Sets Kalonian Hydra is the Worst Card in M14

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe a two turn clock that is basically impossible to block without bleeding value to the opponent is actually the proper reward for getting to five mana in a green deck. Maybe the fact that it still functions as a three turn clock without dealing damage for the first two turns is completely fair. Maybe a card that is the MtG equivalent of a "save-or-die" is interesting.

But sure doesn't feel like it.

Obviously the card is extremely effective. Even the ludicrous Deranged Hermit doesn't come that close to raw facebeating potential. But it seems that it does so in a very uninteresting way. Either the opponent has a specific answer or they lose the game. Is that something we want in a cube card?

If your cube contains cards like Sigarda and Geist of Saint Traft you might not play Kalonian Hydra in your deck for dying to Doom Blade. I think if people are excited about it, that's because of its synergy with other cards that use +1/+1 counters. If that was a major theme of my green section then I'd consider the hydra on those grounds.

What do you think of Phage?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
The closest card I can think of to Kalonian Hydra is Darksteel Colossus. Aside from the indestructibility they have quite a bit in common. Oh, and the mana cost.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Granted, Kalonian Hydra uses +1/+1 counters, but it doesn't particularly have synergy with them. Vastwood Hydra does and seems like an inoffensive enough card.

Phage, while the save or die aspect is there, has both a higher cost (more time to save) and is easier to block without losing immense value (more ways to save). It really doesn't cross the line.

CML

Contributor
is anyone giving kalonian tusker a whirl? i don't think i'm going to, GG is tougher in my cube than GW for the kind of deck that wants it and i don't do watchwolf.

fire-pig, on the other hand...

Man they really want people to be excited about 3 power 2 drops but it just seems like it isn't happening. Maybe they will learn a lesson or something.

What about we just insert two copies of a card that is a 3/3 for
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
in every cube.
I wounder if a 3/3 for
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
would be universally adored.

Reactions: CML