Sets (LTR) The Lord of the Rings: Tales of Middle Earth

But do they have reminder text :p
Huh, would ward normally have reminder text here or has it passed into the realm flying sits in?

Ward is evergreen which means it is in every set unless there is a very good reason to leave it out and doesn’t need reminder text.

This set is full of amazing card. Almost every card that doesn't mention the rings temptation seems like a really nice design. I'm already considering 12+ cards for my cube! I thought I would never add Universe Beyond cards, but damn.

As for "the ring tempts you", it might actually be the okay-est mechanism with outside game components since the Monarch:
- It's easily trackable, similarly to an aura, by covering up all steps that haven't been reached yet (unlike dungeons)
- It doesn't (re)trigger until a card explicitely says so (the worst part of day/night)
- It prevents boardstalls, and incentivizes its user to attack (unlike monarch / the initiative)
- It has a lot of synergies with other themes and mechanisms!
Still not a mechanic I'll add, but it's certainly fine for what it is and probably great in limited.

I hope the price of singles will remain low...

Chris Taylor

Contributor
1686080655645.png
You do have to find explicitly creatures, but this is pretty easy to trigger, cheap and happens the turn you play it if you set it up right!

1686080708078.png
It's got the sword of X&Y cost of 3 to cast, 2 to equip, but it makes 2 spirits instead of protection and whatever fucked up damage trigger you feel like choosing.
IDK if I wanted sword but different, but if I did, I do like this in concept better than "oh crap I happen to be drafting Black Green and you happen to have that exact sword, and now my life is miserable"
I think a few years back I might have been really excited for something like this, but having played without big, 5 mana total equipment for a few years now, I'm not sure I miss it.

1686080920714.png
You remember how in All will be One there were a bunch of just below the curve staple effects with proliferate stapled on? There's a ton of cards in this set doing the exact same thing but with "Make a food" stapled on instead.
1686081122343.png
I have no idea if this is good, but it's cool :p

1686081155341.png
I kinda wish this also said planeswalker, but there aren't walkers in this set so I know why it doesn't.
And HO BOY do I understand the "once per turn" limit on triggers here :p

1686081234254.png
How willing are you to shave a mana off Banisher Priest?

All the Food cards in this set really have the gears turning in my brain. I’ve never really liked Lifegain as an archetype, but I have always loved artifact synergies, especially with random “junk” tokens. Maybe now there’s a density of enough effects to tie them together well?

Some Lifegain payoffs that come to mind:

Pieces for a nice White Weenie midrange engine centered around Rosie:

Artifacts, counters, tokens, and life! So much of what White generally wants to be doing, tied up into a neat little curve.

thebattleofbywater.jpg

this is a strange combination of effects (well, the flavor makes perfect sense with the name, but I mean to see on a Magic card)

but I could absolutely imagine decks that want it and it's a very good rate for what it does

thebattleofbywater.jpg

this is a strange combination of effects (well, the flavor makes perfect sense with the name, but I mean to see on a Magic card)

but I could absolutely imagine decks that want it and it's a very good rate for what it does
It is a great card in white weenie. Weenie gets foiled by control or big creatures. This solves the big creatures part by allowing white weenie to brake the symmetry and gain a lot of life/do something with a lot of tokens on the side. The sad part is that it does not do anything useful against control since control does not care about your life total.

A part of me really loves the Scry subtheme — it's a shame that one of the coolest payoffs¹ involves being tempted by the ring, but then you get sweet designs like:

(Elven Chorus is an Enchantment for {3}{G} that's Earthcraft + "you may cast creature spells off the top of your library". Arwen Undomiel is a 2/2 Elf Noble for {G}{U} that puts a +1/+1 counter on a creature whenever you scry and has "{4}{G}{U}: Scry 2")

Sadly, all of the other leaked payoffs in Green are just creatures that get bigger when you scry (there are three of them). I hope that there are some more creative payoffs down the line, even if it's just something like "whenever you scry, you gain X life, where X is the number of cards you looked at while scrying this way".

There's also this leaked payoff, which is pretty neat:

elrondmasterofhealing.jpg

¹ Since it won't show up until it's officially spoiled... Galadriel of Lothlorien is a 3/3 legendary Elf Noble for {1}{G}{U} that Scries 3 whenever you pick another creature as Ringbearer and lets you ramp a tapped land off the top of your library after you scry, which is absurd. I might have to sharpie out the trinket text at some point.

