General LuckyPaper Kaldheim Community Survey Results - See what the community thinks of Kaldheim!

Article here

The Kaldheim set prospective is out! We run this survey every set release, designed to assess what the Cube community thinks of new sets.

Did any results surprise you? I was surprised to see so much of the Community on Snow basics - I had always thought that was a relatively niche design choice. Also surprised to see so many people are interested in Valki!

Thanks to everyone here who filled out the survey! How do your thoughts compare with those of the community?

Article here

Dom Harvey

Contributor
I honestly think people are so used to Boros being a weak/shallow guild that it's hard to recognize a great Boros card when it comes along (more charitably, most Cubes are already glutted on CMC 4 curve-toppers for WR Aggro so the competition is tougher than it needs to be)

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
It is pretty much Escape to the Wilds, a card that got banned in standard.
But in a colour combination that needed it more
and in a colour that can help reuse is (Kor Skyfisher anyone)
and with a kick-ass stage 2 and 3 to help your creatures punch through.

Card is absolute gas and one of the better Boros cards in quite some time.

I honestly think people are so used to Boros being a weak/shallow guild that it's hard to recognize a great Boros card when it comes along (more charitably, most Cubes are already glutted on CMC 4 curve-toppers for WR Aggro so the competition is tougher than it needs to be)

I have come to the conclusion that Boros is not an aggro pair. Both mono-red and mono-white are very strong aggro options, but trying to combine them dilutes the strength of both. I think focusing your gold Boros cards to be more midrange/control oriented is a better use of your slots. I think Skalds works as a splash in an otherwise mono-colored deck, but is also huge for the Big Boros control decks as well.

Also not my experience. Boros has some excellent gold aggro signposts, and combining white weenies with the reach of haste and burn is a really nasty combination.

It probably has to do with how our mana bases are built - I have not usually run fetches, let alone double fetch/shock, so the mana requirements are more stringent. This is also true of more traditional cubes that have a lower as-fan of lands (which I suspect a good number of the people responding to this survey have). You can signal good aggro picks in your Boros section with stuff like Honored Crop-Captain and Heroic Reinforcements, but in general the decks that would run those cards would be better if they were mono-colored. I've found that you can signal good red or white aggro decks with cards like Goblin Chainwhirler and Benalish Marshal, and then use your actual Boros gold cards for more interesting stuff like Winota or Feather.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
It probably has to do with how our mana bases are built - I have not usually run fetches, let alone double fetch/shock, so the mana requirements are more stringent. This is also true of more traditional cubes that have a lower as-fan of lands (which I suspect a good number of the people responding to this survey have). You can signal good aggro picks in your Boros section with stuff like Honored Crop-Captain and Heroic Reinforcements, but in general the decks that would run those cards would be better if they were mono-colored. I've found that you can signal good red or white aggro decks with cards like Goblin Chainwhirler and Benalish Marshal, and then use your actual Boros gold cards for more interesting stuff like Winota or Feather.
"more interesting" is subjective, of course, but whether or not multicolor aggro is viable has a lot to do with mana bases, yes. If your mana base isn't aggro friendly, that definitely makes monocolor aggro decks more viable.

"Boros is not an aggro guild" is to me a completely vacuous statement, it doesn't make sense unless we're talking about a specific draft environment.

Ouch. Don't know if I've ever been called 'vacuous' before, though I suppose it's fair. Let me rephrase:

In my experience in the cubes that I have built, and the majority that I have played, any deck that would make use of a gold Boros card would be better suited to finding a way to cut one of the colors almost entirely. I don't like having cards that are rarely useful or traps in my cube. Therefore, I would use my Boros slots for decks that are more likely to appreciate them, such as midrange and Big Boros control decks (leaving aside that Big Boros control are some of my favorite decks to play).

Ouch. Don't know if I've ever been called 'vacuous' before, though I suppose it's fair. Let me rephrase:

To be clear, I meant that the statement was vacuous, not you ;) To me it was like stating "The french team is really bad", where there's some important context missing. I think I can agree with you somewhat that slower decks probably are going to enjoy gold cards more, although I'd stick to claiming that a cube that can't support multicolor aggro would require tweaking to fit my own taste.

In my experience in the cubes that I have built, and the majority that I have played, any deck that would make use of a gold Boros card would be better suited to finding a way to cut one of the colors almost entirely. I don't like having cards that are rarely useful or traps in my cube. Therefore, I would use my Boros slots for decks that are more likely to appreciate them, such as midrange and Big Boros control decks (leaving aside that Big Boros control are some of my favorite decks to play).
I agree with the idea that the best Boros gold cards tend to lend themselves to being more midrange and control-oriented instead of aggressive. The majority of Boros gold cards are either neutrally playable, such as Lightning Helix, or are best used in more controlling strategies, such as Ajani Vengeant. The best aggressive options for Boros are like Figure of Destiny and maybe Boros Charm (although I have found the charm to be rather unimpressive).

Boros as a combination of mono-colored sections tends to lean more aggressive. While there are some good big midrange creatures that slower decks can use, such as Angel of Sanctions, the majority of red and white cube cards tend to skew more aggressive. The cards which make slow Boros decks playable in constructed are narrow prison-style cards such as Blood Moon, Suppression Field, and Leyline of Sanctity are too narrow in their applications to be good in the vast majority of cubes. The bread and butter of cube Boros tends to be Savannah Lions ++ Variants, Pseudo-Card Advantage, and good burn.

