General [GRN] Guilds of Ravnica

midnightreaper.jpg

You guys don't know how badly I've wanted this card. I was this close to taking a sharpie to Grim Haruspex and taking the morph off of it.

The fact that the Reaper is also a zombie is very, very relevant. Besides just for formats with Zombie tribal decks, it plays with Gisa and Geralf!

Also just noticed that unlike Haruspex, this says whenever a creature dies, not whenever another creature dies. Honestly one of the only things holding me back from playing/keeping Haruspex around.

This card is great.

and it's a knight

God I wish this was the Volcanic Hammer with Jump-Start I was talking about the other day. Instead we get this and the trashy Direct Current. I have not been super impressed by Jump-Start so far. Even Chemister's Insight is just a worse Deep Anal most of the time. I mean, Insight is on theme for me, but I think I would rather just have Hieroglyphic Illumination and Deep Anal

Dimir and Golgari, on the other hand, have been sweet! I'm really high on thinking about these:
golgariraiders.jpg
dreameater.jpg

I like Golgari Raiders because it is a Lhurgoyf variant with +1/+1 counter interaction and Haste, both of which make it potentially quite good. Late game it has a lot of potential even in a deck without heavy graveyard support. I think it might be a piece of a potential +1/+1 counters deck in my cube, but we'll have to see...

Dream Eater, on the other hand, is probably not something I'm going to cube with, but I just think it looks like a fun card. I hope I get to pull it at the Prerelease.

Also just noticed that unlike Haruspex, this says whenever a creature dies, not whenever another creature dies.

Did you deliberately leave out the other restriction?

“Whenever a nontoken creature”

Also that Boros flavor text :p “Took her ashes into custody” haha :D

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
BTW, They've already confirmed that Invert on invert // invent is a mistake, and there is errata to make it 'until end of turn'.
Well, that then makes this unplayable for my cube, since I need the cards to say what they actually do. Great.

I can't use it as is either, since I also have experienced players who will know about the errata and play as if it does last until end of turn.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
cegOEfj.png

Oh wow, that's pretty sweet! There's secretly a lot of legends in my (and I suspect most players') cube. I've always liked the conditional removals for 2, and this is a great version, actually doubling as unbounded removal if you pay two more!

Me likey me likey

Can block anything in slower spell builds, can attack for a ton of trampling dmg with Counterspell/white protection spells as insurance, and if you have to use them it just gets bigger (which also can create a risk-reward situation), ALSO you'll always block with it so you can bluff holding an instant. Looks like the saviour of UR Counterburn to me, with RW/RG berserker applicatios. Might actually be too strong in lower power formats with flashback/etc though (imagine with Mystical Teachings).

I like red getting more spells matter cards as it makes it easier to thread it across non izzet guilds. Also like that the focus is more on spell velocity this time round too.

Did you deliberately leave out the other restriction?

“Whenever a nontoken creature”

Also that Boros flavor text :p “Took her ashes into custody” haha :D
Both of them are restricted to nontoken? Didn't want to waste time typing it out twice since I was highlighting a difference.

Price of Fame

It is kind of neat in the way that it has a pseudo restriction and also does something interesting besides. But it kind of go against what I feel like the legendary status should be. In my opinion it should be an upside to be legendary and not a downside. However it is build into the rules to be unique in MtG (1 at a time maximum). I would want it to be the other way around. Cost 2 against non-legendaries and 4 against legendaries. Then maybe only Surveil 1 for balance.

Man it really sucks to be legendary in Magic: the Gathering :(

Erratic Cyclops vs Pyre Hound will be an interesting one in the Fight Club thread! Cyclops seems like it'd be a little more explosive and make for better stories. It also survives wildfire!! But Hound might be better in a game that goes long? So they want different decks, probably.

Edit: Honestly?? Wildfire, remove everything from the board and then swing in with a 6/8? That sounds so sweet!

*adds Erratic Cyclops to the list of things that work very well with Delve spells*

I think the """cool""" 4 drop I've been looking for.

Wow, yeah, that card would be awesome with stuff like Treasure Cruise. ALso, another thing to go crazy with my beloved Sprout Swarm ... 20/8 trample anyone?

Too bad I'm against spells matter creatures that don't work with reactive spells like Counters.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Erratic Cyclops vs Pyre Hound will be an interesting one in the Fight Club thread! Cyclops seems like it'd be a little more explosive and make for better stories. It also survives wildfire!! But Hound might be better in a game that goes long? So they want different decks, probably.

Edit: Honestly?? Wildfire, remove everything from the board and then swing in with a 6/8? That sounds so sweet!

Pyre Hounde also survives Wildfire! (If you've cast another spell before it) :)