Card/Deck Imperial Recruiter

I choose not to run this because I have Painter's Servant/Grindstone and I assumed that the combo would quickly become unfun if it got too consistent.

The card seems sweet with a utility tool box especially with flicker effects or graveyard recursion.

Assuming the $299 price tag on it doesn't automatically unsell you, it's a really powerful card.

Think of all the things you can fetch with it.
Karmic Guide
Sower of Temptation
Snapcaster Mage
Phyrexian Metamorph
Meloku the clouded Mirror
Kiki-Jiki, Mirror breaker
Braid Cabal Minion
Murderous Redcap
Avalanche Riders
Siege-Gang Commander
Goblin Welder
Deranged Hermit
Acidic Slime
Reclamation Sage (and all her enchantment/artifact killing brethren)
Eternal Witness
Solemn Simulacrum
Genzo, Dungeon Warden
Trygon Predator

And that's just a quick glance at my own cube list. There are plenty more good targets.

CML

Contributor
I choose not to run this because I have Painter's Servant/Grindstone and I assumed that the combo would quickly become unfun if it got too consistent.

The card seems sweet with a utility tool box especially with flicker effects or graveyard recursion.

can you describe the context in which painter and grindstone are sweet?

wadds: if you tutor up kiki-jiki you can keep tutoring up 2-power guys for all eternity. you can also attack for 1.

the "power 2 or less" phrase also appears on beloved staple reveillark

I love recruiter in a well tuned cube.
In a loose or big cube it's also just kinda fun to see what you can find with her.

It not only makes red decks way more fun and interest to play with the likes of kiki, but it fits into RG midranged value decks like a charm and it finds you most of the idiots you want in terms of blue creatures.

etc

I think I just like anything that further diversifies red and gives it more fun and whacky plays and I think kiki does that, despite making unfair games a hazard.

My favourite kiki deck had these cards:

I think it's a different card in white, it's got way fewer fun things available to it, and it would barely be making white aggro any better while the UW midranged decks seem fine in most cubes. White how ever tends to be more about buffs so with a good aura or two finding a geist with this or silverblade you might be dandy. Abject white bodies are probably a little less useful than red ones too and the hit you are taking to your curve from playing a 1/1 for 3 is pretty damning in a lot of weenie decks, it's still probably fine.

CML

Contributor
the theoretical reason it is great fun in cube is that the 'power 2 or less' restriction is fundamentally broken -- contrast reveillark with return to the ranks -- and the context of cube can then 'unbreak' it however much you please

that and kiki durdles are great fun

it's an extremely midrange card and you guys are familiar with my personality. that BBD article with "taking things at my speed -- sorcery speed" and "demonstrating my range -- midrange" was a masterpiece of comic writing and I like to sit around and read Wodehouse and Cervantes when I'm bored.

another interesting point: i tried to add packages to 'support Recruiter' including cards like Goblin Welder and Painter's Servant, but then I took them out and it worked better, which is the direction I'm moving in with my themes these days. at the very least these themes feel less artificial and probably provide more replay value than more inorganic themes.