Jason Waddell's Cube

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I mean, I like the synergy in the card. But I also wonder if most decks wouldn't just want, like, this guy:
Image.ashx

The card design is pretty far off from my experience bank though, and I imagine it's easy to either best-case scenario or worst-case scenario the card. I'll test it, but I'm also not eager for another narrow card that will only fit in the small, disposable creatures deck. Maybe for the Eldrazi Domain cube that has a lot more caring about Morbid and a lot more disposable creatures.

CML

Contributor
I think Stronghold is powerful enough to merit inclusion in the Cube itself, like otherwise people just pick it right away and Mosswort Bridge and friends look mighty stupid

Re. Tears -- based on my MMA experience, anyone ever think about cubing with Tromp the Domains?

Anyone ever tried to cube with Burning Vengeance or Furnace Cel?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I think Stronghold is powerful enough to merit inclusion in the Cube itself, like otherwise people just pick it right away and Mosswort Bridge and friends look mighty stupid

Re. Tears -- based on my MMA experience, anyone ever think about cubing with Tromp the Domains?

Anyone ever tried to cube with Burning Vengeance or Furnace Cel?

I have Furnace Celebration in my list and it's occasionally awesome, occasionally unplayed.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I dunno. U/W is the colour combination that most often wants a mana rock, and one that can produce colours at that. Blue and white both have pretty versatile options for removal, but only so many choices when it comes to getting ahead on mana. I purposely don't run signets in my own cube, and the thing that peeves me the most when I'm in U/W control is how my stupid Guardian Idol doesn't tap for coloured mana. I DON'T NEED YOU TO GET UP AND ATTACK I JUST WANT SOME WHITE MANA IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK

Well technically the signet would be replacing a Wasteland, if that changes your opinion. :)

Honestly, No. If Sphinx is "replacing" Detention Sphere then I personally think Sphere is the better card as itll fit more decks than Sphinx will. Dont get me wrong though they are both awesome cards and Im running both of them. But if I had to chose to keep Sphere or Sphinx Id have to choose the Sphere. Hows Venser for you? Hed probably be my cut. Ive never used him in cube but it seems like he would only be best in a Blink deck. I wouldnt want Venser if I was control since he does nothing on his own.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, No. If Sphinx is "replacing" Detention Sphere then I personally think Sphere is the better card as itll fit more decks than Sphinx will. Dont get me wrong though they are both awesome cards and Im running both of them. But if I had to chose to keep Sphere or Sphinx Id have to choose the Sphere. Hows Venser for you? Hed probably be my cut. Ive never used him in cube but it seems like he would only be best in a Blink deck. I wouldnt want Venser if I was control since he does nothing on his own.

Yeah, I mean, it's less looking for what the better card is and more about trying to help out a certain kind of deck. Part of the benefit of Revelation is that it will actually get to the control player. Maybe you are right about Venser, but I do think that the more synergy and context-sensitive most of your Planeswalkers are, the better. Venser isn't superb, but he's the backbone of an archetype, far more than the removal redundancy that Detention Sphere provides.

Yeah it's super cool when the value trades + draw deck works. Did you give anyone a bad evening? Did you ultimatum?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I don't have Cruel in my cube. Deck is here (crossposted from other thread).

Grixis Tempo

I never drew Ral Zarek, drew Batterskull only once, but I did get to overload Mortars with my opponents Thrun in play. MVP was Vendilion Clique, with a close runner up to Daze, which was hardcast 4-times and "return an island" cast only once, and flashbacked once with Snapcaster. People love to tap out.

Yeah in the modern one my deck really felt like it was a permission deck with the Thoughtsieze, Inquisition and Clique. Man did that feel unfair. I really have to force myself to take targeted discard spells but I always seem happy when I do.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
This is a very cool card that looks like it will perform like ass 90% of the time. Has anybody here actually played with it? Maybe I'm just super wrong.
Betrothed of Fire was a complete non-factor in Mirage/Visions/Weatherlight limited. Granted its hard to remember because it was like 16 or so years ago, but I really don't think it was ever maindecked for any reason other then total desperation. I don't think it even made an impact in junk drafts. The boardstate for this card to be useful is just too specific.