Card/Deck Low Power Card Spotlight

Just make sure to cut all the artifact destruction from your cube ;)
And all bounce and all exile and all graveyard removal.
It is a cute card, gives the opponent time to prepare but the feel bad when you discard the last card and it gets destroyed…

It is possible in a cube where you can add counters to it, can protect it, or even better if you have a lot of madness/flashback type of cards. Then the drawback becomes a gain and you do not have to worry about a blow out.

Has anyone ever tried that? Getting two lands into the graveyard by turn five doesn't seem difficult in a format ith some form of fetches and rummaging, and I run a lot of both. Also cycling lands. I don't think people will get this out on turn four often, but even later in the game, getting this and only paying three or four for it seems really good.

I end up wanting more on-theme red guys and cutting it, but it starts out in a lot of my lists. It looks really solid for what I perceive your power level to be. Your analysis of it seems solid. It's an easy 4-5 drop. The thing to consider is whether or not you want a generic flying, haste as a red 5.

So this is battle is really good in MOM draft. The front site is reminiscent of Disinformation Campaign but once you flip it the card is just pure bliss. 4 loyalty isn't too bad and copying something from the opponents graveyard + changing its stats just gives you a lot of novel interactions.
I think this card is good enough that I would hesitate to put it in the "low power" card spotlight. I think this card is fantastic!

Has anyone ever tried that? Getting two lands into the graveyard by turn five doesn't seem difficult in a format ith some form of fetches and rummaging, and I run a lot of both. Also cycling lands. I don't think people will get this out on turn four often, but even later in the game, getting this and only paying three or four for it seems really good.
I just realized that this guy is kinda neat with Wildfire effects too, Destructive Force included. Wipe the board, sac a bunch of lands and cast a hasty dragon with your two remaining lands for {R}{R}!

it was a top uncommon in its draft format and is very cool. i run it stapled to a 2/2 for 2, but i think it is a great "2spell" payoff if your cube is below standard power.

I'm a fan of it as a way to get Green into both spellslinger and artifacts while expending relatively little real estate. I'm not saying it's not clunky, but it's a worthwhile bit of clunk. It's also worth noting that it's best played as a 4-drop alongside a critter, so I'd mentally bump it up in CMC for curve considerations.

So. This guy. I like this guy.

1. It's a 1/3 for {1}{U}, which is pretty dang reasonable.
2. +1 to scrying is an interesting effect, especially since it's surprisingly simple to find ways to slip incidental scrying into your cube.
3. Sea monsters are cool, and you're encouraged to run more of them to support this guy. :p

More seriously, many sea monsters are pretty solid as low-power fatties — I wouldn't cry about it if I was ramping into Slinn Voda, the Rising Deep, for example.

But I wouldn't want him if "sea monsters" wasn't a somewhat supported theme.

I'm a fan of it as a way to get Green into both spellslinger and artifacts while expending relatively little real estate. I'm not saying it's not clunky, but it's a worthwhile bit of clunk. It's also worth noting that it's best played as a 4-drop alongside a critter, so I'd mentally bump it up in CMC for curve considerations.

Hmm. How many triggers would you want to get out of it to be happy about it? Two, three?

Context matters. If I have a Sarinth Steelseeker then even just one trigger can be backbreaking, but if it's just a generic value piece then the break-even is probably at 2.5 or whatever with 2 being tolerable and 3 being quite good. That is to say, it really matters whether your drafters pick it up as a synergy piece or as part of a value accrual strategy.

The most-cubed creatures that fit this category do not represent enough density in terms of cards I'd be happy to play with at this time...but I am desperate for that to change over time, and would dearly love to play Kenessos.

I'd love more "cheap" creatures (on a MV basis) that suit the "Leviathan" creature type, but that still represent the massive size one would expect - nay, demand - of the word.

This guy's a good example:

He's still not interesting enough to me though :wagg:

It's not just a freeze effect - it's two freeze effects, with the second one having an extra rider of discouraging attacks/tapping to use abilities for a turn. I'd give it a try.

It's not just a freeze effect - it's two freeze effects, with the second one having an extra rider of discouraging attacks/tapping to use abilities for a turn. I'd give it a try.
You are almost right. It is even more: it is a freeze+bounce with an extra rider to not tap before it hits 3. I think it is quite good since it ‘unsummons’ immediately. It loses a lot of power when the opponent has a lot of etb that one wants to bounce.