1 Acidic Slime

Column 3:
1 Mulldrifter
1 Exhume
1 Young Pyromancer

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
The final grid draft in you 'league' so to speak and the first grid draft where I had my recording setup. It was an interesting draft. I seemed to be in 'Safra Cube' mode and kept picking high powered things with decent fixing rather than a cohesive gameplan. Here is the deck I ended up with...
HgfYohl.png

I would regularly take out Tymaret, Trading Post, Kessig Cagebreakers and an Island to put in Rude Awakening, Hellkite Igniter, Reckless Bushwhacker and a Mountain. This was because I wasn't sure how aggressive Grillo's deck would be so i didn't think I could get to those 7 drops regularly, but it seems that I could. I took out Trading Post due to his Keldon Vandals and the Cagebreakers due to Necrogenesis.

I'll let Grillo talk about any interesting gameplay situations that occurred. I'll just dump my youtube video here. Should have a playlist of the draft and all subsequent matches. They are surprisingly watchable. Maybe not with your full attention, but watchable nonetheless.
I hope the next 'league' will be just as sweet. I need to maintain my crown (spoilers?)!

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Basically I got savaged. I'll post my deck later, but I didn't really come out of the grid draft with a coherent plan. I was in a "protect the queen" aggro deck, but didn't realize it, and had no disruption for the few pieces of removal he had, so the whole plan would fall apart with a couple well placed removal spells.

To make myself feel better I am seal clubbing in pauper right now.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Also, after watching my draft video (I have no idea why I am watching my own video, and worse, enjoying it). I noticed that the Mulldrifter curse has been lifted!

I love you drifty. Don't ever leave me.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
So this was the deck

Screenshot_33.png

It was actually 15 lands. I had experimented with a blue splash rather than black, and had to rework it back to the original R/G/b build.

I still don't feel that this was a bad deck, or necessarily a bad draft, but I made a few decisions during the draft that prevented the deck from quite getting there.

First off, necrogensis is a great card. I also was very happy with the switch of skeletal to twisted abomb. TA is still a very real threat, but didn't just completely shut down otherwise interesting games in the same way vampire did. Barrage was much worse than goblin bombardment, to the point where bombardment is going back in. You're basically going from something that is a bomb aggro card, to a do nothing. Champion of lambholt is also legit.

Basically, as this deck worked, it didn't really have any recursive elements, and all of its synergies revolved around a small subset of key creatures:

And barrage of expendables, which was not a card. So I have a sort of dual vertical and horizontal growth strategy, that depends on a few key cards to really work. Because this is a non-white draft, and vines of vastwood was not in the draft, I have no real way to disrupt his two pieces of removal. This is a good example of why I've been such a big advocate of giving non-blue colors some form of soft disruption to aggro decks. And this is kind of a recurring theme in the videos, with me building up to a critical turn, and than there is ghastly demise on one of the key creatures. And of course, this is predictable, which is why similar strategies in legacy (infect) run blue for daze, spell pierce, flusterstorm, and run disruptive pump like vines, become immense, and invigorate.

Not that I'm really complaining (too much, I hate losing) but one of the benefits of these grid drafts is seeing how things adjust when certain parts of the cube are absent. In this case, this aggro plan just fell apart.

Things that could have gone differently?

My first pick should have been the double izzet boilworks/counterspell row. It can be hard to get good bouncelands in these grid drafts, and here I have two of them in control colors. I was a little nervous about going deep on UR like that, but you can still run them, and counterspell is always great. I am of course immediately punished in pack two where there is a starstorm.

I still don't think my first pick was unreasonable though, nor were my followup picks until pack 4. At that point I should have taken the savage twister, juggernaut, and assault strobe line, and accepted I was not on an aggro plan. Than pack 5 should have been dread return, mold shambler, and wing splicer. This gives me some disruptive and evasive midrange punch, putting me in a perfectly respectable R/G/B control build, with two great sweepers. This makes a bunch of my later picks better, as I am no longer drifting between two different strategies, and two different colors.

