Sets Grey Merchant of Asphodel is the Best Card in Theros

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I know this is sort of late, but a probably facetious request was made for me to do it, so here it is. Please note this particularly hard for me because I always spell Gray as Grey and I had to fix my spelling about 37 times.

It’s pretty impossible to get me excited about a five mana card. First off, five mana is more than four, which means you can barely run any cards at this casting cost since all the sweet cards cost only four so why would you even want to pay 5? And yet, this way-to-expensive Vampiric Touch with below the curve stats has come along and impressed me more than any other card in a set that is currently holding down over 30 slots in my cube. How did he manage to do it?

First off, Gray Merchant supports everything. Aggro deck needs reach? Gray Merchant does direct damage. Control deck needs to stabilize? Gray Merchant has a big backside and gains life. Durdly decks needs something to recur? Gray Merchant gives you a powerful enter the battlefield to utilize. Need a zombie to bring back your crawlers? He’s got that too. While he’s not really ideal for any generic shell, he’s far from the worst thing you can run in most strategies. But mediocrity by itself doesn't get my seal of approval.

Gray Merchant also creates an entirely new (ok, not completely entirely new , an actually well executed) type of synergistic design space that transcends archetypes. Devotion gives you bonuses to building around permanents in a specific color, rewarding you for building in a specific way. At first it seems counter-intuitive: we aggressively increase fixing , lower mana curves and reduce poisonous design to increase competition for cards, so why in the world would we want cards that seem to push us in the exact opposite direction?

For me, it’s because while pushing in opposite directions may direct each player’s personal incentives in different directions, they are all still competing for the same resources. Cards like this create bold new angles to exploit the draft pool, but only if the player can get the cards to do so from a much more limited pool of choices. Gray Merchant of Asphodel leads players to prioritize black mana symbols, which is both similar to how Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas might lead players to prioritize artifacts, but because it relies on color rather than card type, it plays out in a completely novel way. I love cards that twist the evaluation of other cards and being able to get value out of cards others are willing to pass is an extremely strong quality in a drafter. Cards like Gray Merchant of Asphodel are great for this.

What does supporting devotion get you with Gray Merchant? Oh, just a ton of lifegain and direct damage on a body in a color that can sacrifice it and bring it back to life over and over again. Who wouldn't want that?

Theros is an amazing set and Gray Merchant of Asphodel is its most amazing card. He wins games, supports themes and helps create a theme of his very own, no small feat for a 5 mana black creature. Honorable mentions for best card goes the Nylea, God of the Hunt and The Ordeals.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Welp, at least we're not talking about a 1/3 flyer for two.

(Sorry. Just had to say it.)

Is he worth running on his own without much devotion?

Aside: I keep having the urge to say "Smell ya later" when I hear Gary instead of Gray Merchant. I'm not even a fan of Pokemon. Why can't it be "Welcome!" "Wot're ya buying?" It makes so much more sense!

Chris Taylor

Contributor

Aside: I keep having the urge to say "Smell ya later" when I hear Gary instead of Gray Merchant. I'm not even a fan of Pokemon. Why can't it be "Welcome!" "Wot're ya buying?" It makes so much more sense!

or "Tap 5, Merchandise you"

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
What does "without much devotion" mean?

If you mean without other cards that say the word "devotion" on them, without a doubt.

If you mean, without other permanents with black mana symbols in their casting cost, then no.

If you mean without making a conscious effort to increase the number of black mana symbols on permanents in your cube, I'd say the answer is yes, but you should be looking into running some of sweet black hybrids anyway because they are sweet and hybrids and they certainly help him.

Yeah, I meant without many conscious changes to the cube. Sorry, I was in a bit too much of a hurry to elaborate. Had to take care of some cats.

Well, I guess I should put him in next time I overhaul my cube.