Card/Deck Low Power Card Spotlight

I'm having flashbacks to Creatureless Cover-Up in GRN draft.
Man that was a fun draft set.

Crossposting from CBS:

It's pretty funny with Necromancy, as you can turn the 3/3's into ETB or Dies triggers of anything else you've pitched/milled - can even be the same creature twice. That gets even better with a clone in the bin (I run a lot of those for Fish, not likely to happen in just any cube) as you go infinite. You also go infinite with any o-ring that can hit the big dragon in play (So no to Glass Casket, but yes to Journey to Nowhere or Fiend Hunter). It's also a combo that can be interacted with, as there's no haste on the tokens.

It's sick with Astral Slide too no I don't take feedback.

I've been cubing Booster Tutor for a long time now and it scales as much to an environment as any card could. But is this true as well for this monstrosity?

I'm a bit scared of the possibility to cast multiple cards with it. But maybe that doesn't matter since you have to get to six first and how much different is there really between a 6-drop and two 3-drops?

I think my favorite O-Ring to combo with it is Touch the Spirit Realm for that sweet, sweet Channel effect. Though the nastiest O-Ring has to be Parallax Wave...

@ravnic I think it depends a lot on both color pip density and the average mana cost of your cube. To test, I grabbed a random pack from the CCC:

WHITE (1)
Shepherd of the Flock

BLUE (1)
Omenspeaker

BLACK (1)
Okiba Gang Shinobi

RED (4)
Disintegrate
Battlefield Scavenger
Anger
Beetleback Chief

GREEN (3)
Experiment One
Beanstalk Giant
Ant Queen

COLORLESS (1)
Key to the City

GOLD (2)
Rakdos Guildmage
Nightveil Spectre

LAND (2)
Battlefield Forge
Prismatic Vista

Assuming that you cast this thing T6 and have already played out a land, I'm not sure that there's anything super broken you can do with that pile of cards for {c}{W}{U}{B}{R}{G}. Especially since 4 of those cards are straight-up unplayable if you've already played your land for turn, and 2 others would need you to Beanstalk Giant up an appropriate basic to play them (assuming that you actually have an appropriate basic, of course).

Last edited:
I've been cubing Booster Tutor for a long time now and it scales as much to an environment as any card could. But is this true as well for this monstrosity?

I'm a bit scared of the possibility to cast multiple cards with it. But maybe that doesn't matter since you have to get to six first and how much different is there really between a 6-drop and two 3-drops?
try it out, it's a fun one and you can control whats in the booster

How busted is a Timetwister you have to work for? Actually, how busted is even timetwister in a super fair lower powered environment with close to zero combo stuff?

pretty busted!

yup! Storm loves both but they're solid and powerful tools

I've heard this was bad in ONE, but unlike that format, my cube's full of tokens that can actually block. So, maybe this is good and a nice way to link white's token strategy with black's sacrifice theme even better?

I've heard this was bad in ONE, but unlike that format, my cube's full of tokens that can actually block. So, maybe this is good and a nice way to link white's token strategy with black's sacrifice theme even better?
i think it needs to either make a token itself or cost less mana or oil to draw. storytellers staff it aint

One mana to draw a card is pretty cheap. Repeatedly. There is only the down investment of 2 mana. But that also gives you a free scry every time one of your creatures die. Including tokens. There are many cards that create more than one creature on the battlefield.

Staff of the Storyteller is definitely the premiere version of this kind of effect but I want to shout out Chivalric Alliance again in this thread as good token support that does a similar thing to Norn's Wellspring. Your tokens may die when attacking, but you can hold up tricks or effects with the guise of wanting to get the attack trigger, so it behaves pretty similarly, and fuels itself too if you'd like!

I like Norn's Wellspring just fine and would've tried it out in my actual cube had those two cards not recently been printed, but it is what it is.

I think both, Staff and Alliance could be a little too much, especially since {W}/X tokens is already a super strong deck in my environment.

So if wellspring plays out in a similar way and is just a step behind these, it might be just right for the CCC.

Talking of 2-mana artifacts that geberate value when things die ...

This one is expensive, but I assume it's more because of some weird combos in constructed? It doesn't seem particularly high powered to me.

I've cast it once in retail. It put two counters on my Gingerbrute and exiled a Merfolk Coralsmith, which allowed me to turn my food golem into an unblockable 5/1 which was just enough to win the race. That was fun. I wouldn't mind repeating that experience in cube.

Also, if I were to proxy it, I would turn the order of it's abilities around. If you start reading it from the bottom it's much easier to understand :p

There's dozens of infinite combos with Agatha's Soul Cauldron in EDH, yeah. If you're running Spike Feeder already for any shenanigans or like making opportunities for dumb interactions, it's really strong and can go infinite nearly on accident.

I'm including it just as a value engine. There's no infinite combos available in my list with it (that I'm aware of) but it's a super neat card that also is incidental grave hate. My players love pieces like this that are mini engines, and while I agree with you that it'd be 10x easier to grok if the abilities were written in reverse order, I think it gets there anyways for cubes of pretty much any power level.

GG is less expensive and less of a menace in constructed these days, but what does that mean for a cube that hasn't that power creep going on and is still happy casting Rakdos Cackler, Jackal Pup or even just Flameblade Adept? Is the guide's drawback more of a thing in a cube where games usually don't end quite as quickly? Or is it crazy to consider this in a cube where this will almost always deal at least 4 to them and where 1-mana removal spells aren't abundant?

Last edited:

So I know that (black) three drops are always very contested but I am about to try this guy. His modality is really sweet, either adding fodder to your board, digging for a card or helping you get the last points of damage through. Probably a good fit for many low powered cubes.

I've considered charming butcher myself. Bloodmage is clearly stronger to me, it draws a card without sac fodder around, makes a better token and wrecks a gy based deck completely. But ratatouille is cooler.