General "Looking for a card"-Thread

These are some sweet suggestions!
I've also remembered this one:

Looks sweet too.

I'll have to see which I can integrate in my july-update.

These are some sweet suggestions!
I've also remembered this one:

Looks sweet too.

I have been cubing Gargantua for a while. It has been very solid. It provides graveyars value for aggressive and midrange decks alike. The unearth is fairly costed and the 5 power was often relevant.

I don't think that Ravnic's account was hacked, I think that the new user (bot?) just inserted the link into the quote text. The original post is unchanged.

And someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe Stoneforge Mystic is like Demonic Tutor in the way that it scales with its environment and is somewhat fair always.
No it is not. Yes, it scales but no it is not fair. It is also a cheat card. Any expensive equipment with living weapon/for mirrodin/etb equip or cheap equip likes to be cheated into play. That is why batterskull together with the mystic was nasty.

The tutor and cheat is what makes it really strong and not scalable, unless you avoid expensive equipment.

Most cheat cards do not tutor for their targets for a reason.

i played UWx legacy stoneblade for years and feel like I can say a few authoritative things about stoneforge/batterskull together. even by the mid 2010's in legacy 'cheating out a batterskull' was not very good; you tutored for batterskull in matchups where the ability to 'gate' the equipment (and then return it to play with stack trickery) was about as important as the 4/4 lifelinker was. against creature decks I definitely preferred Jitte, to present an on-board lock, not for the 'skull to sit around vigilantly blocking and gaining life.

i won't lie to anyone that stoneforge mystic is an unplayable threat, that it isn't strong to tutor and uncounterably-put-into-play pieces of a toolbox, no matter what that toolbox is. stoneforge mystic that tutored for a sorcery and let you cast it for free would be breaking "too many rules" of the game engine. But I think that even if SFM is the strongest threat in your cube at that price point (two mana creature from whom you get more value if you can untap with it), and even if the uncounterability or tutoring are relevant and meaningful in your format, the card is so iconic, so toolbox-y, so fun to draft, that even with the uncounterable turn 3 Dragonwing Glider or Batterskull play available, the card is so repeatably fun and decision-rich to play with...that I agree with blacksmithy above: let it do the obviously kind of busted thing as well as all the not-so-obvious busted ways it still gets to flirt with the game engine (which Rusje points out).

Looking for a website

Where do you guys and gals watch spoilers for new sets?

Personally I only use MTG Salvation.

Clearly you need to include a squadron pick of

as an alternate payoff for topdeck manipulation. :p

---

As for actual manipulation, may I suggest

?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Considering if this is good for the deck:

It costs 2 and unlike Scry>1 effects it only lets you manipulate exactly the card at the top, meaning that you have to use it the same turn as a cascade card. So, you need 7 mana for dropping a extra 2/1 and improving your Noise Marine hit and at that point, is it really helping that much?

Last edited: