General "Looking for a card"-Thread

@Sheltem Not really. It seems kinda mediocre. Am I undervaluing it?

@BlacI figured that was the sweet spot for a ramp/reanimator target that can still be cast by control/midrange decks most of the games. Most 6-drops feel like they are either too good or not good enough when reanimated for four mana.

And how annoying is this guy when you've already drawn the card?

Pentavus is middling but it's stronger than it looks. First, it can fog creatures for 2 mana. Second, if you are ahead, it's very hard to get rid of as it can turn itself into many smaller creatures.

It's certainly a creature from an older era of design, for better and worse.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
And how annoying is this guy when you've already drawn the card?

You can still cast it for free if you've already drawn the card. As long as you pair it with something with mv >2, it's still worth it if you've already drawn the card. It's pretty legit at a lower-middling power level, I think. Also allows you to cast a completely off color card, for what it's worth. Fun if you can tutor it up with stuff like Treasure Mage or Fierce Empath (or Tinker if you dare trying to make that card fair...)!

Is this for an artifact renanimation package? Either way I don't see the need to be providing control decks with colorless options. They are usually middling for control decks at the end of the day. I would focus on reanimator, especially if there's any way for artifacts to matter, and look to 8 or 9+ CMC.

Last edited:
Is this for an artifact renanimation package? Either way I don't see the need to be providing control decks with colorless options. They are usually middling for control decks at the end of the day. I would focus on reanimator, especially if there's any way for artifacts to matter, and look to 8 or 9+ CMC.
agree, if you’re gonna be doing shops and reanimator type decks, they need to be unfair to be worth playing

Given the composition of my cube, can you recommend me cards for the Izzet and Azorious slots that aren't these four cards and, ideally, that don't cost 3 mana?

Reactions: dbs

And maybe reevaluate if restricting the 3 slot is actually important, because that slot opens up a ton more possibilities.
The issue is that every card I want to add costs 3. And that's already the case in blue and, to a lesser degree, white. So I run into the issue of having too many 3-drops in the cube.

So far I should try Expansion // Explosion. Is Faithful mending actually good? It's much worse thanFaithless Looting.

Reactions: dbs
Finding cuts from the 3 slot in the monocolor sections is quite a bit easier than from the multi. If a multicolor spell at 3 is perfect as a signpost or archetype anchor etc., it should be included.

Mending is not "much" worse, because it's an instant, gains up to 4 life, and is in colors that flooting isn't, so it's hard to compare. It's pretty decent. About what you expect/want from card selection spell.

Yeah Ojutai's Command is legit. Gets the Soulherder back from among the current UW selections listed, besides the ones mentioned by inscho and many beyond that.