Jason Waddell's Cube

Laz

Developer
Jason wrote about it somewhere. Simply put, a random card from each row is selected to make up the cube when he drafts online. A pretty simple google docs script just runs through the spreadsheet, selecting a card from each row, then outputs the result in a format for drafts.in
As for how he handles it in paper? I don't know. I suspect that it is a bit of 'which packages do I feel like testing out today?' kind of deal. Alternatively Jason could be meticulously organised, and has all his cards perfectly filed and ordered and builds the list that the script spits every single time he wants to play...

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Jason wrote about it somewhere. Simply put, a random card from each row is selected to make up the cube when he drafts online. A pretty simple google docs script just runs through the spreadsheet, selecting a card from each row, then outputs the result in a format for drafts.in

This. I have written an article about it but it hasn't been published yet. Stay tuned.

As for how he handles it in paper? I don't know. I suspect that it is a bit of 'which packages do I feel like testing out today?' kind of deal. Alternatively Jason could be meticulously organised, and has all his cards perfectly filed and ordered and builds the list that the script spits every single time he wants to play...

For paper I just make a 360 list. There are a lot of polycube cards I don't have in paper.

It was a ton of fun! One of the guys we draft with every week has drafted the format online before, so explaining how the different environment (non-singleton, utility lands, etc) worked was easier with two people. It took most of us until pick 5 or so in the first pack to realize a lot of the differences (we've only drafted traditional cube before this), but most of the decks turned out well. Looking forward to when everyone gets a better feel for the environment.

Also, it helps our two very sad Modern Pod players cope with their losses by jamming Pod in cube :)

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Also, it helps our two very sad Modern Pod players cope with their losses by jamming Pod in cube :)

One time I drafted after a ptq with a bunch of people I didn't know. Watching this guy cackle with glee as he drafted a sweet pod deck was one of my favorite moments as a cube designer. We didn't get to play any games but everyone had enjoyed drafting so much that it didn't matter.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
It was a ton of fun! One of the guys we draft with every week has drafted the format online before, so explaining how the different environment (non-singleton, utility lands, etc) worked was easier with two people. It took most of us until pick 5 or so in the first pack to realize a lot of the differences (we've only drafted traditional cube before this), but most of the decks turned out well. Looking forward to when everyone gets a better feel for the environment.

And hey, now we can probably get foils on the cheap!

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member

Ah, great to hear you had a positive experience!

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Yeah I don't think many of those decks are even running it any more. On a related note, how low should I wait for foil treasure cruise to be before I buy one?

Probably when it's 6-7$? People will still want it for cubes and vintage, so it won't be super cheap (see foil trygon predator for that effect)

It's not getting reprinted EVER though, so make sure to actually get one

So after drafting this several more times with my group, I have a couple questions:

First, several of us noticed that the Blue cycling land is missing from the land draft. Is this on purpose, and do you have a reason for it?

Second, and my main question, how do you go about designing "packages" to come in and out of your cubes? I remember reading about some of the ones you tried (the life gain package, etc). What is the thought process when figuring out what cards to slide in and out for one?

Your cube is probably entirely too fast for Cruel, on second thought. That, and four Wastelands means it's more likely that CML never posts a rant on libertarians again than it is that someone assembles {U}{U}{B}{B}{B}{R}{R}.

But who knows. Try it and find out!

I drafted Esper splashing Red for Cruel Ultimatum (it was the three-colored card of the week) last week and managed to cast in in all but one matchup... my mana was super greedy, and I got punished by the 3-Wasteland Crucible of Worlds monstrosity in round four... but it was worth it!