reckless charge

rancor
moldervine cloak
become immense
berserk
briarhorn
boon satyr

was gonna add herald of torment but now that seems like a worse griffin guide

Eric's comments about sower of temptation over in the first pick thread have got me thinking about. I've been trying to find a control magic varient that doesn't feel horrible (I think the right answer is legacy's allure), but came across

Now, back in the day I wouldn't have touched this with a bargepole (but then I wasn't trying to create a fun, interactive environment for cube), but is this playable/any good/better?

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I tried Mind Control for a while, but it was still in the upper echelon of cards in my list, so now I'm using Confiscate, which is at the right power level I'm looking for in a Control Magic variant. At six mana, it's really only usable by control decks - and, realistically, only against slow opponents - but it fills a niche for blue without being oppressive.

At the moment, I'm pretty down on both clone effects and stealing effects, because they let blue do too much without putting in any of the legwork. I think they're still fun effects to run from time to time, but only at more the expensive slots, so that they don't dominate every game in which they come up.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
What about ?

It's slower and more fragile than Sower, and it has some overlap with +1/+1 counters.

This is a sweet design that came off kinda weak. Maybe there's some way to tweak it? Graft 3 is too much, probably. Maybe if it had evolve?

What if it had evolve, and you were always forced to graft onto your opponent's creatures. Then it's powerful, but sets up a minigame to remove it. The problem is, when it dies, your opponents gets all their guys back buffed... still, seems neat.

Fair enough. Cytoplast is not great without ways to protect it and ways to get more than one dude from it.

If you want other options, there's

Capped in power by the CMC clause. Probably better in tempo type decks that want to steal a 2 mana attacker or get rid of wall of omens or whatever. I've never played with this card, so can't say for sure where it's best.

There's also

Former rare cube staple that probably works in modern lower power metas. What is neat about this card is it offers some combo potential with bounce, but you have to work a little more for it. One thing I have always disliked about most control magic effects (Sower in particular) is you get the 2 for 1 straight away, and it's generally a really brutal 2 for 1 that against some decks has to be answered or the game ends. At least in the case of Drake, you have something to block with or punch them in the face with potentially.

Fair enough. Cytoplast is not great without ways to protect it and ways to get more than one dude from it.

If you want other options, there's

Capped in power by the CMC clause. Probably better in tempo type decks that want to steal a 2 mana attacker or get rid of wall of omens or whatever. I've never played with this card, so can't say for sure where it's best.

There's also

Former rare cube staple that probably works in modern lower power metas. What is neat about this card is it offers some combo potential with bounce, but you have to work a little more for it. One thing I have always disliked about most control magic effects (Sower in particular) is you get the 2 for 1 straight away, and it's generally a really brutal 2 for 1 that against some decks has to be answered or the game ends. At least in the case of Drake, you have something to block with or punch them in the face with potentially.

Gilded Drake and Sidisi's Faithful is the blue murder.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member

CoolMurray.png