is forgetting that lil devil because white decks want it too.
Some people like 3cc green acceleration but that usually ain't me.

Swords make great green 3s. If your removal is shite you can try the wolfir avenger. It beats up on aggro and control sorta equally. The problem with a lot of green sections is they expect you to be playing like 22 land equivilants or more in your deck or like spoon feed picks like that to you to enable more than one green deck. You end up with decks with really great mana that are leaning waaaaay too heavily on what they are ramping into to carry the rest of their land, rampant growth and elf filled deck.

I still don't get why nobody even tests Arrogant Bloodlord.

I would swear I've posted about this guy. I love the concept but it just never worked well in my list- trading for a quarter of a lingering souls or a leftover wood elves, much less literal walls, isn't where I want... well, anything, really. There are just too many 1/xs for him to 'work,' and when he does it's not especially cool, he's just some vanilla guy.

For what it's worth I drafted six copies in a ten-man pod of ROE back in the day, with five shrivels to play nice with. Not sure I dropped a single game.