General In search of ideas

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Does this guy really stand up in today's world of pushed creatures? I love Batman but I keep wanting to take him out because against the other options he seems so underpowered these days (even in my semi-retro cube).

How are you using (abusing) this guy? Clearly blink themes are good, but otherwise I'm just not sure he is worth 6 mana (anymore).

I think he is pretty reasonable. If he is not dealt with he takes over the game, but he doesn’t shut it down immediately. He also has a balanced EOT trigger to make the mana investment somewhat worthwhile if he gets killed immediately (and the regenerating makes that hard to do a lot of times). When you compare him with the titans he seems underpowered but those cards were deliberately pushed to make 6 drop creatures playable. If you compare him with the new M15 souls he seems really good.

Plus, they printed a similar card (relatively) recently in bloodline keeper, and I would argue that skeletal is the more powerful card (outside of a vampire tribal context). Granted it ultimately depends on what you are looking for, and there are a lot of great 6s in todays games, but I do think he has a valid niche to fill.

Why does a skeleton need to drink blood anyways? Is he just REALLY anorexic in some mystical way or does he just have a bad addiction to blood that not even being stripped of his flesh could fix? Why do bats think he's good company? HE FUCKING KILLS THEM, WHY DO MORE SHOW UP? Are Ravnican bats mentally impaired? Is skeletal vampire a skeleton that became a vampire or the other way around? Why wasn't he reprinted for Innistrad? Why was he printed in such an out of place area? Why are there skeleton vampires in a GODDAMN CITY WORLD? I love the design but whoever thought up the flavor for this put about 10 seconds of 12 year old thought into it.

"Dude, you know what would be SOOO cool? A skeleton that's a vampire!!! And he's got like bat minions and stuff..."

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
The art is pretty bad also as it looks like he just jumped out of a plane, forgot his parachute, and is about to pancake the street.

Why does a skeleton need to drink blood anyways? Is he just REALLY anorexic in some mystical way or does he just have a bad addiction to blood that not even being stripped of his flesh could fix? Why do bats think he's good company? HE FUCKING KILLS THEM, WHY DO MORE SHOW UP? Are Ravnican bats mentally impaired? Is skeletal vampire a skeleton that became a vampire or the other way around? Why wasn't he reprinted for Innistrad? Why was he printed in such an out of place area? Why are there skeleton vampires in a GODDAMN CITY WORLD? I love the design but whoever thought up the flavor for this put about 10 seconds of 12 year old thought into it.

"Dude, you know what would be SOOO cool? A skeleton that's a vampire!!! And he's got like bat minions and stuff..."

Batman is a vampire who is skeletal because he has an insanely high metabolism. Dude is always hungry and by extension looks emaciated all the time. As far as the bat minions... he can control them with his mind. They really aren't his friends, he's glamoured the whole species so they really don't have much choice. And he eats them sometimes because again the guy gets fucking hungry. Speaking of which, of course he hangs around cities - more food. Again, it's all about the metabolism.

As far as Innistrad is concerned. Look man. He got summoned to deal with all the fucking werewolves. Don't you watch True Blood?

Yeah, OK. It does sort of sound like an episode of Axe Cop.

I need to set up a list on cube tutor. Right now, I don't really have a cube. There's the old one that's been torn to pieces and parts of a new one that only amount to giant lists of cards in notepad lol

Laz

Developer
I need to set up a list on cube tutor. Right now, I don't really have a cube. There's the old one that's been torn to pieces and parts of a new one that only amount to giant lists of cards in notepad lol

Cube tutor supports cubes of 0+ cards, so you can just build it out as you go. I actually would much prefer to see the thought process as swathes of cards are added than try to work back from a complete list to see what you are trying to do. I really struggle when people go "Here is my 450, what do you think?". A cube list is pretty hard to just absorb, there are a lot of subtle choices that come as the result of one or two card choices that you can miss (e.g the discussion in the 'It could happen in any number of formats' thread about how Isochron Scepter distorts the choices of 1-2 mana instants and sorceries).