Column 3:
1 Rancor
1 Markov Blademaster
1 Rusted Relic

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Here was the deck

Screenshot_15.png

Went with a sweet little RUG Ramp Control deck. I like drafting these decks in RL, but this one got a little weird because of the grid. I picked up those bouncelands in the second to last pack, and didn't get any of the red X sweepers, which you usually want in a deck like this. I did have codex shredder (and reclaim in the board)

The end result was that I had to be very careful about the way that I placed my removal, and run it very much like a true control deck, rather than the more rampy versions I'm accustomed too.

I actually did quite a bit of SBing, bringing in reclaim every game, as well as keldon vandals. I would board out utopia sprawl, once I realized I was more of a control deck than a ramp deck, and I was taking out either wellspring or spike feeder, depending. In retrospect, I think I should have just been taking out wellspring, but it was kind of important to hit 6-7 mana on time, so I don't know. Not maindecking reclaim was a deck building error: those types of recursive effects on removal are just too important in a control build. I didn't correctly identity what my decks focus was.

Pretty much all of the rest of the cards in the deck were great, and it really hummed, though it was tough playing against kirblinx, because his threats were diversified, and matching up threats with removal was really challenging.

MVPs though were:

He had a threat array that mixed artifacts, big toughness creatures, flyers, and double strike creatures. On top of that, he had voyager staff and a temp protection effect to overwhelm my removal at critical times. I think this is the only time I've ever used the tumble side of rough // tumble, and used tumble in every game I resolved the spell.

Ghitu slinger felt like the best card in the deck, as funny as that is to say, always showing up to kill critical threats, and make my early game function.

I also managed to win a tough mull to 5 due to stroke of genius, which felt great.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
After a strong start winning the first match, I lost the subsequent matches and ended up going 1-3 in matches (3-6 in games).

7Olb4jv.png

The deck was alright, I just had some poor draws and Grillo had some well timed threats.

Match 1, Game 1:
A Reclamation Sage and Ghitu Fireslinger come down to destroy both of my turn 2 and 3 plays. I drop a Galvanic Juggernaut to start eating away at these three drops. It stays around and beats down while everything around it gets destroyed, then finally ends up dying to 2 Maul Splicer tokens. I get a Mulldrifter I can Ninja of the Deep Hours and draw into a bunch of stuff and start dealing with Grillo's threats. I get to drop a Jori with cards still in hand while Grillo has none and manage to come back from what looked like defeat.

Match 1 Game 2:
Grillo tries to kill my Juggernaut and forgets how the stack works for a second:
Uj9WnxD.png

Can't recover from 3 for 1-ing himself.

Match 2 Game 1: I am the aggressor and mis-click past ninja-ing my mindshrieker. Then we get to the next turn and I attack with it again:
ZRikDYX.png

I hit 3 lands in a row and my mindshrieker dies. Then I draw nothing helpful as the lumberknot gets to unreachable levels and I die to my own bad luck.

Match 2 Game 2:
I get aggressive with Mindshrieker early and beat grillo down to 10 before he Tumble's my entire air force away and the Lumberknot grows. I drop Galvanic Juggernaut which swings in next turn, causing collateral damage, making Lumberknot a 6/6 and I can no longer out race this tree-abyss.

Match 3 Game 1:
I keep a really slow hand of 5 lands, Ninja of the Deep hours and Elite Scaleguard. Grillo mulligans down to 5 but has an aggressive start of Porcelain Legionnaire, Civic Wayfinder, Reclamation Sage to deal with my newly cast Galvanic Juggernaut. Then I have to play catch-up with Aven Riftwatcher and a kill spell for the Legionnaire. This is where Grillo Stroke of Genius's for 3 and gets the gas he lost with the mulligan and just keeps the pressure on. There is a lot of tooing and froing from here on. I get a Ninja with the bolster from Elite Scaleguard. Grillo gets Maul Splicer. But after Grillo's Deep Analysis he finds the removal to deal with my Moltensteel dragon (with him at 5) and a golem token and Mina and Denn finish me off. This was a really close game.

