Sets Jumpstart Previews

T0olWfLB9E.png

We're getting JumpStart previews starting tomorrow. I wanted to make sure the preview thread was ready so that people are posting JumpStart cards here instead of in the M21 thread.

Kels_Fight_Fixer_EN.png

The literal first new card we've seen is actually a pretty spicy one.

Thriving_Moor_EN.png

I assume this is a cycle, and it almost feels like Vivid lands in that it'll be "fine" in a two color deck but really pop off in 5c. I'm avoiding, obviously.

Kels is nice. Good body. Have to pay mana to get value. "Indestructible" could be problematic at times, but it looks like a winner.

I find the Moor (and likely cycle) to offer some excellent consistency to the drafting section. A BG land, for example, works for one guild or four triplets. This new bad boy works in four of the ten guilds and six of the ten triplets. The usefulness of this card to many drafters shouldn't be under valued.

If someone wants to take all five of these and force 5c, I'm fine with that. It's not like anyone is really grabbing every shock and every fetch in high power environments and going 5c.

I think it's great.

The (we are assuming plural) moors are excellent for decks that are looking to make a splash for a third color. If you already have that splash mana from a previous land drop, you choose your primary color pair, otherwise it gets you the splash. Great card(s).

Oh man, Kels is straight sriracha. I might actually like her more than Yawgmoth as an Aristocrats payoff, since he's cool but he's also crazy powerful.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I don't think he's any good though. What have we seen so far that's good synergy with making your opponent discard?
If it worked with madness I'd be all over it

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I don't think he's any good though. What have we seen so far that's good synergy with making your opponent discard?
Well, Thoughtseize or Ravenous Rats (or whatever is appropriate at your power level) don't need synergy, they're just a good fit for most black decks regardless of synergy. Plus, people naturally play loot effects in their decks. Remember you only need to trigger it once to make it "better" than a Fblthp.

If it worked with madness I'd be all over it

Why doesn't it work with madness?

Tinybones could have game in my cube with such heavy discard and cycling themes. I'm not sure if it could really be a buildaround for me though....it feels like it would be more of a generic hoser in my environment.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Why doesn't it work with madness?

Tinybones could have game in my cube with such heavy discard and cycling themes. I'm not sure if it could really be a buildaround for me though....it feels like it would be more of a generic hoser in my environment.

Yeah I meant if it triggered off you discarding so you could put it in your madness decks.

Well, Thoughtseize or Ravenous Rats (or whatever is appropriate at your power level) don't need synergy, they're just a good fit for most black decks regardless of synergy. Plus, people naturally play loot effects in their decks. Remember you only need to trigger it once to make it "better" than a Fblthp.

Build your own Fblthp doesn't really sound appealing

It's a great payoff for the black discard deck, which really doesn't have much beyond Davriel, Rogue Shadowmage and The Rack. Unfortunately, it's quite narrow. Tinybones helps the discard deck immensely, but it doesn't make it easier to integrate it with other archetypes.

awesome commander. Triggers at each end step, and damages each opponent on activation. Maybe doesn't foster the most fun table of EDH, but very cute commander option.

It's a great payoff for the black discard deck, which really doesn't have much beyond Davriel, Rogue Shadowmage and The Rack. Unfortunately, it's quite narrow. Tinybones helps the discard deck immensely, but it doesn't make it easier to integrate it with other archetypes.

I agree. I'd really like the discard deck to have more pivot appeal....there's also Waste Not for narrow discard payoff.

right now, my favorite support for the archetype is probably

which is too low powered to my cube

The Thriving lands are awesome!

Not many years ago Wizards didn’t want to do anything like this because of ‘memory issues’ which I guess are still true but maybe if you have enough simple board states then it’s okay?

I love them! Now we need some punch-out tokens for each of the five colors :p (Like keyword counters from Ikoria)

I dislike counters on lands because stacking them becomes awkward - same issue of Vivids. That's the only reason why I'm not snap including the thriving lands.

One workaround is to have color counters that can go inside the sleeve. Very practical for 2 color decks.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
The Thriving lands are awesome!

Not many years ago Wizards didn’t want to do anything like this because of ‘memory issues’ which I guess are still true but maybe if you have enough simple board states then it’s okay?

I love them! Now we need some punch-out tokens for each of the five colors :p (Like keyword counters from Ikoria)

I've always wanted a D6 with WUBRG on it for Utopia Sprawl and the like
I'm sure it can be done somewhere, I just haven't looked into it.

Or hell, a regular D6 and paint/nail polish.

I dislike counters on lands because stacking them becomes awkward - same issue of Vivids. That's the only reason why I'm not snap including the thriving lands.

One workaround is to have color counters that can go inside the sleeve. Very practical for 2 color decks.

How are you making the color counters that can go inside the sleeve?
I am currently in the process of making sleeves with ‘upgrades’ on them which can be anything from first strike, flying, trample, rebound etc. If you have found a great way I would love to hear about it.

Hmm. If you've got a lifelink creature or a Soul Warden effect, this does a pretty damn good Mulldrifter impression. The floor might be too low here, but it might be worth testing if you are running a lifegain trigger theme.

colored cardboard or paper pieces could easily accommodate counters on lands. You can slip rather thick objects into the sleeve (thicker than paper) because the sleeve will still slide past the other cards. something like the below would work. makes for fun counters on other stuff too. Very reminiscent of elementary school.
th

I'd personally look to tap for yellow or pink myself.

obviously those would be used for the "other things", and I did make sure that all five mtg colors were in that shot :p