Some of these Commander leaks are pretty okay looking! (I'm not exactly an optimist.)

arwenweaverofhope.jpg

For anyone who wants green +1/+1 counter anthem effect, here you go, she even plays well with others.

fieldtestedfryingpan.jpg

Definitely too expensive for my high power level but I'm always a fan of equipment with the etb token+snapon. And it's a hell of a payoff when you do care about lifegain.

farmercotton.jpg

When you just want to generate a lot of cardboard I think this rate is actually... second best ever? (edit the card I forgot was Finale of Glory, in case you were wondering.) Pest Infestation gives X creatures for X also, but no Food and you can spend even numbers of mana on this. Obviously, you have to want the Food for something...

feastinghobbit.jpg

Proudfeet!

Last edited:
Some of these Commander leaks are pretty okay looking! (I'm not exactly an optimist.)

arwenweaverofhope.jpg

For anyone who wants green +1/+1 counter anthem effect, here you go, she even plays well with others.

fieldtestedfryingpan.jpg

Definitely too expensive for my high power level but I'm always a fan of equipment with the etb token+snapon. And it's a hell of a payoff when you do care about lifegain.

farmercotton.jpg

When you just want to generate a lot of cardboard I think this rate is actually... second best ever? (edit the card I forgot was Finale of Glory, in case you were wondering.) Pest Infestation gives X creatures for X also, but no Food and you can spend even numbers of mana on this. Obviously, you have to want the Food for something...

feastinghobbit.jpg

Proudfeet!
is this seriously a 5/5 for 1G + food?!?

Love that Farmer Cotton!

GW artifacts entering the battlefield is really starting to take off. When your food also adds power to the board, things get interesting.

I like that it's artifacts ETB meaning tokens trigger these. They mostly care about +1/+1 counters opening the door for payoffs like Ozolith, the Shattered Spire and using stuff like Norn's Inquistor to not only create artifacts but benefit from the counter payoffs.

I think Academy Manufactor is starting to look legit in some cubes!

Farmer Cotton is also a nice payoff for Earthcraft style deck giving you a mana sink and fodder at the same time.

Yep. It's a Commander card, so that's not too off-rate.
Yeah, I mostly put it in the post to make a Proudfeet! reference... but it's also a 5/5 for 1G+Food that is really hard to block.

It feels like it could realistically end up in some build of the Modern Asmo Cookbook deck, it's an insane rate if you're sure to have Food. (and half the time you have too much food if you're doing Ovalchase Daredevil shenanigans...)

It's from the Food-themed Commander deck, so Modern can breath a sigh of relief. :p
yeah I have been informed that the Commander decks are not Modern legal despite the real set being explicitly "not Standard legal but Modern legal"

like I knew it was from the Commander set I just had no idea that the Commander set was not also Modern legal (as a departure frrom the norm)

Elvish Mariner is pretty cool. Unfortunately, I don't think I can support it, even if I errataed it to trigger off surveil as well.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
1686173280277.png
Okay I love the flavor here, and while I'm a bit wary of the power level of "Control Magic + Monarch", that sounds dope :D

1686173377628.png
What if we just made SO MUCH CARDBOARD

1686173406662.png
Huh, this is a solid Omenspeaker.

1686173440140.png
Y'all wanted more lifegain payoffs, this might be interesting

1686173472424.png
I've gotten SO MUCH great gameplay out of Crippling Fear, that I might try this.
I love sweepers that you can play in a deck with creatures, and while occasionally your creatures overlap with your opponents and you need to shrug and name Antelope.
Maybe this is bad because it costs 5, but it also hits creatures of any size. IDK.

1686173826664.png
Is this thing good? Don't love that this has "secret not-reach", but this is a solid amount of flexible buff/debuff?

1686174176891.png
Nice! Okay so background, I've had this card in my cube for like 10+ years:

068 - Get Em Boys.jpg
And it's been EXCELLENT! Humans vs goblins is maybe relevant for you, and while I decided to give tokens haste because I've got a tokens theme in my cube, giving humans haste is probably a lot broader reaching.
TBH, the baseline of R1, two hasted tokens is a solid one, and this can definitely have value on top of that. Give it a shot!