Sets (KHM) Kaldheim Testing/Includes Thread

In the past it's usually been "one thread for spoilers" so people can easily avoid spoilers if they want to, then one thread for includes (which usually starts once the full card list is available on gatherer / scryfall) - I think more recently a lot of the community has indicated that they don't *care* about spoilers and the avoiding thereof, but I think that was part of the original motivation.

I haven't took the time to compile a list, but so far one card is suspiciously absent from all of your lists (except Afternoon Delight, obviously)...

en_IOpVvVST1k.png

This might be blue's best removal spell ever, and it's especially great for blue tempo-based decks.
I'm not playing this card because I don't want 1-mana unconditional removal running around in my cube. I think Fatal Push might even be a little above where I want my removal to be and that card can't even kill everything (although it admittedly comes close).

To be clear, though, I'm ignoring Bind the Monster because I think it might be too good, not because it's bad. The card seems insane, especially in Blue.

Maybe they wanted a card that would depict Sarulf being temporarily captured instead of a royalty sleeping? I could imagine Winter’s Rest being reprinted in Return to Throne of Eldraine if they winter it up on the return.

The only cards I'm pretty sure I'm including at this point, besides the Pathways to complete the cycle, are:

Cosmos Elixir is a lifegain payoff-enabler that control can use as card advantage engine. I'm pretty happy with that one.

Maskwood Nexus is a wordier but more interesting version of Birthing Boughs (and hopefully better because the repeatable effect is cheaper).

That said, I've been playing KHM Limited, and I'm eying the following for inclusion too:

Plus the uncommon lands, Gates of Istfell and the rest, for occasionals (they are really "gold" lands and the CCDD cost makes them not splashable, which is probably for the best).

I'm pretty low at this point on Foretell. It presents some sequencing decisions, but a lot of the time you're thinking too much about options that barely make any difference. I might change my mind with time, but it's been kind of meh for the trouble.

Not too many for me this time, nothing really caught my eye like in other sets:

Mostly cards to supplement UW Control and give it a little oomph with a Foretell subgame that can be played. Ranar looks like a nice means of branching between U/W blink and U/W control alongside these support cards, should slot in nicely and serve as a solid signpost in draft.

I was going to say "Strixhaven doesn't seem to have much for me, but I thought the same about Kaldheim, and I ended up including 15 cards in my cube's core." So I came back to this thread because now I have a way better idea of what Kaldheim has to offer to my cube.

Likely mainstays

The best thing about Kaldheim limited was how fun playing aggro was. This is because the equipment theme, with Runes being an important feature of the format, equipment in general providing a more lasting threat in longer games, equip costs working as a mana sink for using them on offense and defense, and Goldvein Pick enabling splashes in aggressive decks.

Boast also helps with making aggro full of decisions, and Usher is a 2/1 beater primarily, but its ability makes it anything but dumb to play with. The T2 decision of activating it or not is a classic card advantage vs tempo one which we've been missing a lot lately.

Cosmos Elixir has nothing to do with all this, but it's an elegant card that plays well and has so much going for it: it's a lifegain payoff and enabler, it's not terrible when being attacked, it's good when playing against control, and the decision of when to play it is a pretty deep one.

Moderate confidence

These are cards I think have a decent chance to stay for a long time in my cube, but less so than the first ones.

Village Rites is very good against removal, working as both a sacrifice enabler and an aggro-control "protection". It's a little on the weaker side, which is why I don't think it's a slam dunk.

Basalt Ravager is one of the best generic tribal payoffs, and being weaker than Flametongue Kavu is a good thing. It can go to face, which is pretty relevant and sometimes correct, and sandbagging it until you reach a decent amount of the same type makes the card more interesting to play with than Kavu. The extra dimension of caring about tribal to drafting is very welcome. I love the card, but Basalt Ravager is also on the weaker side, though.

Rune of Speed is part of the equipment direction to which I'm taking my artifacts archetype. It's probably the third best rune, but it's in the right color. Also have power level concerns with it.

Elvish Warmaster is an elf lord that doesn't just pump all elves and isn't too explosive. The activated ability isn't relevant in most games, but it puts pressure on the opponent and when it's relevant, it is very relevant. It's a bit inelegant though.

Masked Vandal is a changeling, and with the tribal component it's great to have any playable changeling. Artifact/enchantment removal is really good in my cube, and I'm pretty confident the card is good enough, but the reservation here is that the ability "cost" is unintuitive.

Maskwood Nexus is an awesome bridge that ties together all those tribal synergies in my cube. The problem is being so slow against aggro.

Probably just passing by

The concern with all those is power level / excitement. They play well in retail limited and fill important roles, but people have to actually maindeck them.