General Ixlan Spoiler

This might be the first card I'm excited about.

sirenstormtamer.jpg

I really like this card. It's a playable spellskite ability that can accept buffs/equips etc. Super good for the UR/w tempo decks that capitalize on cards like Young Pyromancer and Monastery mentor, or UW decks with Galepowder mage etc. Sweet card. Best Judges familiar variant yet IMO.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
There sure are a few very cool flip cards in this set!

3qn01ID.png
fKnPfXX.png

VcsJq5Q.png
eHflRR6.png

GHRSShe.png
UVSz8C1.png

I also dig Duress-Mesmeric Fiend:

kitesailfreebooter.jpg

And finally, I know CML rightfully hates vampires as a tribe in cube, but now that they're expanding to white, there might actually be something there! Also...

636402036762881653.png

Edit: Is this a cubeable card? Seems pretty sweet if you can find the time to cast it!

overflowinginsight.jpg

Overflowing Insight is way too expensive, you can't afford to pay 7 mana sorcery speed and do nothing to the board in cube. The only way I'd include this would be if you were running some super Dream Halls/Omniscience storm combo package, which even then you can probably do better since all the instant speed Opportunity-type cards are so much better for control builds while also still having play where this would be good.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Overflowing Insight is way too expensive, you can't afford to pay 7 mana sorcery speed and do nothing to the board in cube. The only way I'd include this would be if you were running some super Dream Halls/Omniscience storm combo package, which even then you can probably do better since all the instant speed Opportunity-type cards are so much better for control builds while also still having play where this would be good.
I don't know about that. This straight up wins a top deck war, and it's a hell of a follow up after a wrath effect, or simply when you have a good blocker playing defense. Granted, you need to not be under pressure, but on a stable board? Eesh, seven cards is insane!

I don't know about that. This straight up wins a top deck war, and it's a hell of a follow up after a wrath effect, or simply when you have a good blocker playing defense. Granted, you need to not be under pressure, but on a stable board? Eesh, seven cards is insane!

It's probably great in a control match up, but being under pressure isn't exactly rare in cube, and doing nothing to the board for 7 mana at sorcery speed seems really bad in those scenarios.

Before anyone says it: no, it's not because I'm a power-max-super-ultra-everything-killer-efficient-always player, this card just seems too slow outside of control mirrors or Dream Halls/Omniscient strategies.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I think I want to play test it (if I find the time between family, work, Hearthstone and Gems of War). Overflowing Insight won't help you when you're under pressure, but you have other cards for that. It's when you've stabilized that this will tilt the game very much in your favor. Sphinx of Uthuun is probably a better card, and Pull from Tomorrow, yeah, probably not to be honest? Anyway, there's a certain draw (pardon the pun) to a card that completely refills your hand. I'ld feel drunk with power if I managed to cast it and live, that's for sure!

Pull from Tomorrow is certainly better. I think you're vastly underrating instant vs sorcery speed for card draw spells that cost so much, and I think there are better options that serve the same purpose as what you're going for without only being applicable in one very specific window i.e. when you have 7 mana and you aren't being pressured. Seems like that's a situation that is *heavily* match up dependent (for which there are still better options that have play in other match ups) or you're asking for stars to align.

It's a fun card, definitely, and is probably great for multiplayer/EDH cubes, but I think you're living in magical christmasland here.

The main problem I see with Overwhelming Insight is that any of the blue draw X spells (Mind Spring, Stroke of Genius, Blue Sun's Zenith, Sphinx's Revelation, Pull from Tomorrow) compete with it, and whilst they're worse at around the same mana expenditure, they're so much better at other points of the game that I find it very hard to rate OI higher. The ability to play your card draw for less than 7 when you're desperate rather than having it stuck in hand is so valuable.

Of course instant vs sorcery speed has also been discussed but with spells like these I think it's much more important than other effects. Taking advantage of an opportunity to cast your card draw when it arises rather than having to commit on your own turn lets the control deck fill its reactive role far better.

Speaking of Pull From Tomorrow, how has that card worked out for you guys thus far? It's solid in Standard, but I never tried it out because I wasn't all that impressed thinking about how it would do at lower costs. Obviously great if you're dumping like X = 4 into it, but if it's 3 or less it's kind of a lesser Jace's Ingenuity unless you really want to put things into your graveyard. Has the versatility been the main draw of it? How often do you find yourself casting it for X = 1 or 2?

Probably the best of the 'Draw X' variants. Seeing the extra card vs Stroke of Genius type options is worth the discard, and when you are playing out of your GY it fees that much better. Being a lesser Jace's Ingenuity is fine, because that's not really what it is. Never seen it cast for 1, a few times for 2, but usually X=3-5+, and it feels fine like that.

You lose the potential for it to act as a win-con, but that's less of a deal if you can't make a million mana consistently. If my players liked drafting decks that relied on Stroking your opponent until you win (lol) I would prob include that over this, but usually that's only relied on as a back-up to storm combo/palinchron-heartbeat decks.

Not a permanent inclusion, but I've been happy with it.

Now this is a blue draw spell! Even the draw 2 discard 1 mode is more than good enough! Compare to Tormenting Voice.... honestly too good for my format for that exact reason, and the upside mode is truly ridiculous.

By all means do test it. Honestly, please do test it. I know from my perspective, the 2 mana uncommon draw spell is a lot more exciting than the 7 mana mythic. Speaking of draw spells btw, this seems very spicy indeed:

Growing-Rites-of-Itlimoc-216x268.jpg Itlimoc-Cradle-of-the-Sun-216x299.jpg

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Something like Tidings was already kind of borderline, I really don't think a 7 mana sorcery with no board impact will cut it in most cube matchups. I'd probably slot it into the sideboard of some control deck, then regret drawing it when I side it into some control mirror.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Also, this uh... jeez, like, imagine having a time machine and showing this card to players from like, I don't know, 2010?
2010 is right on the money, as flip cards were introduced in Innistrad in... 2011. So 2010 is pretty much before every weird thing going on on this card (transform mechanic, vehicle card type, weird border). Ok, I guess split cards and the Kamigawa flip-cards had weird borders as well, but this is something else even by that standard!

By all means do test it. Honestly, please do test it. I know from my perspective, the 2 mana uncommon draw spell is a lot more exciting than the 7 mana mythic.
Yeah, the two mana draw spell seems awesome! Ties into a minor discard theme I'm running as well, so I'm pretty sure I am going to make room for that one! Honestly I was being kinda cheeky when posting that vid, but I did laugh out loud when she cast it on a hopeless board and somehow managed to win anyway :)

WotC, you gotta be kiddin' me. Blue is insane!?
searchforazcanta.jpg azcantathesunkenruin.jpg
I feel like I really want to find a spot for this... maybe insread of Thirst for Knowledge. The transition from early game filtering and GY synergy into late game amazing draw power is.. wow.