Sets Jumpstart Previews

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Zurzoth%252C%2BChaos%2BRider%2B%255BJMP%255D.jpg

Is this thing good?

I can barely wrap my head around that thing, but it looks like Devil Rabble Madster?

The theoretical aggro-ish deck that goes in is probably happier with a random discard than non-aggro villain. It enables madness. The devils are great sac fodder and they battle pretty well. The random discard might hit your own madness cards if your deck is set up for that. Or you can keep extra lands in hand with your low curve deck. You'll be more prepared for the randomness than they will, probably.

I think it's good?

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Man Wotc, I had been looking for a better Hissing Iguanar, how did you know? :D
(Also posting via "insert image" instead of copying the image into your post for MTG Goldfish seems to be a more reasonable size)

I mean I probably should have asked or given suggestions on how to post the right images...
At least now I don't need to keep changing your images (you were the biggest offender of big images Chris) :p

Branching Evolution seems to be a fixed Hardened Scales. With all the payoffs available for +1/+1 counters, I don't think I'll run it, but it's a new option for a slot that was either really strong or kind of weak.

n2d2ud69ex551.png

From another thread...

I’m thinking Jumpstart is a new way to create cubes. A little top easy actually and it doesn’t give players the opportunity to actually choose their own direction. But you could also create some Jumpstart sets and have an Odyssey set among them? Or several Odyssey sets among them?

I’m curious what you mean by Jumpstart being a way to create a cube. Are you suggesting taking 24 Jumpstart boosters, shuffling everything except the basic lands together, and using that as a cube, trusting WotC to have included enough cross synergies to make it work? Or do you plan to create a ‘cube’ of your own Jumpstart boosters for quick play?

From another thread...

I’m curious what you mean by Jumpstart being a way to create a cube. Are you suggesting taking 24 Jumpstart boosters, shuffling everything except the basic lands together, and using that as a cube, trusting WotC to have included enough cross synergies to make it work? Or do you plan to create a ‘cube’ of your own Jumpstart boosters for quick play?

My idea was Make Your Own Jumpstart Cube
The cube owner simply creates jumpstart sets just like Wizards has done with their themes. Some examples could be a mono black Innistrad theme which are 20 cards where 12 of them are mono black spells and 8 are lands. One could make a mono green Zendikar theme which are 20 cards where 12 of them are mono green spells and 8 lands. Etc. for each set/block/plane of Mtg.

Or one could make Jumpstart sets from other themes. Like "Artifact matters" theme. Or a "Lifegain matters" theme.

The way I would probably do it would be to have 50 % of the sets be called something like Divine, Angelic, Monstrous, Thieving, Cunning, Artificial, Enchanting.. and the other 50 % of the sets be called something like Pirates, Goblins, Saboteurs, Walls, Ninjas, Advisors, Demons, Aristocrats, Plants.. In this way you would get one set from the first catagory and one from the latter and often end up with wacky combinations like Thieving Walls.

You would play the the same way Wizards suggested with each player randomly gets two themes and shuffle them together.

The downside compared to normal cube is first and foremost that the players have less control over their own destiny. The upside is time and variance. I imagine one could have the first game started in less than 5 minutes. Power level is, just like cube, up to the owner.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I can barely wrap my head around that thing, but it looks like Devil Rabble Madster?

The theoretical aggro-ish deck that goes in is probably happier with a random discard than non-aggro villain. It enables madness. The devils are great sac fodder and they battle pretty well. The random discard might hit your own madness cards if your deck is set up for that. Or you can keep extra lands in hand with your low curve deck. You'll be more prepared for the randomness than they will, probably.

I think it's good?
The issue I forsee is that IT has to attack, whereas what I liked about rabble Master and co is they gave you a body each turn with no fuss.
This is better bodies, but your back a turn on them unless you've got a devil in play
Similar to Hanweir Township I guess?

The issue I forsee is that IT has to attack, whereas what I liked about rabble Master and co is they gave you a body each turn with no fuss.
This is better bodies, but your back a turn on them unless you've got a devil in play
Similar to Hanweir Township I guess?

The list of Playable Devils is starting to creep up, though. He might not get there now, but give it a few more sets and I think he'll be okay.

i just wanted to say that i REALLY like velrun’s idea of building jumpstart packs for your players. i have a couple of folks in my group who like to play but really get decision paralysis during the draft/build portion, and this format would be a huge boon to them. and enable more matches per night!

Jumpstart is either based on or the same as another game, Smash Up, that gives you two ~20 card decks and you mash em together and play. I considered something like this after having played that for the reasons you stated, but the deckbuilding part of the process is really the best part of cube. I don't think it's a bad idea, but I think it deprives your players of a lot of the cube experience.