If I was staying on the aggro plan (instead of being unfocused) I should gone with the wort row in pack 7, and shifting into R/G/B instead of still flirting with blue. I just very badly needed disruption, which black provided.

Pack 8 is tough, and I'm still not sure about that. Probably need persecute at this point? Volt charge->vapors->swiftspear is probably more reasonable than what I did take.

Than pack 10 lets me go hard into a disruptive black build, and if I have to drop green and become more B/R, I should have been fine with that.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Yeah, there were some points in the draft I question what you were taking. Having those two sweepers early scared me a lot, and I like to think I nudged you down the token line to make you not use them. Then tried to keep picking things that give me a decent midrange punch (I kept complaining about picking 4-drops :p) to withstand your early aggression and push through.

That is also the interesting thing about grid drafts and only having one opponent. I had Consuming Vapors, which I would run in nearly any deck if I drafted it. However, knowing you had all these token producers I just discarded it knowing it would be pathetic against you.

Some tech plays that I enjoyed:
I felt a little bad considering you were having MTGO shuffler problems a lot of the time. Still was nice to clean up the victory. MVP cards:

Having a 1-mana removal spell was just so handy against your deck as you mentioned. It killed Markov Blademaster as soon as it came in every single time. Also killed the Skarrgan Pit-Skulk in response to the Elephant Guide that would easily kill me. Marsh Flitter clogged up the board so well, gave an evasive body to throw the Moldervine Cloak on and was even just an efficient beater all by itself. As soon as I played it every game I felt my win percentage rise like 20% it was that good. The other two were my main win conditions. Goblin Sharpshooter was just mean against your deck filled with X/1's and I expected it to die as soon as I played it every time. If it didn't die, it easily took over the game. Saproling Burst is great if I don't forget to activate it at end of turn :p Had no way to rebuy it, but plays really well on offense or defense and was the perfect top end to the deck.

Also, after compiling the decklists in the league that we played, I realised that you had actually won the league. I seem to have messed up and said I won the non-green one (which I didn't, it was my worst performace :p).

Congratulations!
Grillo 3 (Non-Green, Non-Blue, Non-Black)
Kirblinx 2 (Non-Red, Non-White)

I combined all the winning decks together and there aren't any large overlap in cards that won. It is the fact that there were two green/black decks that won (My non-red, your non-blue). I guess even the non-white one (this match) my deck was mostly green/black. The cards that appear in three winning decks are:

Which are just based off the GB decks, except for the husk that was in your RB Aggro deck. Nothing overpowered here. Just flexible cards that are great on curve. Ghastly Demise really is a great removal spell for this format.

You want to know the cards in deck that lost the most (they also appear in three decks)?:

I guess blue has a harder time in grid drafts. I know the sample size is small and it is the decks and not the cards that are at fault. Thought it was just interesting to look at.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
I have the winning decks as:

1) g/b value reanimator
2) g/b rampanimator
3) G/B/u/r good stuff
4) rug control
5) rb aggro

Its unfortunate our last draft was non-white, as we had made some pretty significant changes to that color over the course of the league, and I would have loved to see the effects in this setting. This kind of shows the traditional order where white is the worst color and black is very good and flexible, as well as how powerful rebuying threats is in a singleton format. I'm also happy that 4/5 of the winning decks were focused on some strategy rather than just being multi-color good stuff piles. In the first iterration of the cube g/b was one of the under drafted guilds, and here it is doing quite nicely, which is good to see.

I really enjoy the grid drafts, they seem to occupy an interesting space between an actual 8 person draft and sealed, in the sense that its harder to get a smooth curve than an actual draft, but not as hard as sealed.

I am having a hard time keeping track of my picks during the draft. I'm used to in rl being able to pick up my picks whenever I want and organize them by color and mana cost. This whole doing everything by memory is a new experience for me!