Sets Hour of Devastation Thread

Let's just talk cards, dawg. How many of the three revealed modal spells do you plan on running?

Also, I like the big red dude. Reminds me of Crater Hellion, who ultimately got cut cause 12 mana was a lot. 7 mana for a lesser wrath is fairly appealing.

The new Hellion, Maw of Chaos, I'd say is decent at minimum and easily good/great. No Echo is a huge upside. For one thing, it can be reanimated without immediately dying next turn. May try it out. Not sure if the 3 damage is too "not-enough", so that gives me a little pause.

Maw of Chaos 5RR
Etb, 3 damage to each other creature
6/6

That's my fear too, I imagine there will be a lot of boards where you hardcast this and your opponent just does not really care about the wrath and the 6/6, but the inverse has to be true as well. I am excited about the reanimation clause though, the wrath should have a LOT more impact coming out of the yard turns 3-6

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Anybody sick of blocks ending with an apocalypse yet?

No, not really :p That should get better though once they shift to the one-set-block policy ;)

Also, lands, boys and girls, lands.

hPnnNkp.png

Not basic lands, lands.

How do you attach a picture of a card that is not in the database yet?
Either download it and then use the "upload a file" button next to post, or just copyin it and pasting it from site to site works.

Basically insert the picture the old fashioned way

razakethsritual.jpg

Demonic tutor
Cycling

Trying to decide if I like this more than Dark petition. Cycling is a perfect mexhanic, so you can always bail on the tutor, but spell mastery mode on Petition is pretty sweet. I can see at least testing this new one. 5 mana demonic tutor is pretty hefty tho.

I like petition more. Having a chance to cast your tutored spell the turn you grab it carries more weight than cycling. In super slow metas it seems alright, but it's a bit too slow at a point in the game where you can't afford that.

Could you confirm that Imminent Doom checks the trigger condition both when it triggers and when it resolves? I think it does, if it behaves like the evolve mechanic, but just to be sure.

Could you confirm that Imminent Doom checks the trigger condition both when it triggers and when it resolves? I think it does, if it behaves like the evolve mechanic, but just to be sure.

No. Evolve has an "intervening if" clause. Imminent Doom does not, it just triggers when you cast a spell with the right CMC.

I feel like it suffers from being both dimir, which has a wealth of cool and similar cards, and with some of those cards being both low powered and simultaneously better. I enjoy Recoil and Far//Away more than this, and could see agony warp playing better as well.

What it really comes down to is discard 2 for 4B is not a real card, and especially one that is as broadcasted as this is from the GY. Even in the lowest low-power limited formats like some core sets, Mind Rot would be a straight-up 21st-23rd card at best, and while there are other reasons for that too it's mostly because just a random discard 2 at 2B is not great. With this card, there are going to be a large number of turns where you play the first half and your opponent is able to play around this or leave 1-2 cards in hand they are happy to discard. This card really doesn't seem great, no matter the power level.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Ugh... No. I feel that you are completely misevaluating the card. I agree that Mind Rot is a straight-up 23rd card, but you're completely ignoring the fact that the Mind Rot part is not actually taking up a slot in your deck! Disperse is legit playable, even if it's not too exciting, so the back end is completely upside! I <3 Recoil, but this card looks much better to me for three reasons. 1) The front side is cheaper, which makes it easier to use the card in reaction to something you... need to react to. 2) The discard is not tied to the bounce, which means you can actually use this to protect your own bombs from removal without hitting yourself. 3) Recoil only works as true removal if they have an empty hand. Consign to Oblivion works if they have one card in hand as well, which is a scenario that comes up much more frequently.

Plus, as I've said, I'm actively looking for another Disperse effect to better support Demonic Pact. Far // Away really doesn't help me with that. The fact that this is effectively a Dimir card is excellent for me, because that makes it that much more likely it wheels to the Pact player.

Edit: 4) Re: Signaling the discard. What's stopping you from Consigning their biggest threat on their end step, then clearing their hand on your turn? You can even get rid of problem permanents like enchantments this way if you time it correctly! And even if you do have to signal it. Let them play around it! Do you know how big of a burden keeping two throwables in your hand at all times can be? You've effectively reduced their hand size by 2 without spending the {4}{B}. That sounds absolutely great!

Yeah it's upside, it's just not cheap or great upside. It's fine if you want disperse + 5 mana mind rot attached to it, but I feel like I can do better in my dimir section. I see your points and get why you would think that way, but those points aren't enticing enough for me and I just don't think they are enough to really make it better. Like, I don't think I would play this in peasant.

That being said, disperse is a fine card and having upside is better than just playing disperse.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I realize I have more room for guild cards than most cubes, so the bar for entry is a bit lower, but I do think this card plays much better than it looks at first glance. I'm going to try it out anyway though, so I'll let you know ;)

Yeah I think this is a card that due to the nature of disperse will always be baseline fine and when the second half is good it will be great, but its certainly replaceable as it probably won't get above fine that much.

Personally, I've been sneaking the aftermath cards into the color sections, since the front half is generally good enough and the back half can either be ignored or splashed for (or, if you're lucky, it fits perfectly in your pair). I wouldn't waste a Selesnya slot for Prepare // Fight, but it goes great in white. Consign // Oblivion will do the same for me, fitting into the blue section. I agree that it's nothing out-of-this-world exciting, but I've been really impressed with aftermath, and so I'm looking to run some more pieces here.

Already a favorite. Will have to cut a custom card to make room for this all-star!

Still trying to learn how to upload non-released card pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_0092.JPG
    IMG_0092.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 26