Sets (LCI & REX) Lost Caverns of Ixalan and Jurassic Park spoilers

Ixalan is coming out in a couple of months, and they've previewed a couple of cards for stores to use in their advertising campaigns:
F6p_aCdawAAdtZD.png
F6qAosRaoAAZd9K.png

F6qBXtebkAAAW-i.png
F6qCZpmbkAA455O.png

There's a nice expensive reprint, some Timmy cards, and a reasonable win-more reanimator target. But that's not the most exciting thing spoiled today. Actually, the coolest card from today is this:
F6qDrCxbYAAOZ27.png

Welcome To... Jurassic Park is in the running for the single most flavorful card design of all time. It does a really good job of telling the story of the book/film in the space allowed on the card and has killer art to boot. Giving your Dinosaurs escape is genius. The card is also just good! This card easily showcases the promise of Universes Beyond in a way no other card has done so far.

I'm very excited for this set. I hope the rest of the main set has some powerful cards to use as opposed to the Timmy stuff, but Welcome to Jurassic Park shows promise for the bonus sheet.

I'm so mad at myself for loving all these dinosaurs...

New Ghalta is a tier 2 reanimation target for sure but gets me so excited. I may have to boot worthier cards for my third version of him.

Kind of sad the Ian Malcom card is not very good and hard to grasp on first read, but my cube is still pretty not-silly so I think he'd be over the edge for me anyways.

Welcome to... Jurassic Park is unbelievably cool, and almost gets there on power level. I just want all the dinosaurs in my graveyard to be able to escape!!

Screen Shot 2023-09-22 at 10.24.06 PM.png

I hate this dinosaur in the movies for a million reasons, but Indominus Rex is...a neat card. I love hybrid mana costs like this from a playability POV, even if it's a mess conceptually, and the ability is a fun mini-build around that can net you cards pretty easily in my cube. Would be more than happy with this as my Sultai card.

Not really a huge fan of this particular style of UB card. Had a similar feeling with the Doctor Who cards where they all feel like they're designed around being "clever" with representing the flavor rather than just being coherent game pieces that someone would reasonably design in a vacuum. This card feels like it's grabbing me by the lapels and yelling "Do you get it??? It's like the movie!" Feel like I enjoyed a lot more of the LOTR cards since they were designed for a draft environment and therefore a lot of them needed to be just, Magic cards that do stuff.

To each their own though, I can see how this kind of thing can be fun with the right mindset. I'm also the card complexity hater so a double-sided saga is an immediate hard sell for me haha.

View attachment 8812

Tasty, tasty full-art lands. The rest of the set can be whatever, I know I'll be scooping these up. Paging @MilesOfficial, fellow basic land connoisseur.
Honestly I lost my mind when I saw these. How could they have possibly skipped over these in the preview panel? That Plains is an all-timer, and the forest isn't half-bad either. I adore the MesoAmerican styling on the mana symbols too, these are real neat.

Woah! Indominus is sweet! 6/6 for 5 and you can discard something playable like a Vampire Nighthawk to make a crazy dinosaur and draw 3 cards or go totally nuts and pitch a Zetalpa to draw 5. Or pitch both to draw 7!

Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of ability counters. I am, sadly, a fan of these "keyword soup tribal" cards like Indominus and Kathril.

"Escape" on the Jurassic Park card is fun.

Welcome to... Jurassic Park is unbelievably cool, and almost gets there on power level. I just want all the dinosaurs in my graveyard to be able to escape!!

View attachment 8811
Indominus Rex is...a neat card. ...the ability is a fun mini-build around that can net you cards pretty easily in my cube. Would be more than happy with this as my Sultai card.
Agreed on both. I don't have enough dinosaurs for the 1st one but the card's design is really cool; I lol'd.

Likely will finally replace Tasigur, the Golden Banana w/this beater and I bet he will show up in drafts.

Screen Shot 2023-09-23 at 10.19.13 PM.png

Just like his dad, he gets spoiled with a new artifact trinket token that's not explained on the card.

I'm gonna include him pretty much no matter what map tokens do, seems good. Not terribly motivated by my current Selesnya section, and I'd not be terribly embarrassed to run just the white half of this card. I actually would prefer to keep my number of trinkets low (and this is a nonbo with Academy Manufactor) but I'm hoping/guessing we'll get a big enough volume of cool map cards to make me change my mind / take Blood's place.

Looking for basic effects, maybe maps get you a basic land from the deck? Like Traveler's Amulet? If so, that could lead to another draft environment where you could easily go ham with colors.

Also, does Kellan here mean, that we get advetures in Ixalan too? Would certainly make sense for the world and they've said, that they want to try and find more mechanics that can be in multiple sets.

Maybe it'll be some way of looking at your top X cards and revealing a land to put it in your hand? Having a ton of travellers amulets does sound like it'll lead to lots of 3+ color piles