Match 3 Game 2:
I keep a two land hand and don't draw my third land. This is that turn:
0CMf0AE.png

I decide to Moment of Heroism even though there is probably and 80% chance Grillo has Ghitu Fireslinger which he promptly plays turn 3. Now I manage to hit my next couple of land drops, use the Pestermite to trade with the Dryad and start beating down with an Aven Riftwatcher. The only other non-land I draw from that point is Jori which is killed straight away and the stupid Lumberknot comes lumbering in with Mia and Denn for 3 turns to finish me off. I think if I Momented in response I might have almost won that game (at least made it more competitive), heck if it was the Shelter that was in my sideboard that was almost in that slot I would have been in much better shape.
Ah well. Use the info for next time :)

The next match I changed my deck up to be more red heavy with tokens. I managed to win a game, but overall the deck was worse, I should have kept it the same.

The MVP's from my deck:

Voyager staff was awesome. It killed golem tokens, gained me 4 life and reset Aven Riftwatcher, reset Grillo's Somnophore and made Grillo think about using removal whenever I had 2 mana up. Only ran it as a Trinket Mage target, but it was way, way better than I thought it would be.
Other than being really unlucky in M2G1, Mindshrieker did a lot of work. The luck based factor makes it really fun, if not a tad frustrating at times :p
Jori managed to draw me a decent amount of cards. I think she is what got me out of M1G1. Getting more answers when playing answers to keep up with Grillo's fast start.
I love Galvanic Juggernaut. I never pass this thing ever anymore. It is just like a mini-abyss. Just rumbles in and slowly eats away at their creature base, or they take a quarter of their life total.
Along with the Juggernaut as a non-pass for me. He wins games so quickly. Everytime in these matches Grillo dealt with him swiftly, but if he did not, he would lose in about 2 turns. Being an artifact actually makes it fair, at it dies to more things (Reclamation Sage, sigh). Otherwise I would think it is actually too strong for this format.

One other thing to mention is that Lumberknot is hard to deal with in a non-black draft. Having no edict effects. Just have to be faster than it. Whenever it came down with friends around it, I knew my win percentage had dropped significantly. But hey, can't win them all :p

Tune in next time when we find out who the grand winner or our penny drafts will be when we finish with a non-white draft.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
A few more notes, now that its not late.

were good, but felt much more reasonable than I had anticipated. I hadn't really wrapped my head around how to use them, and wasn't really playing them optimally: I would play them and forget about running out the second land, or that I could use them to bounce scry lands. I was really focused on their interactions on turns where bouncelands came into play, and the deck was light on those; I ended up missing how good they are at enabling grindy plays.

This card is great, and with the slightly slower format, really felt like a dark confidant. This is probably the best enabler for the spell velocity deck.

As for the matches, after the first match I felt like I was pretty much up against a wall. That game 1, I felt like I should have won, but I basically just didn't have the ability to answer galvanic juggernaut efficiently, which looking back is why I lost. I kind of did my ramp thing, but you were able to get jori out, start burying me in card advantage, find a few answers, and than I was out of fuel.

Outside of having two artifacts that I needed to destroy, I was running a red removal suite, which meant that it would struggle with creatures running toughness greater than four. The other issue for me was all of those flyers, which I could only interact with effectively via removal.

This put me in a position where my removal suite could be played around as I would have to extend my answers to address each and every aerial threat, which still needing specific answers on the ground. Mindshrieker, in particular was a nightmare, at it was both a flyer and had the potential to hit 5 toughness. When you add in voyager staff and emerge unscathed, I could find myself in a tough spot very quickly, unable to answer a critical threat.

This is why tumble was so critical, I needed a way to address your air force that would preserve my other answers for the ground threats. I also needed codex shredder and reclaim, to make sure I had the removal density to keep pace with what was going on, and give me a bit more breathing room.

I felt like I was struggling to keep pace with you every game, with both the second and third match feeling very close. Mindshrieker was a really scary card, and I feel like I won some of those games because I couldn't afford to play around it, and got lucky on the activations.

m2g1

First, I want to say that you played very well around lumberknot, letting mindshrieker come over and passing the heavy lifting over to your air force. I feel like you had this game in the bag, with this being the decisive sequence.

