General Introducing the Cube Map – find out how your cube fits within the Cube Universe!

I was tickled by how many names I recognized in my immediate vicinity. This is the Penny Pincher coast, I suppose.
cubemap-jpg.3738
That is, in fact, the Auriok Salvagers cluster.

Has anyone discovered an island they want to raid and pillage cube ideas from yet? Looking for three more shipmates.
I've been plundering the Unpowered Fair Stuff 2020 and 2021 clusters and that's been pretty helpful for me. It's very different from the average riptide cube though.

Super interesting stuff, neat to see where everyone's cubes are at relative to the entire CubeCobra database. Main continent is pretty diverse and interesting to traverse through, I'm getting a kick out of these little isles for specific cube builds. I like Commanderstralia in the East and my little Loryn ReLoaded thought experiment chilling like Gilligan's Island.

mYAlq1X.png

landofMordor

Administrator
This is coming from the context of someone who has a Masters in Statistics (and finished PhD coursework), I am extremely impressed by this. Most statistical analyses you run into in these sorts of contexts are super shaky, but this does such a good job at educating the reader on stuff like PCA and clustering in a way that is so clear and visually accessible. I was not expecting to find something so thorough and concise when I clicked on that link. Well done guys, you knocked it out of the park. Looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with next.

Thanks for the kind words <3 ! Tjornan was definitely the brains of the operation, but the whole LP team collabs on projects as big as this, and it's so nice to see there was an audience for this project here at Riptide!

landofMordor

Administrator
Hello, fellow citizen of Hondenuras! I live a bit further south, in the quiet region of Alternítas. It's the dense blue bit — we have nice quiet winters, but the spring really has a kick to it.

Out of curiosity, do the colors mean anything?

EDIT: Will this be maintained for any future cubes? Or was this done manually?

The colors distinguish different clusters, but have no other meaning. And we plan to update the map as often as we get new data dumps from CC :) glad you have found Alternítas to your liking.

This is fantastic! And it is extremely useful, you can see similar cubes and see what others are doing.

I'm not surprised my cube is near Sigh, Trainmaster and Onder. I wonder how far away Inscho would have been before he changed his cube radically, he has been my main source of inspiration. I also understand why we are near budget cubes. Many of the synergy cards that separate our cubes from the powermax mold are very cheap.

Exploring this is really, really interesting. Looking at cubes that are near other cubes that I like gives me some good material to think on.

If somebody finds the elusive island of cube perfection on this map, please point it out for the rest of us.

Screenshot 2021-03-25 011328.png

The Elegant Island is a rock just off the north coast of Peasantine. At first glance, it's just an odd peasant cube with rares, but geological findings show it broke off the mainland of Cubanica years ago and drifted south, picking up bits and pieces of debris from Sinergia and Tribalia along the way.

Neighbors I know:
Screenshot 2021-03-25 012516.png

landofMordor

Administrator
Battlebox is such a sweet format :)

Yeah I really have enjoyed it as a way to scratch the "develop a completely silly board state" itch that EDH used to fill! I have also tried to make this particular battlebox draftable and its definitely my most Riptidean design effort yet.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I have never played a battlebox. How do you play it? Is there a good primer for the format?
There's a site that lists the commonly used rules, but I'll summarize. A battlebox typically consists of 200 handpicked nonland cards and two sets of 10 lands, usually 5 basics and 5 allied taplands (e.g. Azorius Guildgate). Each player takes a portion of the battlebox at random as their personal library, draws 4 cards as their starting hand (the maximum hand size is still 7 though), and puts one of the two 10 land sets in their command zone. During each of your turns you may play one land from your command zone, otherwise the game plays like a normal Magic game.

There are a number of variations on these rules of course. Some players like to play with a shared libraries, some tweak the contents of the land sets. My personal battle box focuses on the inherent tension provided by the taplands. There are good one drops that make you want to lead with a basic, and there are a lot of color intensive cards, like Gatekeeper of Malakir and Fated Retribution, that make you want to run out all three lands of a specific color. It feels like a great sequencing puzzle, and for me it's as fun watching two other players agonizing over the right order to develop their lands and play their cards as it is to play it myself. The power level skews a bit toward Hearthstone, in that you can afford to push your low mana value cards, and need to dial back the power of your high mana value cards, because you are guaranteed a land drop on each of your first ten turns. Man, I really wish my wife knew how to play Magic right now :')

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
cedgj57.png

I like how the cape of Type 4 branches off the commander cubes. Makes sense, they have the same end goal of playing lots of cool big cards.
It's also a great way to see other cubes that are like yours and get inspriation from. I always look for more type 4 cubes, but they don't always call it that. Like there is an Omniscience cube that I would never have found with the same premise, but they call it something different so it is hard to google-fu for it.

This is such a great piece of content for the cube community and I am so glad you made it. I just love stats. I can't see this being beaten for the most liked post this year (never say never I suppose).

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
This is such a great piece of content for the cube community and I am so glad you made it. I just love stats. I can't see this being beaten for the most liked post this year (never say never I suppose).

It's crazy this is already the second post that equals (and in this case even exceeds) the nr. 1 of last year, and March hasn't even ended! We're off to the races here! I can't even be mad this overtook me for the tentative nr.1 spot for 2021 :D

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
It's crazy this is already the second post that equals (and in this case even exceeds) the nr. 1 of last year, and March hasn't even ended! We're off to the races here! I can't even be mad this overtook me for the tentative nr.1 spot for 2021 :D

That's because it is Jason's' forum. The users ebb and flow due to his contributions. He was largely absent for the last couple of years. Has come back in a big capacity this year and thus, the forum activity has increased. I'm sure there is something saying there are more concurrent users this year than the last couple. More users mean a better chance of a like being thrown your way.
It says nothing about the quality of posts in the forum over the last couple of years, there have been some that are probably better than this post, but we just didn't have the users around to appreciate it.

You do a very good job of keeping the forum engrossed while he is away, so I salute you for that!

The Return of the King.

...that's it. That's the whole post.

Okay, I lied. You're so much better than Denethor (and hopefully a tidier eater) and have a good shot of winning it back with eight whole months to go. I do think that there's been a big influx of users over the last year, myself among them--I lurked around here for about a year and a half before joining, and it's definitely gotten a lot more active. It also seems like a lot of people left around 2017-2018, several of whom have come back recently, so maybe it's better to characterize it as a temporary ice age.

On that note, I think Magic has experienced a renaissance on the whole since Masters 25 and Arena. Those two are what drew me back in, in no small part due to how WotC stepped up their advertising. I had never drafted seriously before then (no more than two or three times), and had only played kitchen table as a kid from 8th edition through Scars of Mirrodin. I think there are a lot of people like me who played Magic a lot as kids and are coming back to it with renewed interest, especially during a year in which a lot of normal hobbies have been suspended.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
That's because it is Jason's' forum. The users ebb and flow due to his contributions. He was largely absent for the last couple of years. Has come back in a big capacity this year and thus, the forum activity has increased. I'm sure there is something saying there are more concurrent users this year than the last couple. More users mean a better chance of a like being thrown your way.
It says nothing about the quality of posts in the forum over the last couple of years, there have been some that are probably better than this post, but we just didn't have the users around to appreciate it.

You do a very good job of keeping the forum engrossed while he is away, so I salute you for that!

According to the stats we're up about 40 percent year over year. Also James has put some good work into the forum upgrades, which work way better on mobile. Exciting times!