Sets [M21] M21 Previews!

garruksuprising.jpg

"Garruk's Uprising" {2}{G}
Enchantment
When Garruk's Uprising enters the battlefield, if you control a creature with power 4 or greater, draw a card.
Creatures you control have trample.
When a creature with power 4 or greater enters the battlefield under your control, draw a card.
This seems like the best version of this effect. It draws you a card if you already have a big thing, buffs big things you've played before it, and gives you card advantage from your later big plays. I think this card is very good and possibly even cube worthy.

Also, can we just take a moment to appreciate the fact that Garruk is friends with Dinosaurs now?

I don't really know that it's considerably less "in your face" to put a dozen looters and a dozen Zombifys in the same draft. I don't feel particularly smart for sifting through some cards and paying 4-5 mana to return one to play. People know that's a deck unless they're extremely inexperienced. If they are badly inexperienced, this card explicitly teaches them about a new deck, which is great!

We're talking about a cleanly stitched together bad looter with a bad Zombify on it. It's basically a Charm. You're getting a worse rate for a more balanced card, and I think that can be very beneficial. Lower power cubes are going to be generally happy to have this and higher power cubes can't wait the extra turns. If you don't like it, you won't play it. You'll be fine without it. It doesn't do anything we haven't seen before, it just does the same old shit in a tighter package.

I'm not obsessed with the card, but I'm glad we have it.

This seems like the best version of this effect. It draws you a card if you already have a big thing, buffs big things you've played before it, and gives you card advantage from your later big plays. I think this card is very good and possibly even cube worthy.

Also, can we just take a moment to appreciate the fact that Garruk is friends with Dinosaurs now?

I still like Kiora, Behemoth Beckoner, but maybe that's because I just like the character because I played her deck a ton in DotP 2013 when I was getting back into Magic in a serious way.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
heartfireimmolator.jpg

Nice! This is a prowess creature I can get behind :D
Abbot of Keral Keep is alright, but it's just a bit too awkward for me to run a bunch of them.
This feels like the intersection of what I want from ALL of these cards:

And a few customs I have:
xMgFSSK.jpg
ygT3gmY.jpg

Also nobody's posted this adorable guy yet and even though he's probably not for any of us you need to see this:
conspicuoussnoop.jpg

Although I'm very busy at the time, I just came here to post that I find M21 unbelievably GREAT for cube designers! For a few years now, Wizards creates a lot of very well-balanced cards in the uncommon slot, desirable for a not-too-pushed limited environment, which could as well be a term used for one or another cube on riptidelab.com

and damn, this set isn't different. it has SO MANY interesting cards!

The cube I am trying to construct has Temur caring about elementals and ferocious. There is also a Temur reclamation deck. Lo' and behold.

Leafkin-Avenger-M21-265.webp

Does the card stand on its own legs roots, though? My environment isn't very powerful, but the power in gold on average seems higher than this cards power level. It can create a lot of mana in a board stall and mow down the opposition or just dome the opponent, especially with mana doubling effects like the aforementioned reclamation. Thoughts?

Nice! This is a prowess creature I can get behind :D
I am slamming the immolator.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
The cube I am trying to construct has Temur caring about elementals and ferocious. There is also a Temur reclamation deck. Lo' and behold.

Leafkin-Avenger-M21-265.webp

Does the card stand on its own legs roots, though? My environment isn't very powerful, but the power in gold on average seems higher than this cards power level. It can create a lot of mana in a board stall and mow down the opposition or just dome the opponent, especially with mana doubling effects like the aforementioned reclamation. Thoughts?

I was pretty happy with this one! Temur has elementals and ramp as themes, and this fits perfectly there. Just a bucket of damage!

Wow, in only 6 hours :D
Which happens to be how long that combo will take to resolve online.

I rather like that GR dude. If a 4/3 for 4 is respectable in your format, it's got some interesting abilities on top of it.

Lofty-Denial-M21-265.webp

I gotta say that I love the way they've been designing these flying cards. This is how you design a tribal card! It's not so bad as a two mana Force Spike, like, you're not happy but you can use it. If you're the flying deck, you get a Super Leak. Winged Words does it best as a baseline slightly poor draw spell and a payoff slightly strong draw spell. There's also Gust of Wind which is a liiiittle weak at baseline, but has the right idea. I hope they continue this kind of flexible "tribal" design.

Transmogrify-M21-265.webp

Could be fun if you wanna get a little wild!

Rambunctious-Mutt-M21-265.webp

This is too cute.

garrukunleashed.jpg

Legendary Planeswalker - Garruk {2}{G}{G}
[+1]: Up to 1 target creature gains +3/+3 and trample until end of turn.

[-2]: Create a 3/3 Beast creature token. Then if an opponent controls more creatures than you, put a loyalty counter on Garruk, Unchained.

[-7]: You get an emblem with "At the beginning of your end step, you may search your library for a creature card and put it on the battlefield, then shuffle your library."
Illus. Lie Setiawan[4]
Boooooring. If I wanted a card that pooped out beast tokens, I'd play Vivien, Monsters' Advocate or the original Garruk Wildspeaker. This card is very powerful, it even has decent decision points, it's just none of these choices play into the plan of any deck particularly well and don't lead to the best outcomes.

Fine/10, but not something I want to be running.

The garruk frame is indeed beautiful
I'm not a fan of those dark promo frames however, or the basri or chandra frames for that matter
Teferi and Lilli are cool

A bunch of new Counters cards were spoiled, these are my two favorites:
conclavementor.jpg
wildwoodscourge.jpg

Conclave Mentor is the Signpost card the Selesnya +1/+1 counters deck has been waiting for. I've considered Winding Constrictor before, but the snake was never in the right colors for me. Conclave Mentor might make me re-consider my position on this deck in green/white. I already run a bunch of cards with incidental +1/+1 counters, so perhaps there will be enough to make this work this time :).

Wildwood Scourge looks really fun to play with. Ivy Elemental isn't exactly a great floor, but I think the ceiling here might be high enough to justify playing the card. You can play the Scourge at any point on your mana curve and not have to worry about "wasting" a card since it's practically guaranteed to get bigger in a deck with a few other counters cards. I like the design of this card very much and I hope I have a chance to play with it, even if it is only in a retail limited setting.