Sets (LCI & REX) Lost Caverns of Ixalan and Jurassic Park spoilers

Imo splitting the game is a really bad idea long term. I’m pretty sure Arena is part of the reason paper Magic is still popular and vice versa, plus there is value in being able to cross-reference data (e.g. deck lists). Neither would be as strong without the other.
I do not know, there are pros for keeping it the same and cons since one can do a lot more online. All I know from my experience with the commander decks of brothers war is that the game has become really complex and that boardstate errors/reading errors are made more often than not. This is all due to needlessly complex cards. All those type of counters which are only used sparingly is not helping with that.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I do not know, there are pros for keeping it the same and cons since one can do a lot more online. All I know from my experience with the commander decks of brothers war is that the game has become really complex and that boardstate errors/reading errors are made more often than not. This is all due to needlessly complex cards. All those type of counters which are only used sparingly is not helping with that.
Yeah, I don't disagree with that point! It's just that offline and online have separate advantages (and disadvantages) that means they both are valuable for the game. Arena means you can now play anywhere at any time you want, which both means it's far easier to get a game in than back in the day, and there's a far greater volume of games, meaning decks evolve at a more rapid pace, and to a more refined state. [As an aside, this also (likely) means that the old release schedule wouldn't work in today's world, because the meta grows stale much more quickly if you have to wait 3-4 months before the next set rolls around while playing that many games.] Because it's so easy to jump in, I suspect that Arena is responsible for both attracting a lot of new players, and for retaining players with busy schedules that wouldn't otherwise stay with the game.

On the other hand, no amount of online play can replace that feeling of getting to meet friends in the flesh. The banter, the drinks, the general atmosphere of a real life game is irreplaceable. Despite the complaints from Arena aficionados about unhygienic players you see online, the camaraderie is probably what's driving most people here to stay invested in the game. Good game mechanics alone do not a compelling game make, the audience is equally important!

In short, both online and offline play drive player engagement and player retention in different ways. Keeping Magic the same online and offline is probably instrumental to keeping both healthy.