Sets Jumpstart Previews

I flip between running Phoenix of Ash which has broader appeal and Flamewake which has spicier lines of play. Although, they have some play off of each other.

Lightning Phoenix feels a little clunky....having haste, but not resurrecting until your end step. It'd be great to lightning bolt your opponent before combat and resurrect it for an attack. I'm not sure it makes the cut for me although the {R} activation cost is appealing.

emieltheblessed.jpg

It doesn't go infinite, unlike all the other cards (Unicorn, Grumgully, Anafenza, Rhythm, etc), but in return it's a big body and you can pay for the flicker. Tentatively interesting at least.

I wish it didn’t have that last Unicorn tribal text. It will send the wrong signals unless cube runs Unicorn tribal.

how are we not spending more time talking about the 2R phoenix? It's a good phoenix and I am a big slut for running as many phoenices as I can.

Yeah, that card is borderline busted at it's cost. Definitely playable, arguably too good for some cubes!

I wish it didn’t have that last Unicorn tribal text. It will send the wrong signals unless cube runs Unicorn tribal.

I think if your players have been playing magic for any reasonable amount of time, they will realize that the Unicorn tribal thing is just trinket text. This card is straight gas!

I flip between running Phoenix of Ash which has broader appeal and Flamewake which has spicier lines of play. Although, they have some play off of each other.

Lightning Phoenix feels a little clunky....having haste, but not resurrecting until your end step. It'd be great to lightning bolt your opponent before combat and resurrect it for an attack. I'm not sure it makes the cut for me although the {R} activation cost is appealing.

yeah the can't-block PLUS the resurrect on the end step is actually pretty bad.....I'd like to see a phoenix we could chump block with, but I feel like this one can't be better than the Ash or Flamewake Phoenices.