Card/Deck Low-High-Power One-Drops

CML

Contributor
VMA and M15 got me to thinking what a lower-power format with a lot of one-drops would look like, since traditionally the weaker formats have been slower and it's great fun when not every card is all that great and the game of Magic begins on turn 1 ... anyway, here's a list of the 1's I'd love to run if I were working on such a cube and didn't want to wade through 600+ 1-drop dudes throughout magic history!

Notes:
-VMA has a real problem with the black 1's (Carnophage and Sarcomancy) being terrible not because they're weak in the abstract (though they're not that great) but because of Beetleback Chief and Battle Screech. In general token makers should be raised a level of rarity, even Raise the Alarm is a nuts common in M15. This leads me to believe many of these weaker 1-drops are context-dependent based on the format.
-Some of these are probably too narrow to be interesting much anywhere, but who knows.
-The stronger 1-drops are probably fine to run in weaker Cubes too, Elvish Mystic isn't exactly setting the world on fire in M15, for example, and Wild Nacatl wasn't a first pick in SCR.

Anyway!

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor

You're probably aware of these, but might as well be complete. I've always wanted to see basking rootwalla pushed in a cube environment.

Reactions: CML

CML

Contributor
right, some of those are A-listers even!

the thing that makes basking rootwalla enticing to me is that you might not need to push it in a Cube. for themeless design this makes it potentially delightful fit for, if not my cube, then many others!