Sets (LTR) The Lord of the Rings: Tales of Middle Earth

New leaks! I hyped myself up too much for these and found one marginal card out of the 18 shared so far, but it's neat:

img_1890.jpg

Big red spell with crazy variance? That sounds like an EDH card!

But no, actually - I think this is a pretty sweet payoff for big red decks, artifact decks, and spell decks. You need a pretty big cube to justify this one's inclusion but hey, I've got one of those!

They're part of these upcoming Scene packs, and will also be in the v2 of LotR Collector Boosters.

On second thought, I've actually found something I'm sure to include:
Screen Shot 2023-08-29 at 11.47.13 PM.png

Base rate isn't really that interesting, but at 5 mana for 2x 3/3s that also pump a significant amount of your green creatures is really not terrible, and would get me to finally live my best life by replacing one of my fiddly 2MV dorks with a beautiful Priest of Titania.

At 7 mana, getting 3 4/4s is solid, even if they do get smaller as your opponent picks them off. People like tribal, and this seems like a nice way to have a single-card archetype-generator that I'm coming to love a lot.

The 'Second spell' theme from Kaldheim, Strixhaven, Tales of Middle Earth and Wilds of Eldraine also got a new pay off enchantment.

galadrielsdismissal.jpg

Somewhat intrigued by this card as a modal protection and alpha-strike card, plus some defensive fog-like utility. Also somewhat relevant if some of you are still trying to enable stiflenaught.

galadrielsdismissal.jpg

Somewhat intrigued by this card as a modal protection and alpha-strike card, plus some defensive fog-like utility. Also somewhat relevant if some of you are still trying to enable stiflenaught.
The thing is, is that as you said this card does it all in one. It is strong.

Mana cost isn’t the only variable when calculating a card’s power level. There is also card text.
Would you like to expand on how those differences in card text would let you reason that Parallax Wave is better than Galadriel's Dismissal?

I have not reasoned that Parallax Wave is better than Galadrial’s Dismissal.

Let’s bring the full context

Person A: “Y is a worse version of X.”

Person B: “Y can be played for a quarter of the mana cost.”

Me: “But mana cost is not the only variant.”

So to iterate: Y can be cast for 1/4 of the cost but it doesn’t have 4/4 (100%) of the effect. So the fact that it has the option to be cheaper than X is not the only important variant. It is also important what the card does.

And again I am not saying one card is better than the other.

If you did not write in with the intent of supporting Erik Twice's assertion, then what purpose was it supposed to serve? Why did you feel the need to post it? I do not know how to parse the insinuation that I am somehow not aware that magic cards have different text boxes, and that I would find it valuable being told that they are an important part of evaluating power level, as anything but a serious insult to my intelligence.

I’m just answering your question. No need to feel insulted. I didn’t feel any ‘need’ to post anything.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I'm in for cards that do a bunch of things when any of those things on their own wouldn't really have been enough.
05 Legolas' squick reflexes.jpg
This thing...does a lot of things!
-Split Second protection spell
-Punch spell, but only when you're attacking? And only with nonvigilant creatures? (Prob fine)
-Surprise blocker (no pump) with reach

I feel like there's a world in which this card read "choose one" and as a result it was just a bit worse

Plus you've got the dream of casting this on...Godsire or something silly :p

New leaks! I hyped myself up too much for these and found one marginal card out of the 18 shared so far, but it's neat:

View attachment 8728

Big red spell with crazy variance? That sounds like an EDH card!

But no, actually - I think this is a pretty sweet payoff for big red decks, artifact decks, and spell decks. You need a pretty big cube to justify this one's inclusion but hey, I've got one of those!
I will give this one some thought! Funny--I actually picked this set up but I bought it for this inclusion instead.
1695498444568.png #Oof

And I also saw 1695498495099.png and maaaaybe 1695498625961.pngfor my Sauron EDH deck.

So, yeah, happy to pick this one up.

@ChrisTaylor, yes that one too. Hope it doesn't cost too much. I'd run it for sure.

I’m just answering your question. No need to feel insulted. I didn’t feel any ‘need’ to post anything.
Rest assured I have no intention of engaging further, but to clarify, the question was why you made this post, which would suggest I'd think otherwise, when I did in fact read both cards before I made the initial comment.

I'm in for cards that do a bunch of things when any of those things on their own wouldn't really have been enough.
I don't know, I feel like this does too many things that end up being kind of annoying in practice. Split Second is a pretty tedious mechanic, and a split second protection spell in itself might be fine (although I would personally not want to play it), but being able to also use it as a non-interactive removal spell as well puts it over the top for me. God forbid someone tries to remove your creature pre-combat and you do like a 2-for-1 that's +3 mana in tempo and almost impossible to counterplay.

also the name is cringe

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I don't know, I feel like this does too many things that end up being kind of annoying in practice. Split Second is a pretty tedious mechanic, and a split second protection spell in itself might be fine (although I would personally not want to play it), but being able to also use it as a non-interactive removal spell as well puts it over the top for me. God forbid someone tries to remove your creature pre-combat and you do like a 2-for-1 that's +3 mana in tempo and almost impossible to counterplay.

also the name is cringe
I feel ya, but a green removal spell that requires this much set up, I'm willing to give it a shot.
Big true on the name though.