Article [M14] Archangel of Thune

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Chris, nice article. Although I wonder about the mainboard. Given we are interested in lifegain and have 8 mana dorks, might a few of these be useful?
Image.ashx

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I think she is the superior 5 mana lifegain angel. Much like CML implies in the article, Baneslayer Angel basically comes off as a bad joke. Simply pushing a beater by giving it 3 keywords on top of a solid body is boring, particularly on a high end card and PARTICULARLY in white that already gets strong high end cards. Archangel of Thune can do just as much work as Baneslayer Angel, but does so while supporting themes and requiring you to do a little work to get it. She has an automatic slot in my cube.

CML

Contributor
jason: good thinking!

haha i kinda like baneslayer now. she's not even really pushing it in cube, like as far as white 5's go it's certainly worse than reveillark and maybe worse than cloudgoat

Great review. I just wanted to point out you can 'go off' with kitchen finks and a sac outlet for infinite life and infinite power in modern or even cube.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I have a feeling that by the end of Magic's history Kitchen Finks will be in hundreds of infinite combos.

CML

Contributor
calvin -- yeah that and spike feeder by his lonesome. the article i linked to that end on the mothership wasn't particularly concerned about the combo's power level.

finks is a delightful p1p1 in my cube

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Holy crap, this card triggers on blocking, too...! :eek:

All this time I thought it was like Battlegrace Angel, where the special ability only worked on attack. I'd been wondering all along why we'd bothered to post a front page article on it.

I.. hmmm. Reading comprehension was never my strong suit. Carry on.

I think she is the superior 5 mana lifegain angel. Much like CML implies in the article, Baneslayer Angel basically comes off as a bad joke. Simply pushing a beater by giving it 3 keywords on top of a solid body is boring, particularly on a high end card and PARTICULARLY in white that already gets strong high end cards. Archangel of Thune can do just as much work as Baneslayer Angel, but does so while supporting themes and requiring you to do a little work to get it. She has an automatic slot in my cube.

This. I couldn't have said it better myself.

I don't run Baneslayer and never have.

CML

Contributor
I kinda like baneslayer these days, I've come around. This card has also resulted in hilarious turns with the blood artist

Swift justice has been doling out uh... justice... since RTR in my list, and I don't even have that many tricks.

The cache is one of the "here's a card that will table for control decks" pushes I made after watching one of my cube's first few drafts (along with the likes of condemn, wall of omens, smite, and other pals) and it's been well-received. People play it in midrange decks as a simple divination, or america-colored 'spells' decks for rebound value with gelectrode and pals.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Alright, I'm convinced. Slotting it in for my next list of changes.

Smite! That's genius! I like that it's similar to Condemn, but is a little more restrictive in forcing you to have a blocker. You are a well of good ideas, my good man.

I think I may have asked you this before, but - any chance we could peruse your full cube list?