General Iconic Creatures or Planeswalkers

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, looking to compile a list of (appropriately powerful for my cube) creatures and/or planeswalkers for an upcoming project.

Optional: for each one, give a sidekick or signature spell.

Captain:

Signature Spell / Sidekick:

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Ummm… I still don’t get what you want us to do. How are the first and second post connected? I am confused

More or less I'm trying to make a tournament of 32 duel decks which each feature an iconic MTG card as the headliner. Currently just brainstorming, but they'd be cube sealed decks made by the community with certain restrictions.

How dare you miss this iconic duo?

With the option to use something like Familiar's Ruse or Withdrawal instead if you don't feel like supporting the full Eternal Command combo in your sealed deck, of course.

EDIT: I am an idiot, and I missed ol' Whitney in your big ol' post. Forgive me for being so rude.

I like these duos:

I don't know if this pair works, but they're still pretty fun!

As for some other random cards...

4d3473d0-b46f-41f5-ac1e-ba217f7747d4.jpg
abcd0e32-2e6b-419b-9e8a-af38f2b48a66.jpg
If this is a Cube, I don't think you need to cut these provided you have some enablers in the Cube. Stoneforge just needs 3-5 decent pieces of equipment in the list (looking at you, Maul of the Skyclaves!), and Monastery Mentor just wants a good density of cheap spells (cantrips, bolts/shocks, spellbombs, baubles, and so on).

As for Delver, that one seems to work reasonably well as long as there are multiple copies of it in the environment. If this project is using the classic Waddell half a dozen brainstorms, then running 2-3 Delvers would likely be a nice addition.

I think the real question is how "optimized" Jason wants the decks to be. Are they supposed to be like cube decks, where synergies are broad and your deck hinges more heavily around individually strong cards? Are they going to be singleton (or nearly singleton)?

Is this going to be like EDH, where you can tutor up your "face" card for free?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I think the real question is how "optimized" Jason wants the decks to be. Are they supposed to be like cube decks, where synergies are broad and your deck hinges more heavily around individually strong cards? Are they going to be singleton (or nearly singleton)?

Is this going to be like EDH, where you can tutor up your "face" card for free?
Sloppy cube decks.

It's 2-4 cards seeded into a sealed pool that you have to build two decks from. Hoping for deck variety but we'll see.
I think some of the prereleases would have a base pack of guild cards or whatever and then a pool, as well. Kind of like that? A package to give you some initial direction?

I think some of the prereleases would have a base pack of guild cards or whatever and then a pool, as well. Kind of like that? A package to give you some initial direction?
Between Return to Ravnica and Magic Origins, one of the booster packs in a prerelease kit would be replaced with a "seeded" pack focusing on cards of one color or faction. Before Khans of Tarkir, these kits had locked promo rares with alternate art. Starting with Battle for Zendikar, seeded boosters were replaced with a normal booster, but prerelease kits gained a random foil rare. However, seeded boosters are still sometimes used in faction sets like Guilds of Ravnica and Strixhaven.

Between Return to Ravnica and Magic Origins, one of the booster packs in a prerelease kit would be replaced with a "seeded" pack focusing on cards of one color or faction. Before Khans of Tarkir, these kits had locked promo rares with alternate art. Starting with Battle for Zendikar, seeded boosters were replaced with a normal booster, but prerelease kits gained a random foil rare. However, seeded boosters are still sometimes used in faction sets like Guilds of Ravnica and Strixhaven.
That's what I said.

Could be cool. I never do these ideas because my crew can't handle separating a few specific cards lmao.

Are the players forced to include both the Captain and the Sidekick/Signature Spell?

If yes, I would consider giving the more powerful Captains a weak Signature Spell.

Like Jace, the Mind Sculptor gets

Of course the cards still have to go together. Not only in name but also in theme.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member