Screenshot_16.png

At this point, I have a pretty nightmarish minefield to navigate; you're about to knock me down to 10, and if I get hit on the rebound I will surely die to mindshrieker activations. In addition you have staff up, which can be used to either save a threat, or force through a blocker.

On your next turn, we have this whole sequence, which I'm still not sure of.

Screenshot_17.png

I'm tapping for volt charge, and this is basically the entire game. You could voyaging staff the hero in response to my eminent volt charge, hold the staff back and go with a protect the queen strategy with your mindshrieker, or go all in, let the hero die, than staff the civic wayfinder, and crush in with the shrieker, and the rest of the board. That puts me in a spot where I am facing potential lethal, and could result in me blocking with lumberknot (which will win me the game given enough time).

I think your line was fine, but you should have been more aggressive, I think, with activating mindshrieker, and maybe you were a little overly focused on the lumberknot? Because you ended up holding back the staff, and just attacking for 1 with mindshrieker (which I was relieved about). With my deck being a rampy control deck, you had a reasonable chance of killing me or putting me to critically low life totals on the spot, and indeed you would have hit mina and denn has you activated, dropping me to at least 6. I don't think I would have even bothered with the ninja.

As it was, I still needed to get lucky on you hitting three lands in a row, because that somnophore was the only proximate answer to the mindshrieker, but I couldn't risk taking lethal.

I don't think you were going to win that one anyways from mindshrieker activations, but I had to get lucky for that to happen. In retrospect, I suppose the play was to staff the wayfinder and try to get me to block with lumberknot?

m2g2

Thank you tumble side of rough // tumble :cool:

This played very much like a normal control vs. aggro matchup, except my wrath was a 6 mana hurricane :rolleyes:

m3g1

Yeah, this one was crazy. You probably should have mulled down with me, but it worked out the way it did. The hand I ended up keeping btw was:

So basically, great, and I knew I had a shot when I saw that evoked mulldrifter. My early draws matched up very well against yours (drew that rec sage, you drew galv. juggernaut), and you had that slower hand. Than I was able to cast stroke to bring myself up to card parity, which was key, because I was badly falling behind at that point, as you had spellbombed a dude on my board and added the riftwatcher to yours.

Despite my nice early sequencing, we were looking at a repeat of game m1g1, where my good early plays get buried under by card advantage.

I did have an interesting decision here, which could have decided the game very differently.

Screenshot_18.png

I kind of wanted to just stroke, but was keeping psy blast up, just in case. First there was your aven riftwatcher that I kind of wanted to psy blast, but waited, and than was tempted to psy blast this ninja. That was pretty tempting because I knew you had no other ninjas in the deck, and I figured this was going to end up being a card advantage slug fest.

I ended up not doing it, because I figured I had to save the blast for some critical (flying) threat, and figured it would be better to just save it and stroke EOT.

Than, sure enough, on your second main, you bring down

I know you've not gotten to use this guy in the environment, but he is a house, and in this spot would have made life very difficult for me as a large evasive threat blinking that riftwatcher. I probably would have been squeezed out of the game here if I had used my answer earlier.

As it was, I EOT stroked into all gas, untapped and killed it, but things could have played out very differently if I had used my removal earlier, or if you had been able to protect galepowder with emerge unscathed.

btw, I thought this play was great from you, and I think you still could have sneaked through a win because of it

Screenshot_19.png

He had just used emerge unscathed to trade with a civic wayfinder, and on the rebound gave the bolstered ninja proc green. Attacking in, he gets to tap a golem, which now means that the favorable block of splicer + golem on the ninja no longer exists, and if I just chump, he can repeat the play next turn, except its even better. Eventually he would just sort of end up pulling ahead on cards, while the scaleguard protects his life total.

If I take four, I drop down to 10, he draws a card, and my hand is so bad I probably want to flashback deep analysis. This puts me at a precarious life total, though he can't repeat the attack next turn.

I end up just taking it, as that seemed less bad, but that you dropped a mindshrieker on your second main, which means I can now still lose if you untap with it.

