General Land Storm

Last edited:
storm needs big mana! there are some delightful ways to blend 'big mana' and 'your manabase'. long long time ago grilloparlante innovated on ravnica karoos + untap effects to not only reach parity on mana in:mana out but actually generate even more mana, also. in my own cube i do some of this untap stuff in storm by allowing a little bit of, like, 'you can pay to untap your Tolarian Academy, making UUUUUUUUUUUU[...]'.....

So! What's at the nexus of artifacts, untapping lands, value guys who are also mana sinks once you've Done The Thing, and storm enablers+payoffs? Maybe a little niche, but I was very impressed with my MTG Arena testing of........drum roll please.......

A few payoffs for dumping lands into the graveyard, some fun ways to bounce back from sacrificing your lands (OK, you could use Splendid Reclamation as your "these lands are now in play" card, but Planar Birth offers a swerve into White for cards like Land Tax), and another way of turning your lands into extra mana.

Part of me really likes the idea of storming off by playing Squandered Resources, sacrificing all of your lands, Natural Balancing to tutor out five lands (representing ten mana), then Planar Birthing into *even more lands*. Abzan Lands, anyone? :p

Part of me really likes the idea of storming off by playing Squandered Resources, sacrificing all of your lands, Natural Balancing to tutor out five lands (representing ten mana), then Planar Birthing into *even more lands*. Abzan Lands, anyone?
That’s the plan with this thread! Non-Blue lands combo. Forgot Natural Balance existed, sweet tech!

After making the rest of the post, I'm realizing this is more of a lands combo in general, but it's still cool. I think old High Tide lists could work to find some modern alternatives and maybe Heartbeat of Spring (in a weird Kamigawa era) come to mind as well as Balancing Tings or sacland storm decks from extended.
_____

Is there something to like

or other Landfall triggers? It's probably a natural overlap that you'd want either way.

Other doublers are probably better, but this was the deck.

etc

Keep the cards flowing?

Crucible Strip/Waste? Glacial Chasm?

There's probably some sort of GBx graveyard explore map token deck that looks to hit a Crucible effect and utilize the yard through that.

Some useful payoffs can be good X spells like Green Sun's ___ or cards with various forms of Kicker like Overload, Prototype, Adventures.

One of my favorite cards of recent years is Nissa, Resurgent Animist.

It is a slow/more fair Lotus Cobra. But it has so much more. It makes the players think about drafting Elves and Elemental and to include a few in their deck. But not too many so the tutor becomes unreliable. It’s also very interesting in the games because you have to bet on the colors of mana you need before you get the creature.

Can also tutor stuff like Eyeblight's Ending and Hoofprints of the Stag.

Last edited:

Dom Harvey

Contributor
One axis (Squandered Resources/Splendid Rec too!)

Hopefully MH3 will bring the Gravestorm cards everybody wants!

The untap lands idea has a long pedigree, not just in the Heartbeat/Mana Flare decks but the Lotus Field decks of today and the old-school Medallion and Cradle/Academy combo decks:

And of course the best literal Land Storm card in Chatterstorm and Awaken the Woods (Unknown event playtest card - 1G, Make a 1/1 Forest Squirrel token, Storm)

I think old High Tide lists could work to find some modern alternatives and maybe Heartbeat of Spring
Yes! More mana!

One axis (Squandered Resources/Splendid Rec too!)
I was looking forward to seeing The Gitrog Monster mentioned. I think you are into convoluted combos Dom, does Dakmor Salvage and the Frog do anything for you?

Wanted to shoutout as other Splendid Reclamation effects.

I am seeing some great engines that create a lot of mana and a lot of landfall triggers. How do we win though? Landfall?

Lands in GY?

Pertition to rename it Land Hurricane as to not confuse it with storm which is casting spells
I think you mean...

download.jpeg-19.jpg

(Don't watch it)

We've already hit most of the good ones, but it's really hard to beat Khalni Heart Expedition for sheer rate:

And it's cousin Zektar Shrine Expedition is a fun aggro cross-pollinator:

Don't both with the other expeditions.

Other fun toys:

W7--that 0 is spicy, and there's a lot of crossover between lands and graveyard themes.

Nissa is shockingly real. I played a game a while back where, in a relatively low-midpowered cube, I managed to use the landfall to "ult" two turns in a row and keep her around to hit the third a couple turns later.

Maja--usually you don't need a clunky engine to win, but this card will do the trick.

Q&A--we know him, we love him.

Harrow--look, basic lands aren't sexy, but if you can't do anything with lands in the graveyard why are you in this archetype?

Last edited:
I feel like Tectonic Reformation shenanigans belong in a different shell? Or, rather, we've got, like, four different semi-overlapping shells going on here.

We've got (and I'm probably missing something):

1. Sacrifice lands to generate tons of mana.
2. Land reanimator (for lack of a better term).
3. Landfall with stuff that slams extra lands onto the battlefield.
4. Discarding lands for value.

They all work together (#1 and #4 lead into #2, which #3 acts as a payoff for), but it kinda feels over-engineered? Like, it's getting to the point where fitting this in would basically amount to having a Land Combo cube (which honestly sounds pretty fun, so...)

I feel like Tectonic Reformation shenanigans belong in a different shell? Or, rather, we've got, like, four different semi-overlapping shells going on here.

We've got (and I'm probably missing something):

1. Sacrifice lands to generate tons of mana.
2. Land reanimator (for lack of a better term).
3. Landfall with stuff that slams extra lands onto the battlefield.
4. Discarding lands for value.

They all work together (#1 and #4 lead into #2, which #3 acts as a payoff for), but it kinda feels over-engineered? Like, it's getting to the point where fitting this in would basically amount to having a Land Combo cube (which honestly sounds pretty fun, so...)
Some of my favorite cube archetypes work this way (loose collections of different verbs with a broad overarching theme)! I think landfall triggers and Awaken the Woods are the only win conditions that have been posted for the deck, though. What about some old tech?

and some more landfall triggers:

and some good old-fashioned mana sinks:

My recap after all the great ideas and suggestions so far.

For a combo deck to function, it usually needs to be able to generate a lot of mana. We can do this 4 ways with lands (cards listed as examples, not full list)

1. Untappers + big mana producers

2. Sacrifice

3. Landfall

4. Discard

The lands + untappers is a little isolated compared to the other 3. You don't need to fiddle with the GY or recur anything, you just make a lot of mana.
The others are interesting and will all benefit from land recursion and extra land drops.

As for win conditions, the best ones are probably these alongside land recursion spells

Like, it's getting to the point where fitting this in would basically amount to having a Land Combo cube (which honestly sounds pretty fun, so...)
100%! I feel a need to flesh out a card list!