Jason Waddell's Cube

Wait, you consider Char too strong? I run Brimstone Volley and am not planning on cutting it--I like Morbid enough to consider trying more of them--but in my opinion you need all the 4-5 damage burn spells you can get to close out games and take down annoying midrange blockers. (This might not be true in your much faster cube, of course...)

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
No, I never said too strong. I was simply saying that of the two (and they really are competing for a slot) I find Brimstone Volley to be more interesting as a design. Having to figure out a way to get Morbid online is very fun, and it plays well with my sacrifice theme. Red is fairly well positioned in my cube (arguably the strongest, despite player protestation), and if I needed more burn I'd probably turn to Char, it's just not necessary at the moment.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
One game yesterday I got wrecked by a player who played Furnace Celebration, then cracked Fetchlands for four turns straight to obliterate my board. As a killing blow he Entombed for Hellspark Elemental, sacrificed it end of turn to Goblin Bombardment and payed 2 for Furnace Celebration to deal the final 6 points of damage.

images

Uh, so this card exists. Anybody have experience with it? Zombie + Treefolk? murmuringCrawler.dec? I feel like I'm priced in here.

Hello Jason,

When I started to create a (primairly modern-faced) cube I took Innistrad like some sort of blue print for my cube because I loved the Innistrad-format so much,
Along the way my cube changed a lot and lost some of the Innistrad-themes like the tribal-theme. However one of the archetypes my cube still supports is the UGb selfmill-theme. I also run a mill-theme. That's important since some cards can be used in both archetypes. I also ran Ghoultree, but even when actively supporting the selfmilltheme (I have Grisly Salvage & Mulch in my cube ;) ), the Ghoultree doesn't seem to impress. I will probably cut it. If you have better experiences with this card I am curious to hear about it. Cards that were liked for instance in the archetype are Spider Spawning and pseudo-spawning Worm Harvest.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Hello Jason,

When I started to create a (primairly modern-faced) cube I took Innistrad like some sort of blue print for my cube because I loved the Innistrad-format so much,
Along the way my cube changed a lot and lost some of the Innistrad-themes like the tribal-theme. However one of the archetypes my cube still supports is the UGb selfmill-theme. I also run a mill-theme. That's important since some cards can be used in both archetypes. I also ran Ghoultree, but even when actively supporting the selfmilltheme (I have Grisly Salvage & Mulch in my cube ;) ), the Ghoultree doesn't seem to impress. I will probably cut it. If you have better experiences with this card I am curious to hear about it. Cards that were liked for instance in the archetype are Spider Spawning and pseudo-spawning Worm Harvest.

I must see this cube. I love the idea of an Innistrad inspired Modern cube with a self-mill theme in BUG; that's precisely the theme that I want to graft onto my current list. If you don't mind sharing, please post up your list in a new thread!

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Jason,

Hi Arjan, thanks for the feedback! I haven't actually tested Ghoultree yet, but my plan is to (eventually) move my cube towards many of the Innistrad themes, with lots of graveyard play. I'm very interested in seeing how it has worked in your cube. Grisly Salvage and Much are indeed very fun cards. Ghoultree does have some pretty massive stats though, and I imagine it's not terribly difficult to score yourself a 10/10 for 5 mana.

Hi Eric and Jason, I've made a thread about my cube. You can check my list there. Feedback is always welcome, since I always look for ways to improve the list.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Thinking of reintroducing this guy:
Image.ashx

Control could use a boost, and he's kind of sweet. What do you guys think about ol' Sorzhov?

I honestly havent been all that impressed with him. We havent seen him in play a ton but when we have hes been rather lackluster. I was pretty disappointed when I first noticed the bats dont fly. Lifelink is an ability that either ruins aggro or doesn't affect the game at all. I wouldve prefered the tokens to have death touch. We may just need to try fitting him in more decks but currently hes not liked much in my group. If we dont find a deck that he shines in soon I'll be looking for a replacement for him.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I like him. He's fine in control churning out dudes and padding your life total, and he's defensible in aggro making emblems and keeping you resiliant. I haven't found him opressive, just solid.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Yeah, he's definitely not overpowered, and might be a tad underpowered, if anything. He ain't no Elspeth.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Yep! I actually think that even at +0, she would be way more fair, and easier to bring down via combat.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
You know, that might not be horrible :p
Planeswalkers are so weird. The slightest number changes bring a card to it's knees

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
OP updated with current list (cubetutor) and my utility land stack. We're recording another 8-man tomorrow night. Wish me luck!

I think elspeth would be a lot more fair if there were more threats to planeswalkers out there. Ones that are easy to rationalize main decking. Things like rolling earthquake and dread bore. But likely I'd want more things that just deatroy it than do trivial damage.

Neo lava spike R
Sorcery
Deal 3 damage to target player. You may have neo lava spike deal 3 damage to a planeswalker that player controls.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Recorded a draft tonight and I totally bombed. Apparently I can't take match notes and play draw-go control at the same time. Back to the drawing board.

Maybe get a goon to follow you about? I'd totally be down to try a record and transcribe method, interview style session if only there wasn't such a distance problem. Maybe if my work lightens up I can meet up with Chris and Eric some time and go over the draft on their shoulder.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
WE'RE DRAFTING TOMORROW NIGHT ARE YOU DOWN

And hells no, come and play, I insist! I'd feel really bad if you came all the way up here only to take notes. You must cube, I decree it.

I'll see how late I have to work buddy! Worried I'll be bumbling around till eight. What time do you guys meet up? And yeah I think the note taking would have to be after we familiarize ourselves I think!

I have to worm you guys though. My in game decision making was at its peak around when RAV block was rotating. I haven't been solid on my play since before they took away stacking damage.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe get a goon to follow you about? I'd totally be down to try a record and transcribe method, interview style session if only there wasn't such a distance problem. Maybe if my work lightens up I can meet up with Chris and Eric some time and go over the draft on their shoulder.

What exactly do you mean by an "interview style session"?

I don't know if these articles are important enough to warrant a goon following around. At the moment I would make the following changes:
1) Don't record on weeknights. My mind is half-mush after work
2) Record in the afternoon so that I can write decent match summaries from memory that evening
3) Don't write play-by-play during the match for complicated decks.