I acknowledge that those options exist. I've tested most of them at one point or another. I came to the conclusion that most of them are traps. I tried desperately to make Feather work since that was one of my favorite constructed decks I've ever played, but the density of combat tricks she required for support were too parasitic (same deal with Hero of the Nyxborn). Same with both versions of Akiri and equipment. Boros Challenger, Tajic, and Skyknight Vanguard are examples of the types of cards that look like they'd be good in aggressive decks, but in practice tend to weaken the decks that would want them by encouraging more than one color. A splashable finisher like Heroic Reinforcements would be better for an aggro deck than a CD or 1CD card that needs to be cast on curve.

But again, your mileage likely varies. Your cube is both at a slightly lower power level than mine while having better fixing options available, so you're going to view things through a different lens.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
But again, your mileage likely varies. Your cube is both at a slightly lower power level than mine while having better fixing options available, so you're going to view things through a different lens.
I am actually about to increase my mana fixing options because the drafts done on my cube (I've been getting a few since it's featured) indicate that players are not ending up with enough lands :)

Another reason why mono color aggro is stronger in your cube is because you incentivize those decks with solid payoffs that almost require you to be one color, like Daxos and Benalish Marshal in white and Goblin Chainwhirler in red. Mind you, this is a valid strategy, because those 3 drops especially signal very well that you support mono color aggro in those colors. (Yes, this from the guy who recently wrote an article about reducing parasitism. No worries though, I am already planning a counterpart! ;) )

The above options are great depending on circumstances, but also solid are these two drops, all of which are not traps per my testing. The trainer requires an equipment theme obviously, but they all (and boros in general) benefit from that.

Rally the Peasants has to be my favorite boros aggro gold sign post, and as it is usually the last spell (or the two last spells) you cast, it is easily splashable either way.

That doesn't solve the problem if the fixing isn't good enough though. One thing that helps further are these lands:

They help all non monocolored aggro decks with hitting their one drop plays.

I have trouble with Boros as well because I find that the mono-colored versions of the gold cards are almost as good or interesting.

Honored Crop-Captain > Accorder Paladin
Swiftblade Vindicator -> Adorned Pouncer
Any 3 drop -> Legion Warboss, Phoenix of Ash, Silverblade Paladin or whatever.

There are exceptions like Feather, but that requires heavy support (which is fine, but fits into less decks).

This is why I love Figure of Destiny and Showdown of the Skalds. They bring something unique to the colors (scaling threat and draw).

A scaling 1-2 drop, a unique equipment, something with reach or card draw is what I would like for Boros.

Edit:
Some "Boros" cards I would enjoy seeing more of:

Reactions: dbs
I've long been of the opinion that gold cards dont need to be fantastically "interesting" or above curve compared to monocolored cards. They should show off exactly what you are supposed to be doing with the deck or provide a deck of those colors exactly the sort of tool the deck wants. Swiftblade vindicator for example fills those roles perfectly. It highlights that boros is aggressive, that equipment are being incentivized, and it provides a powerful way to punch damage past blockers with trample while keeping up a defense. Everything the deck would want while guiding drafting to that point. Thos is assuming you are building an equipment theme for boros in the first place of course.

Alesha is pure gas. Easy inclusion for me.

I agree with Sigh and would go even further. Imo gold cards should be allowed to be more narrow sometimes than monocolored ones, and I'll explain you why I am not joining the choir of "gold cards need to be super flexible, as they are already more narrow by nature".

Let's assume you arr supporting lifegain in white and black as a theme. Unless it is heavily centered in white, Ajani's Pridemate becomes effectively a gold card in drafting 95% of the time. Monocolored cards like that lead to drafting on rails quickly. The vamp lady here hasn't the same problem, as she is already a gold card. That makes her a much better signpost in that specific case. (In this example it helps that she also works with equipment, but that doesn't change my point)

These guys are another god example. I wouldn't want them in a mono red slot, as landfall is a theme so heavily centered in green in my cube, because then they still be a gruul card, just without signaling that gruul landfall is a thing.

I've long been of the opinion that gold cards dont need to be fantastically "interesting" or above curve compared to monocolored cards.

Here is where I am at. I'm not good at writing things eloquently so here are some points.
  • Multicolored cards are narrow
  • If they aren't better than monocolored cards I'd rather not play them and instead run more cards from either color
  • You can hint at what you want the color to do through density of effects in each color (maybe more suitable for more experienced drafters)
They should show off exactly what you are supposed to be doing with the deck or provide a deck of those colors exactly the sort of tool the deck wants.
I agree with this, IF the multicolored cards are worth it (my second point). Here is what it takes for me to consider adding a gold card
  • Random beaters? I feel they need to be exceptional to be worth a slot (Figure of Destiny as a scalable one drop)
  • Unique effect that helps the color pair's weakness (or Showdown of the Skalds as card draw)
  • Cool build around that you cannot get elsewhere or that spawns an archetype on it's own (Feather, the Redeemed)
One compelling argument I am ignoring is that the multicolored cards help guide your players through the draft. Depending on your playgroup this could be a big one. But you know your group better than anybody so adjust accordingly.
Another is that what I find to be an exciting build around might be different from you. So maybe the Swiftblade Vindicator is the nuts and I just see it as a random beater.
Hope this makes sense!

Dom Harvey

Contributor
That's part of why I've always been sceptical of Lightning Helix even though it was the best of a bad bunch for Boros cards for a long time - it's not better enough than whichever Incinerate, Searing Spear, Lightning Strike etc is next on the list to make up for how much more narrow it is