Card/Deck Low Power Card Spotlight

Heartbeat of Spring/Mana Flare feel like almost pure combo cards to me. Either playing them the turn you combo off or the turn before daring your opponent to beat you in one turn or lose.

One non-combo build this might be viable in is something discard heavy. If your opponent has nothing to play, it matters less that they have a million mana. Still feels dicey though since an Emrakul top deck still probably just wins.

These are cards I don't think are cube friendly. I have them in my retro list but have no confidence they are actually draftable outside storm (and even that deck just feels really ambitious most of the time).

I'm an old person who got into the game at the start of modern who reminisces about a version of the game that I didn't even really play. And this is largely because I was shown the game by people who played during Alpha so I saw how the game used to play while I was pulling new packs and marveling at how much crappier my spells.

I honestly don't think the most powerful creatures were all that much better during Ravnica time frame than the best creatures from the past (not talking average creature quality). What made Ravnica in particular amazing was the average quality of it's commons and uncommons compared to previous sets.

And while Kamigawa Dragons might have been the gold standard for finishers, cards like Silvos, Rogue Elemental didn't look stupid next to them. And things like Hypnotic Specter and Flametongue Kavu were still some of the most powerful creatures in the game. IMO, the sets around Ravnica simply brought some needed depth to creatures. It didn't change change the base value of creatures. It simply lopped off the chaff at the bottom - cards which had always been simply unplayable.

Creatures didn't get stupid until Lorwyn and after. Lorwyn literally changed everything about the game.

I've been enjoying these history introspective we've been having lately. I played for like a month as a young person during Lorwyn, and then came back during Return to Ravnica, so I'm pretty imbued into the modern relation between spells and creatures and the etb-paradigm.

edit: I played red goblins in lorwyn! I just remembered when I look through the card gallery at mythicspoilers (they have a ton of older sets, to those who didn't know. great way to explore).

Y'all are nuts. I started playing in Revised (though there are large gaps here and there, aside from a handful of drafts), and even an old fogey like me can tell that the game is better than it's ever been, and a big part of that is NWO. Mainly because the game finally plays the way I wanted it to play like 20+ years ago. The fact that creatures were such a joke and were considered for suckers was the reason that I quit for so long, because it just felt so wrong.

I've started "playing" in 1996, when MtG was a fever here in Brazil (USD was cheap). Fourth Edition, Ice Age and Homelands, terrible cards basically. I think the only card from that time that made it to my cube was 4th ed. Animate Dead. I was 8 at the time, and though I knew the rules roughly, I just really learned to play properly with Shandalar (1998). Until then, for some reason, I thought you could only attack with one creature each turn. Also thought colorless mana could pay for any color of mana, so An-Havva Township was op. That's what you get when nobody around you knows how to play and you have to learn by reading the Ice Age rules book. :(

Played a lot, always casually, during Odyssey/Onslaught (2001-02), then standard Kamigawa/Ravnica (2004-05). Went on and off the game a few times, always kept up with what was going on.

In 2010, some friends got interested but nobody had money, and I made my first cube with the cards I had lying around from all the time. Had heaps of fun with it.

Curiously, had my first non-cube draft only last year (no LGS/no group/couldn't afford drafting before that). My DCI has nothing but DTK, ORI and SOI prereleases. Still think cube is the best format.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
I started playing during Scars of Mirodin *ducks*

Well, lucky for you! This week only you can relive your glorious beginnings on MTGO, by drafting the epitome of draft formats: 3x SOM!

Where you can enjoy such treats as this deck (currently 1-0, waiting for round 2):
ophD1PA.png
(Why did I get myself into this mess :\)

EDIT: Just lost in round 2 to a bunch of UW flyers. Won the first game, then flooded out in G3.

I don't think any of the Scars block draft formats were "good" due to many insane 6 mana rare bombs and the problems that infect caused, but man, I loved it for some reason, especially Scars/Besieged.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Proliferate is near and dear to my heart, but infect was pretty miserable in limited. Depending on how many people were moving in on infect, either you destroyed the whole table or you couldn't get enough playables to make it work.