General [GRN] Guilds of Ravnica

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
So... Someone here was into a double strike theme for {R/W}?

636725120277068701.png

They also spoiled the {G}{G}{W}{W} uncommon. It's a 4/4 vigilance that poops out two 2/2 vigilance tokens when it dies o_O

doomwhisperer.jpg

This seems legit. Above curve, Evasion+Trample, and a useful ability. Not sure I'll have space for it, but I want to try it if I open it. What do y0u guys think?

I think, that cards like this are one reason I started to play nothing else but cube. This is pushed so far, it is just disgusting. It is not good design, really bad design actually, to make rares or mythic rares interesting just by pushing there stats further and tacking on extra keywords. Yes, rares should be allowed to be better than un/commons, but because they have more interesting and complex abilities and more build-around-potential. This card feels like a 11-year old designed it after his wet dream, where he beat all his friends in middle school with that demon. No color should get a 6/6 flample for 5 without an drawback, that's just like breaking a gentleman's rule.

For this problem child I would suggest "When you have less cards in graveyard than any opponent, sacrifice this", which would bring a dynamic between surveilling and, well, killing/milling/discarding your opponents stuff.

So... Someone here was into a double strike theme for {R/W}?

636725120277068701.png

They also spoiled the {G}{G}{W}{W} uncommon. It's a 4/4 vigilance that poops out two 2/2 vigilance tokens when it dies o_O

I have a double strike subtheme in RW! This guy is awesome as a multi-color signpost for that. I'm a little conflicted now with what to do with my Boros section: support the go-wide tokens theme, or the double strike sub-theme? Maybe the correct answer is "both" somehow....

At first I thought this cost 3, which bummed me out because it seemed a little too weak. It's great at {R}{W} though!

I'm not a big fan of the XXYY uncommons, by and large. They are strong, but don't seem quite strong/unique enough to justify the tough cost. The Selesnya and Izzet ones are probably the closest to working for me.

I like Doomed Witness. Flying is better than lifelink, but that guy has synergy with my lifegain archetype. I think I'm going to play him alongside Traveler.

Another non-targeting GY spell :)

One of the most balanced ones between the halves yet, imo. Using each half has real opportunity cost of losing the other half.

Edit: Didn't feel like double posting. This is a really nifty little piece for formats that want to run Madness Aggro, and not terrible besides that

EDITEDIT: I should probably have the translation.
MAXIMUM VELOCITY (love that name)
R
target creature gets +1/+1 and haste until EOT
Jump-start

Oh right, that thing exists as well :')

Yes it has been printed in 8 different sets since it was first printed in Innistrad 7 years ago in 2011. That was 5 years before Blizzard came up with Possessed Villager in case you were wondering :p

Also green has Blisterpod if someone wants something more than a vanilla 1/1.

I think, that cards like this are one reason I started to play nothing else but cube. This is pushed so far, it is just disgusting. It is not good design, really bad design actually, to make rares or mythic rares interesting just by pushing there stats further and tacking on extra keywords. Yes, rares should be allowed to be better than un/commons, but because they have more interesting and complex abilities and more build-around-potential. This card feels like a 11-year old designed it after his wet dream, where he beat all his friends in middle school with that demon. No color should get a 6/6 flample for 5 without an drawback, that's just like breaking a gentleman's rule.

For this problem child I would suggest "When you have less cards in graveyard than any opponent, sacrifice this", which would bring a dynamic between surveilling and, well, killing/milling/discarding your opponents stuff.

source.gif

I don't know what it is with WOTC and Surveil with this set, but there are a lot of cards that interact with this mechanic. Take a look at these new cards:
enhancedsurveillance.jpg
dimirspybug.jpg

Obviously not Cubeable unless you have a significant As-fan of Surveil stuff, and even then probably not worth it. My point in bringing these up is that wizards really wants surveillance to be a thing in GRN limited.

As I was writing this bit, this card was previewed:
disinformationcampaign.jpg

Holy crap the potential for value here is real. Depending on how many surveil cards end up being cubeable I could see this being playable as well. While it's definitely not efficient, the fact that you're only gaining card advantage after the first activation makes this a lot more palatable to me. Probably not for my cube, but fun at the prerelease for sure.

Right now, we know about 17 cards that can surveil. Of those, I would say about 10 could be played in a medium powered environment. Of those, 3 cards allow you to get a surveil
every turn. Judging by the fact that we still have about 3 and 1/2 days of previews left, I would be willing to bet we will see at least a few more playable cards. Am I necessarily saying that we should all be running a surveil matters theme in our lists? No, of course not. What I am saying is that this mechanic is probably deep enough as to where one could run a card that cares about surveillance and have it actually matter. Remember the Blood Operative we saw yesterday? You could probably run that and have it's surveil clause matter if you wanted it to.

I probably just like this mechanic too much, but it looks so fun to play with!! I think this is probably the best job WOTC has done with the Dimir guild, and it may very well end up being the best Guild mechanic overall.

yea hopefully surveil gets more love than investigate. that blood operative combo seems sweet.

the art on dream eater looking gorgan sphinx. really like vensers ghost

Well now, that's a bold and debatable statement!

not all suns' dawn tho

i think this artifact loot was a step above grim haruspex. just not drawing on death trigger kinda invalidated most of his play. that zombie knight looks goodie

gate%20to%20the%20afterlife.jpg

really liking
knightofautumn.jpg
houseguildmage.jpg

leagueguildmage.jpg
hypothesizzle.jpg
bloodoperative.jpg
lazavthemultifarious.jpg

needs more gate matters cards

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
The surveil payoff cards are pretty blunt in their execution, but surveil itself could be the best smoothing mechanic ever. I have great hopes I will be able to include at least some surveil cards.

Love the activated ability on doom whisperer. It's too bad they pushed the body/mana cost so much. The art's great, too!

I might still play it... I want to surveil myself into oblivion.

The gate tutoring green cards almost make me want to play with gates but I feel like that would almost require me to make an entirely different cube.

sproutingrenewal.jpg
Sprouting Renewal
2G - sorcery
Convoke
Chose one:
- create a 2/2 with vigilance
- destroy target artifact/enchantment

This is another really, really solid disenchant effect printed this set. Convoke really ties the thing together :)

thinking this a better jori en, ruin diver. fields earlier. triggers prowess. counters matter. having an ultimate gives flex. sinks mana. slower prob draws just as many cards over time

firemindsresearch.jpg

the niv mizzet card i needed

May I ask how many instants and/or sorceries you want an Izzet Spell Matters deck to run?

With prowess you could also trigger from enchantments, artifacts and planeswalkers. It is a little bit more difficult with ‘pure prowess’, no?