Fortunately, I top decked that volt charge, and was just able to keep pace with your threats, until:

Screenshot_20.png

ugh, the insect of doom. Despite working so hard to win this game, I am now back to the point where there are draw sequences where I can lose. We are in a racing situation, and you get to shut down a critical attack, while piling in at me through the air.

Thankfully, my hand was capable of racing. Mina and Denn come down with codex shredder, and I cross my fingers hoping for the best.

Than you cast moltensteel dragon :eek:

I feel like I threaded a needle here, as I was able to codex shredder back the harvest pyr to blow up the dragon, and had just beefy enough threats to win the race. Very close and exciting game though.

This card is great, and with the slightly slower format, really felt like a dark confidant. This is probably the best enabler for the spell velocity deck.

I just faced someone in a OOB draft with this; they drew an extra 4 cards over 5 turns (and didn't even cast the Jori as their first spell to trigger it). It seems *really* fun in formats where it has a relevant body.

were good, but felt much more reasonable than I had anticipated. I hadn't really wrapped my head around how to use them, and wasn't really playing them optimally: I would play them and forget about running out the second land, or that I could use them to bounce scry lands. I was really focused on their interactions on turns where bouncelands came into play, and the deck was light on those; I ended up missing how good they are at enabling grindy plays.

Interesting to here that about M&D. Card complexity/over-interactivity is something that could really matter for people with newer players. huh. Do you see it being a lasting issue, or just because of the newness?

I third Jori En. I have her as a EDH commander! She is an extremely strong incentive for low curve spell decks, and all in all happy she was printed.

Very nice little analysis! I always like seeing little interactions and how they can change courses of entire games :D

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
I think its ok, even desirable, and they really remind me a lot of quirion ranger in that regard. They appear to be very straightforward and easy to understand, as a 4/4 body that grants trample, but the more you play with them, the more you realize how deep they are.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
m2g1

First, I want to say that you played very well around lumberknot, letting mindshrieker come over and passing the heavy lifting over to your air force. I feel like you had this game in the bag, with this being the decisive sequence.

Screenshot_16.png

At this point, I have a pretty nightmarish minefield to navigate; you're about to knock me down to 10, and if I get hit on the rebound I will surely die to mindshrieker activations. In addition you have staff up, which can be used to either save a threat, or force through a blocker.

On your next turn, we have this whole sequence, which I'm still not sure of.

Screenshot_17.png

I'm tapping for volt charge, and this is basically the entire game. You could voyaging staff the hero in response to my eminent volt charge, hold the staff back and go with a protect the queen strategy with your mindshrieker, or go all in, let the hero die, than staff the civic wayfinder, and crush in with the shrieker, and the rest of the board. That puts me in a spot where I am facing potential lethal, and could result in me blocking with lumberknot (which will win me the game given enough time).

I think your line was fine, but you should have been more aggressive, I think, with activating mindshrieker, and maybe you were a little overly focused on the lumberknot? Because you ended up holding back the staff, and just attacking for 1 with mindshrieker (which I was relieved about). With my deck being a rampy control deck, you had a reasonable chance of killing me or putting me to critically low life totals on the spot, and indeed you would have hit mina and denn has you activated, dropping me to at least 6. I don't think I would have even bothered with the ninja.

As it was, I still needed to get lucky on you hitting three lands in a row, because that somnophore was the only proximate answer to the mindshrieker, but I couldn't risk taking lethal.

I don't think you were going to win that one anyways from mindshrieker activations, but I had to get lucky for that to happen. In retrospect, I suppose the play was to staff the wayfinder and try to get me to block with lumberknot?

I didn't mean to just attack for one. I was going to ninja then replay shrieker and keep up staff. Having an extra threat on the board could have been relevant. Plus I forgot to mill with the shrieker at the end of that turn as well. I got flustered from the one mis-click and I think it cost me big time.

Another cool interaction I did that hadn't beened mentioned yet was I used a scryland to see a sensor splicer on top of my library, so nex turn before I drew I mindshriker'ed it to get +5/+5 and beat in. Scry lands are so good.