General Introducing the Cube Map – find out how your cube fits within the Cube Universe!

1622828946680.png
My new cube is a surprisingly big departure from the original. that may partly be simply because Sigh, A Cube is outdated by 3 years. Seems like despite the different color wheel, I'm rubbing elbows with Onder, and on my way down to Graveyard Isle where Inscho is.

Weirdly, I did look at your cube again today and thought something similar. Balance in particular stood out!
I really need to start a new cube blog. Essentially I'm in the middle of a transformation from a penny-pincheresque environment into something more in line with what inscho or @dbs are doing. But the transformation is happening in fits and starts, card-by-card, and I'm still trying to figure out if there's a coherent way to span those touch points.

I always laugh at how much they "balanced" balance with Magus of the Balance. Most of the Magi have activations equal to the card in question, but they must've thought that this Magus went a little far. If it still had the equivalent cost, I might've taken a closer look at it.

I'm in the middle of theorycrafting an Innistrad Reborn cube incorporating mechanics that like Threshold + Surveil to flesh it out and create greater decision points. I'm curious whether it'll end up in Innistrad Isle or somewhere on the way to the mainland.

I always laugh at how much they "balanced" balance with Magus of the Balance. Most of the Magi have activations equal to the card in question, but they must've thought that this Magus went a little far. If it still had the equivalent cost, I might've taken a closer look at it.

I ran it for several months, and it was pretty decent...but pretty reliant on other cards to combo with like Zuran Orb or Greater Gargadon or World Shaper....not even close to as effortless as balance.

That felt like a good thing tbh. A cheap activation would've been so oppressive due to the ease of recursion that they had to stymie it somehow. Even the Magus can come down and get involved in combat, die, and later in the game when you have a big play lined up recurred with a reveillark, sevinne's reclamation, grapple with the past, or unearth etc and pop off. Sometimes it's just a wrath on a stick which is still pretty good. Definitely not for most cubes, but I wouldn't rule it completely out.

EDIT: The expensive activation cost also makes it nearly impossible to lock someone out of the game