Sets [J22] Jumpstarting Once More

Agreed with all about the disappointment to this set.

The Good:
:pogchimp: Jumpstart is an excellent format, particularly for newer players. More of it (the real one, not the set-specific ones) is a big boon to Magic. I like many of the themes and hope to grab a couple games with this.
:pogchimp: Some interesting designs, likeBenevolent Hydra which has me considering a change to my green section to finally make the dive into a +1/+1 counters sub-theme, or the previously discussed Ardoz, Cobbler of War who both supports existing archetypes and still meaningfully changes your draft strategy/priorities. Lita, Mechanical Engineer is only a few developmental knob-turns away from being a favorite of cubers twice over.
:pogchimp: Flavor text was a bit on the nose or "cringe", but very positive overall, particularly on the anime alternative art versions. The one anime art that I'm planning to swap to in my main cube is a great example of this, and the Tragic Slip is absurd and I can't help but laugh.

en_NOTu8PydpU.pngen_2XnOnBF7GZ.png

:pogchimp:
THEY FINALLY GAVE MY BOY THE UPDATED FRAME!

en_LeP8IwjOXN.png

The Bad:
:wagg: The anime bonus cards had a lot of potential, but the overridingly weird card selection for them doesn't match with either cards that would benefit from the aesthetic and/or aren't very beloved cards. A good example of how to do a curated list that people care about that just came out is the Retro Artifacts from Brothers' War: even the common ones are cards that see reasonable play in one format or another, or are nostalgic favorites. Like I said before, even as a huge anime fan, there's only a single card I'm "upgrading" to, which is a far cry from what one would expect based on Jumpstart 1's reprints. Also, Kasmina, Enigmatic Mentor already got an anime alt-art!!! Let the other anime girls in!

:wagg: It really feels weak when compared to Jumpstart 1, as far as original cards go. This is an opportunity to flex your designer muscles and make compelling limited build-arounds, but instead, each of the new cards feels explicitly directed at Commander. Too much "each player" stuff makes this present on the most obvious level, but even the mana costs feel like they're made with Sol Ring in mind.

:wagg:Zask, Skittering Swarmlord is the kind of compelling card I adore. It's a green "lord" that makes for interesting games without being oppressive (it tucks your insects to minimize repetitive gameplay, very cool) and even though it's way too expensive for my current environment (and I don't have nearly enough insects to justify it), I'd love to find/make a cube that would be a good home for him some day. THAT SAID, the Commander-friendly off-color activations on this cycle have always been egregious from a design POV, but this is the dumbest one yet. It's such a marginal upside that's so clearly there for color identity reasons and it just ADDS TEXT.

en_0kfJHv7xLs.png
:wagg: I've already made enough noise about my biggest complaint but I will state it here once more for the record: WHY ARE THERE NO BASIC LANDS?! I know they use Basics as a shortcut for every kind of promotion these days and are running out of interest in the audience with the whole booster fun thing of a full art in every "Premiere" expansion, but with only three basics per type, losing the "unique" thematic lands that allowed for a great diversity of new land types to help players better customize their decks on a thematic angle is a real loss to what made Jumpstart 1 so special.

en_lxt234UW3D.png

Worse than that, they reprinted Wastes with Zendikar Rising art once again. Please, give us another art for this card. I'm begging you WotC. A whopping 3 of the 5 unique pieces of art for this card are Warhammer 40k themed.

The End:
I'm including one new card in my cube (Ardoz) and one anime art (Stitcher Supplier). For the 720 card behemoth behemoth I manage, this is my smallest change for an expansion with new cards printed in it since the pandemic started, and I don't even get to enjoy 40 new basics like last time. A real shame.

:wagg: I've already made enough noise about my biggest complaint but I will state it here once more for the record: WHY ARE THERE NO BASIC LANDS?! I know they use Basics as a shortcut for every kind of promotion these days and are running out of interest in the audience with the whole booster fun thing of a full art in every "Premiere" expansion, but with only three basics per type, losing the "unique" thematic lands that allowed for a great diversity of new land types to help players better customize their decks on a thematic angle is a real loss to what made Jumpstart 1 so special.

en_lxt234UW3D.png
The best part of the original Jumpstart was the unique lands for each packet. The worst part of the original Jumpstart was the fact that only one of those lands came in each pack.

It seems like instead of just getting rid of the worst part of the first Jumpstart, they tried to "improve" by taking the best thing about the original and morphing it into the anime cards. They just forgot to make the Anime cards good (for the most part). I agree with you on that point– the anime cards are a truly bizarre spread of things most people aren't actually looking for.

View attachment 7793

A scalable Scales effect and payoff in one is everything I want in a card

One of the more frustrating things about the +1/+1 counters deck is the volume of 0/0 creatures there are. Having a 1/1 baseline is so much more usable with recursion, and things like

This might be the piece I needed to finally support the sub-theme

And also honestly just curving out and then growing your team is already a good idea so I don't think you need explicit tribal lords. Proliferation is a cool incidental bonus

@ me if you get it to work. I've tried so many times. It's too tribal, I think.

This is the general core I’m considering:

So not many super narrow cards. It’s lacking a green one drop that is of the quality of hopeful initiate. All the green one drop creatures just get bigger which is fine I suppose, but not really my thing

It’s probably not a good fit for the GCC, but it’s getting close

Two of the big ones I like that are not on your list are

The enchantment might be because the Class template isn't super sexy, but gameplay wise, it delivers. It's generally useful in other decks, is a great mana sink and isn't 3 mana.
I am usually not a fan of 2 mana dorks in faster cubes, but just like the Aspirant, giving +1/+1 each turn is really strong on a 2 drop.

Also, since you are leaning into Green and artifacts, I think this one is a good fit too

Not super exciting, but definitely a role player.

I've been thinking that a lot of those RoE Level Up critters are becoming a bit antique. Has enough power creep happened that you could reasonably start those things at level 1 instead of level 0? Most of them require level 2 to change - evolved sleeper seems to get interesting a lot faster!
And more to the point of Ranger Class, I think it's a bit confusing for levels to start at zero - that makes sense to programmers, but RPG-players are accustomed to starting at level 1. These enchantments are more intuituive

Clearly they were designed by programmers. :p

I'm not sure that "start at level 1" would be a good move, since some level up creatures are actually insanely well statted for their costs if you do:

EDIT: I feel like the best thing you could do to fix them is remove the sorcery-speed limit on leveling up. Something like Halimar Wavewatch gets new life in low-power environments if you can spend unused counter mana to level it up.

Last edited:
Instant speed level up on Enclave Cryptologist and Coralhelm Commander would make me so happy you have no idea, and would make me consider Lighthouse Chronologist and more proliferate cards as extra support to make it a "thing" that blue does even if you don't put those cards in the same deck.

Hexdrinker tho.

EDIT: On the Chronologist, thought "Man I remember back in like 2011 when that was like $15 a pop and everyone was putting it in EDH decks, I wonder what it is now..."
$15. Its still $15.
Why.