Jason Waddell's Cube

CML

Contributor
I don't really see what this achieves. You need fewer duals than fetches in your deck anyways, and it's never been an issue for people to get at least one relevant shockland for their deck.

good chat about this on skype today, the thrust of which is that fetches and duals are in roughly equal demand but duals are better without fetches than fetches are without duals, in the absence of a million shuffles. i really think it's worth a try

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Wasn't that just your side of the argument?

Yeah, I had a pretty different take on this, but I'm busy and don't feel like typing it up at the moment. For the record I think CML also missed or misrepresented the utility land discussion. It's not nearly as circular as you represented it.

Basically:
1) The fixing is good in my main cube, but sometimes people want more
2) If you drafted all that you needed, you get rewarded by powerful spell lands in the Utility Draft. If you didn't there's a fun tension, because fixing is in limited supply.
3) If you increase the supply of fixing in the funsies draft you eliminate that tension because the player can get their powerful spell land of choice AND fixing.
3b) I don't care what the players want and any appeal to that is pretty awful. Of course they want more fixing. They want more removal spells in regular limited, but are forced to play (fun!) combat tricks instead. They want more bombs. They want power-maxed cards. It's all irrelevant. Give them good decision dynamics.

This fetch/shock thing is a total non-issue, and appealing to "duals without fetches" is both irrelevant and ridiculous because it never happens. I think this has been overly pedantic and that we should dial it back.

How important would you say pod is to green in your cube?
Do you find there are any rock or maverick decks that don't run it or would they just be doing themselves a disservice? It's just a strategy I've inexperienced with and have trouble seeing myself drafting, despite having a lot of experience with GW or GB.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
sacrifice + life gain =

I like it, but I wonder if you want 2 Zuran Orb-esque effects floating around, since they're so narrow. The sacrifice deck itself doesn't actually want this card, I think. Even if you have a ton of Threaten effects, you usually have more relevant sac outlets, and don't care about the life gain.

I was looking at Nyx Weaver today and wondered if you had considered it, with regards to gravecrawler/bloodghast/vengevine/scavenging ooze

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I was looking at Nyx Weaver today and wondered if you had considered it, with regards to gravecrawler/bloodghast/vengevine/scavenging ooze

I considered it but it feels a little weak. Maybe I have to see it in action, but I'm not really seeing it as cutting the "gold card" mustard.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
To-do: Test having more humans. Temporary bye-bye to the Lynxes? A BW Lynx deck 2-0'd our last online draft....

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I need to work on my cube, mainly tweaking the Zombie theme.
Image.ashx

Chris Taylor

Contributor
He does look good. I think stitched drake was in here for a similar reason, was it not?

Did anyone ever play UB Zombies? Nobody could ever cast stitched drake over in my cube

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
He does look good. I think stitched drake was in here for a similar reason, was it not?

Did anyone ever play UB Zombies? Nobody could ever cast stitched drake over in my cube

People played UB Zombies but it wasn't because of Stitched Drake. That card really needed to be {2}{U}. Mostly they played for the 1{U}{B} Zombie lord with the death trigger.